Bigfoot 25 With Toyota Tundra? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Bigfoot 25 With Toyota Tundra?

Would love to hear from those who are towing their Bigfoot 25 RQ or FB with a Tundra 5.7L.
Thanks.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 2021 Bigfoot 25B25RT. Prior units: 2019 Escape 21, 2001 Casita SD17
Kentucky
I will take pictures this evening after work. Thanks for the idea.
Shawn
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Tundra towing specs in general are lower than the new F150. For instance, payload maxes out at 1600 pounds, 381HP, 401ftlb torque. Option your truck up and you will see payloads of 1200 pounds.

Believe it or not, the 2018 3.5L Ecoboost maxes out at 3200 pound payload! 375HP, 470ftlb of torque. Thats the max tow package, and heavy duty payload capacity package too. Doubt your local dealer is going to have one of these, so it means ordering your vehicle and waiting, which is what I would do! You will have to spec your truck carefully to get these numbers, but its still incredible. The rest of the Ford line is pretty similar to Chevy and Dodge, but still better than Tundra.

Even with options, you still are going to have a lot of payload out of the Ford. With close to 1000 pound tongue weight, and stuff in your truck, you are going to quickly run out of the Tundra's payload. I have 1450 pound payload out of my 2010 Lariat, lots of options. I bet a new Tundra with similar options would be much lower. I wouldn't tow that Bigfoot with my truck.

Realize the F150 is Ford's big profit machine. They are going to go all out to keep the top selling vehicle status and best in class statistics. Max Dodge Ram 1500 payload? 1880 pounds. Max Chevy Silverado 1500 payload? 2250 pounds.

Ford has really upped its game. My 2010 doesn't have anything close to those ratings.

Now to the question of whether anyone is doing it, I have no doubt there is someone out there doing it. People regularly ignore tow limitations on their vehicles and just go for it. And if you talk to them, most will tell you it works just fine. I talked to someone towing a Boler with their Honda Fit. Sure enough, they reported it worked just fine even though the Fit has zero tow rating. Its almost a point of pride with some people. Can you top this?

IMHO, in the world of towing, anything works SOMETIMES. It works until you get on that long grade, up or down, or with strong side winds. Then you have that come to Jesus moment. I had one of those in my early towing years. Got back home in one piece (lucked out) and bought a lot bigger truck.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Swapped for a 2012 Tundra and love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
IMHO, in the world of towing, anything works SOMETIMES. It works until you get on that long grade, up or down, or with strong side winds. Then you have that come to Jesus moment. I had one of those in my early towing years. Got back home in one piece (lucked out) and bought a lot bigger truck.
I agree with Thrify Bill on the general subject of towing. Anything works sometimes...

We used a Jeep Wrangler to tow our Scamp and that was maximizing the Jeep's towing ability. When we decided to sell the Scamp for something bigger, we bought a Bigfoot fifth wheel. This required a new tow vehicle with some major towing capabilities.

Lucky for us, we were able to find a 2012 Toyota Tundra with the towing package that really has the power to pull. We've added a goose neck ball hitch in the bed to which we can attach the Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch that we've purchased from Amazon. These two hitches combine to make a very strong fifth wheel platform for excellent pulling/towing.

My truck has more power and is faster than any car or truck I've ever driven. Of course, all that power comes at a price of MPG performance that is appropriately about 20 mpg while being used as my daily driver and about 15 mpg when towing and taking it very easy. I believe in understanding the "total cost of ownership" and it's important for me to remember that my oil changes will cost in excess of $75 because of the extra oil capacity for the oil cooling system. Also included in this vehicle is an extra transmission cooler that will require extra fluid when serviced as well.

It is my opinion that most people don't really understand the details of towing and what specifically affects the towing rating on each vehicle. Major points to understand and include in your calculations include, but are not limited to, engine size, wheel base, differentials, transmission, cargo capacity, towing capacity, hitch capacity, vehicle weight, trailer weight and hitch weight. One way to think about these things and how they're interrelated would be to consider that my truck has the "towing package" that provides for more towing capacity. However, the towing components of that package reduce my cargo capacity as well as my overall towing capacity. This change is reflected on the sticker that was added to the door post noting the changes to towing capacity.

