Bigfoot 21 Moving to Winter Campground: Tow Issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Bigfoot 21 Moving to Winter Campground: Tow Issues

When I bought my 21 last summer, the previous owner (with 3/4 Ton Ram) delivered it to my campground site here in Northern New Hampshire.

My 21 now has to be moved from campground storage (by Nov 7th) to a winter site 80 miles south of here in NH. My 4 Runner is not up to the task (5000lb limit and no brake controller) so I was going to rent a 1/2 ton u-haul pickup truck, however it does not have a brake controller and thus I'm not sure about how to achieve the tow. The 21 of course has brakes and did come with sway bar setup as well. Can anyone offer any advice or feedback, especially if you own a 21? Can this be done safely without using the trailer's brakes? On E Trailer there is a Blue Tooth Controller called an Echo controlled by the phone. Plugs into the 7 wire from the TV. Expensive but is a possible solution for using the Uhaul pickup. Much appreciated. (Over the winter I am going to get a suitable TV so this is a one day solution til spring)
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You could also hire an RV mover. Check with RV dealers, repair shops, and storage yards in the area for recommendations. Some might even offer the service.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #3

Name: davee
Trailer: looking
ca
Question Get a Bigger Truck

The heavier the vehicle and tow rating VS the weight of the trailer = the amount of required breaking needed - someone correct me if I am wrong please
daveebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Brakes are designed to safely stop the full GVWR of the vehicle. If the total weight of the vehicle and trailer is greater than the GVWR of the vehicle alone, then trailer brakes are indicated. The owner's manual should give the threshold for trailer brakes. Some states set a lower threshold by law. Trailer brakes shorten stopping distances and improve control even when not required.

A Bigfoot 21 requires working trailer brakes by any measure.

In my opinion it's risky to tow with a rental truck that doesn't come fully equipped for a trailer of this size. It may even violate the rental contract. Hiring an RV mover seems like the better option to me.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Towing

If I was in your situation I would take a short tour of the landscaping and snowplowing companies in the area. I would ask the owner if he would be interested in towing the trailer, and has a suitable vehicle. Most of the time those fellows are looking to make a buck and the round trip of a little over three hours might be attractive to them. It is the end of the landscape season and prior to the snow season yet. I know when we sold supplies to landscapers they were always looking to making some cash. A couple bucks a mile, even three ought to do it in my estimation. They almost all have ton trucks and regularly tow heavy trailers if they are anything like what we have around where I live. Doesn’t cost anything to ask. Maybe they would rent you a truck, who knows.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Hiring a professional RV mover means their business insurance covers your trailer if there’s a mishap. Hiring someone off the books means you and your insurer are assuming the risk. You’ll have to decide what you’re comfortable with.

Tags
bigfoot, vin