Bigfoot B17 brakes faded? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Bigfoot B17 brakes faded?

The brakes on my 1986 B17 bigfoot trailer are really faded, has anyone done a brake job on them?
If so, what am I buying for parts?
Bigfoot camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #2

Name: Tom
California
Renewing brakes on bigfoot

While this response is not specific to the bf17, I rebuilt our 1986 tf20 Bigfoot brakes by replacing the entire backing plates, complete with all hardware, shoes and electronics. 4 bolts, and a wire splice,
much easier to do, and not much more than the shoes! They are common trailer components, auto parts stores may stock them or they are available online also.
While your at it replace the wheel bearings and seals, and if your brakes are not smooth consider having the drums turned.
My mode is do it once and do it right, a 1886 trailer would appreciate the complete brake renewal.
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would buy the Dexter brand brake assemblies. I bought some other brand from etrailer and had a problem with one assembly. Amazon and etrailer have the Dexters, along with bearings and seals.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Have you removed the hubs and checked the componets? If good componets they might be out of adjustment.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Name: Alex
Alberta
Thanks for the responses! I have not got into it yet, I was wondering how to order the parts, if there is a way to know what you're buying by measuring something for the brakes and bearings.
Bigfoot camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #6

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...BoCR0sQAvD_BwE
Old 08-22-2021, 10:25 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Xplore X22
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot camping View Post
The brakes on my 1986 B17 bigfoot trailer are really faded, has anyone done a brake job on them?
If so, what am I buying for parts?
Faded usually means overheated. But in this case, I guess you mean getting weaker. Right? If so, they are likely getting out of adjustment. Adjusting the brakes is normal maintenance and it can, or will, make them work like new again.

If you ha
ve less than about 20,000 miles on your rig, they are probably not worn out, but out of adjustment.

Get yourself a brake spoon and do some research on how to adjust them. It's not hard and nothing has to be disassembled to do it.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Faded usually means overheated. But in this case, I guess you mean getting weaker. Right? If so, they are likely getting out of adjustment. Adjusting the brakes is normal maintenance and it can, or will, make them work like new again.

If you ha
ve less than about 20,000 miles on your rig, they are probably not worn out, but out of adjustment.

Get yourself a brake spoon and do some research on how to adjust them. It's not hard and nothing has to be disassembled to do it.
That is why I asked this question: Have you removed the hubs and checked the componets? If good componets they might be out of adjustment.

Tags
bigfoot, brakes