Figuring how these calculations are made is more than a little complex. It is my opinion that most pickup trucks are nothing more than glorified wheelbarrows. Most standard sized trucks are suited to only carry light weight cargo or tow a utility trailer. It's not until you step into a "work truck" of an F250 or Chevrolet 2500 that you begin to see a real increase in towing/pulling/cargo capacities.

Understanding all this is tough but not knowing or taking someone else's word for what your tow vehicle can safely pull is risky at best and potentially dangerous. Start with your owner's manual and remember to factor in your own body weight, the weight of your passengers and camping gear including water.

I have no doubt that my Tundra could pull the weight of your Bigfoot 25. I'd have to check the hitch weight and the capacity of my frame hitch because I think my truck may not be able to carry the hitch weight of your camper. Remember that we are pulling a fifth wheel and the calculation for our "pin weight" is different than a standard tag-a-long hitch capacity. It's a lot to understand and complicated to figure out.

I hope this helps you with your decision. Be informed and stay safe.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Thanks guys.
We have two E Bikes which are 55# each. If I am looking at a 20 year truck I need to get a five foot high canopy like the SpaceKap Fiberglass to ease loading.
To load a half ton with all of this I am going to be maxed out.
My overbuild tendency is kicking in where I’m thinking 2500/3500 and maybe 8 foot box for the business.
But I’m sure by tomorrow I’ll be on some new tangeant!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Tundra towing specs in general are lower than the new F150. For instance, payload maxes out at 1600 pounds, 381HP, 401ftlb torque. Option your truck up and you will see payloads of 1200 pounds.

Believe it or not, the 2018 3.5L Ecoboost maxes out at 3200 pound payload! 375HP, 470ftlb of torque. Thats the max tow package, and heavy duty payload capacity package too. Doubt your local dealer is going to have one of these, so it means ordering your vehicle and waiting, which is what I would do! You will have to spec your truck carefully to get these numbers, but its still incredible. The rest of the Ford line is pretty similar to Chevy and Dodge, but still better than Tundra.

Even with options, you still are going to have a lot of payload out of the Ford. With close to 1000 pound tongue weight, and stuff in your truck, you are going to quickly run out of the Tundra's payload. I have 1450 pound payload out of my 2010 Lariat, lots of options. I bet a new Tundra with similar options would be much lower. I wouldn't tow that Bigfoot with my truck.

Realize the F150 is Ford's big profit machine. They are going to go all out to keep the top selling vehicle status and best in class statistics. Max Dodge Ram 1500 payload? 1880 pounds. Max Chevy Silverado 1500 payload? 2250 pounds.

Ford has really upped its game. My 2010 doesn't have anything close to those ratings.

Now to the question of whether anyone is doing it, I have no doubt there is someone out there doing it. People regularly ignore tow limitations on their vehicles and just go for it. And if you talk to them, most will tell you it works just fine. I talked to someone towing a Boler with their Honda Fit. Sure enough, they reported it worked just fine even though the Fit has zero tow rating. Its almost a point of pride with some people. Can you top this?

Bill stated it pretty well , payload capacity is a real issue with a Tundra or a Ram . The 1600 lb payload listed for a Tundra is often without options and there lies the problem.
Ford offers much better towing and payload capacities because trucks are Ford's biggest seller and product line and not an after thought like other truck brands

My Ram 1500 5.7 Ltr V8 Is maxed out on payload capacity when I am towing my Casita 17 ft SD.. I would not attempt to tow a Bigfoot 25 with my Ram or a toyota but then I for one try to keep within a vehicles stated limits.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I recommend staying within published limits, preferably with a cushion. If the vehicle was ever involved in an incident, your insurer and those of other vehicles are likely to run the numbers. This could place you at a disadvantage.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a 2011 Toyo Tundra, 4x4, dbl cab, 6.5' box, 5.7L engine, six speed. I have a Leer 180CC (mid height) fiberglass shell (225lbs), a Bedslide (215 lbs), tools in cabin (say 50lbs). I have Firestone air bags.

I tow a 17' Casita Deluxe with a Overtank platform on which is mounted a Honda eu3000is on a Lowpro Lockdown unit. Casita weighs about 3700lbs loaded (includes several cases of water, abt 1/2 tank of water, empty black and gray tanks). My Tongue weight is 435lbs.

On my driver's side door sill it says my max payload is 1337lbs.

Soooo....1337lbs - 215lbs - 225lbs - 50lbs - tankfull of gas (37lbs estimated) leaves about 450 lbs left over.

450lbs - 435lbs (weight of tongue when hitched up to trailer)= 15lbs for cargo. OMG. OMG.

I carry at least 700lbs of stuff in the back. I am overloaded.

Until I did this calc for you I did not understand. I am despondent. OMG. I am in a panic.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I have a 2011 Toyo tundra, 4x4, dbl cab, 6.5' box, 5.7L engine, six speed. I have a Leer 180CC (mid height) fiberglass shell (225lbs), a Bedslide (215 lbs), tools in cabin (say 50lbs).

I tow a 17' Casita Deluxe with a Overtank platform on which is mounted a Honda eu3000is on a Lowpro Lockdown unit. I have Firestone air bags. Casita weighs about 3700lbs loaded (includes several cases of water, abt 1/2 tank of water, empty black and gray tanks). My Tongue weight is 435lbs.

On my driver's side door sill it says my mx payload is 1337lbs.

Soooo....1337lbs - 215lbs - 225lbs - 50lbs - tankfull of gas (37lbs estimated) leves about 450 lbs left over.

450lbs - 435lbs (when hitched up to trailer)= 15lbs for cargo. OMG. OMG.

I carry at least 700lbs of stuff in the back. I am overloaded.

Until I did this calc for you I did not understand. I am despondent. OMG. I am in a panic.
CALM DOWN , there is no need to panic . This problem is easy to solve. Sell or trade in your present truck for a truck that is designed and built for towing like the Ford F150.
We ran into the same problem . We have a FG truck topper (225 lbs) , rubber bed matt (60lbs) a trailer tongue weight of 430 lbs ,
2 slightly overweight passengers (410 lbs ) and our 75 lb chocolate lab (75 lbs) Which leaves us with less than 100 lbs for additional cargo.
Both my Ram and your toyota are not really built for towing if they were they would have a sufficient payload capacity like Ford and Chevy.
I have no one to blame for my predicament but myself .
I should have done my homework!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think Toyota tends to rate things rather conservatively.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Perhaps, but they certainly are not competitive tow rating wise with Ford. They aren't competitive rating wise with the regular F150. And Ford's max payload version has twice the payload rating. When you consider the F150 is a half ton pickup, yet Ford has a version that can handle OVER 1 1/2 tons, its pretty amazing. I have to wonder what Ford ratings looked like 10 or 15 years ago.

One would think Toyota would be closing this difference gap, and perhaps they are working on it behind the scenes.

The truck market in the USA is very profitable, thats why so many are in it. Ford and others are not going to easily lose this profitable business without a fight. Expect Toyota to turn it up a notch or two.

Each of us needs to make their own decision. If you are comfortable operating a truck over its published limits, that is up to you. Since I always like to have extra margin in reserve, I stay well within the published limits (except for my first towing experience, 35 years ago, where I was way over the limits of my truck. Lesson learned.)

Also, all the payload limits I have seen included a full tank of gas. What is not included is the weight of passengers, pets, gear, and ANY owner or dealer added options. These options can really add up weight wise.

I would not be surprised if half the personal TV/trailer combos out there have the TV over one or more of its limits. Been there, done that. Adding air bags, more leaf springs, whatever will not increase the payload limit, but decrease it (due to the added weight of the changes). It can improve drive-ability, which can be a very useful improvement.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/12...d-ratings.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #12

Tennessee
I like my Tundra and have towed the Casita prob 30K miles with no significant problems. However I just noticed my leaf springs are almost flat when I let the air out of the airbags.

I will take stuff out of the Truck box and start carrying things inside the Casita. Still will be a bit over the payload weight.

so I suppose I will add a hitch carrier to the back of the trailer, which also may help a bit.

Maybe adding a leaf spring to each side will also help.

This was supposed to be the last truck I ever buy.

So Tony, as much as I like my Tundra, play it safe and get a 3/4 ton at least.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
My fishing buddy Jim is an attorney and as he often says
"What you and I think carries absolutely no weight in court. "
IE ; If Toyota says the payload is 1200 lbs then the payload is 1200 lbs until you can prove to the court Toyota is wrong.
My Ram 1500 is a nice , comfortable , well appointed truck but it is not the best truck on the market for towing .
I bought my Ram because of price and I got what I paid for.
Every industry has a leader and competition keeps the leader on its' toes.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My fishing buddy Jim is an attorney and as he often says
"What you and I think carries absolutely no weight in court. "
IE ; If Toyota says the payload is 1200 lbs then the payload is 1200 lbs until you can prove to the court Toyota is wrong.
My Ram 1500 is a nice , comfortable , well appointed truck but it is not the best truck on the market for towing .
I bought my Ram because of price and I got what I paid for.
Every industry has a leader and competition keeps the leader on its' toes.
I also think that court cases based on exceeded towing capacity or payload capacity are as rare as hen's teeth. Why don't you get your fishing buddy to research it?

Nevertheless, and notwithstanding my previous comment about Toyota's conservative ratings, if I were shopping for a pickup today it would most likely be a Ford. (I would only consider a Ram if I also bought the lifetime maxcare service contract.)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 AM   #15

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
We would not even have considered the Toyota Tundra as a tow vehicle except that it proved it's capabilities for our specific application: Bigfoot fifth wheel.

We easily fit into the pin weight as well as the towing capacity including all our gear and dogs. This truck won't pull a lot of other loads, but, we don't intend to do that, ever.

It was clearly understood that when we purchased our Bigfoot that it would be our forever camper. Big enough for us with the right capacities for what we needed it to do. I would definitely look at a 3/4 ton truck or larger, maybe a dually, if I were considering another purchase for a standard camper/trailer. But, we're very happy with our set up and it's all we'll ever need.

Read your manual and educate yourself. Be realistic and think about how long the truck will last as well as how long the camper/trailer will last.

bill(not laura)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #16

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
I realize this thread is about a Tundra.

But I had this link to Ford's towing guides by year so I post it as an example. Here you can look up your truck (or proposed truck) by year, exact drive train, wheel base, options, tongue weight etc and find Ford's actual ratings.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

I'm thinking Toyota (each manufacturer) probably has a similar page.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I also think that court cases based on exceeded towing capacity or payload capacity are as rare as hen's teeth. Why don't you get your fishing buddy to research it?

Nevertheless, and notwithstanding my previous comment about Toyota's conservative ratings, if I were shopping for a pickup today it would most likely be a Ford. (I would only consider a Ram if I also bought the lifetime maxcare service contract.)
Mike , Jim (Lawyer) was not referring to any particular case or towing.
I was involved in a law suit and he was remarking to something I said about the principal involved and my thinking. Remember in a court of law you don't get to decide.

My question is " Why would you buy a new truck and purposely overload it , regardless of any legal ramifications ? " You can believe that the Toyota is conservatively rated and I can believe that the world is flat but it doesn't make either one of them true.

I realize Ram , Chrysler. Dodge does not have the best track record and I respect your point because it's based in fact. That being said , I would rather walk then drive or own a toyota.

My daughter runs a large insurance agency and according to her they have quite a few claims involving towing and trailers.
I would suspect that many of the accidents are based on people's inexperience with towing but again that's my educated GUESS .

Why should an attorney waste his time researching towing accidents to satisfy your curiosity ? Or was that question designed to be sarcastic or clever. Well it failed !!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #18

Oklahoma
You seem a bit tense, Steve. Time to get out and unwind around a campsite, if you can.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I owned a 2008 Tundra extended cab. It had the 5.7. Thought it would pull my Bigfoot 25. It did, but I didn't like it when pulling or descending grades. If felt a little like the tail wagging the dog.
I sold it and bought a used Silverado 2500HD with a gas hog 8.1 and Allison transmission.
Needless to say, I don't worry anymore about the tail wagging the dog. Nor do I concern myself with a lack of power. And I love the Allison!
Think I will keep it!
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:25 AM   #20

Tennessee
Although I have air suspension and use a WDH on my 2011 Tundra I am wondering if I should add a leaf to my rear springs to help out with my overweight situation. Maybe I also need to upgrade my shocks. I really like the Tundra and don't want to get anything bigger if I can help it.

I have towed the Casita probably 20K to 25K miles to date with no problems.

Tags
bigfoot