Bike Rack Weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 05:10 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
Bike Rack Weight

I have a 15' Parkliner TT. It is ready for a bike rack to be attached to the rear bumper.

Any suggestions about the max weight that it can hold? We're looking at e-bikes and don't want to buy something we can't haul.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't Know about Parliner bumpers, or how strong they are. Of course any "sewer hose" type bumpers are automatically unacceptable for any bike rack, let alone an e-bike or two, but I do know that most bike rack manufacturers specifically state that their racks are not to be used on the back of travel trailers. We also have two e-bikes, a Rad City (mine) and a Rad City Step-Thru (the wife's,). They each weigh in at a little over 60 Lbs. each, so we don't carry them on the back of the trailer. Instead we have a Saris triple track, which just sits on the floor of the pickup bed. Don't use anything to support it, it just sits there, not screwed or mounted to anything, and doesn't move move around. Very secure and stable. It does require the removal of the front bike wheel, which also sits in its own U shaped bracket that also attaches to the rail.

https://www.saris.com/product/traps-triple

If your trailer has a beefy enough 2" receiver that can support it, here's a rack specifically made for use with a travel trailer which will carry 2 e-bikes.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...an/S64689.html
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It's not so much the weight of the rack and bikes, but that a lot of folks do not secure the bikes with bungee cords to keep them from flopping around. Which puts all the load on the Receiver socket.
Also, there's a good chance the bikes will hinder visibility to the tail/stop/turn signals, and that's illegal.
AND, the balance of the trailer gets off. You need to keep at least 10% of the total trailer weight on the hitch ball.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The ParkLiner trailers ARE molded fiberglass, similar to Scamps and Casitas.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The ParkLiner trailers ARE molded fiberglass, similar to Scamps and Casitas.
used

Did someone suggest otherwise?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Be very, very careful about what such a load on the back of your trailer will do to tongue weight. Measure it to prevent disappointment.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
I would be most concerned about the rack attachment. A rack that attaches to the bumper alone will not be sufficient. It should be tied into the frame with multiple points of attachment. Scamp adds an additional frame cross member and welds a receiver tube to that as well as the bumper (which is heavy gauge steel). Casita owners typically install a custom receiver hitch that bolts to the frame in four places, bypassing the bumper altogether.

As said, the rack itself must be rated for installation on a trailer. Most aren’t. Make sure it’s rated for the weight of your e-bikes, which run on the heavy side.

If you can get that far, then you will have to figure out how to adjust the loading of the trailer to maintain 10-12% tongue weight. And you will probably have to install an extra set of high mount taillights.

Bikes, especially heavy and valuable bikes, are a good argument for a pickup truck. They’ll be much happier there.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #8

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
This is what I did

I installed a hitch on my frame
Attached Thumbnails
A5AA889F-5BA7-49E3-8268-74CC3FEB8002.jpeg  
CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #9

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
Here is some more

Lots of gussets
Attached Thumbnails
428E6FC6-B854-4DE8-AF4A-328B2E16610D.jpeg   81BD69E9-15C2-4EF9-87A7-8BD41FD376F7.jpeg  

CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Very nice!
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #11

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
I have used this RV certified bike rack w my Parkliner

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Appro...s%2C177&sr=8-4

It's rated for 35 lbs/bike and weighs 39 lbs. My bikes were probably 25 and 30 lbs. It worked quite well with a sway bar. I tried it without, and additional weight on the tongue just didn't work. The analysis at the time was that sway was due to the bikes being so far aft of the axel -- there was too much leverage exerted by the bikes and rack.

I've driven many miles and over uneven pavement (think I 81 in PA and NY!) with no problems using the sway bar.

FYI -- The Amazon entry for this bike rack includes a comparison table of other RV-certified racks that may be helpful.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
... It worked quite well with a sway bar.

I tried it without, and additional weight on the tongue just didn't work. The analysis at the time was that sway was due to the bikes being so far aft of the axel -- there was too much leverage exerted by the bikes and rack.

I've driven many miles and over uneven pavement (think I 81 in PA and NY!) with no problems using the sway bar.
My concern would be rain. Assuming it is a friction sway bar, they lose friction and therefore effectiveness when they get wet. So I could see sway starting when its raining, exactly when you really want a stable rig.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Bike Rack Weight

Personally I wouldn't tow anything with a sway bar that I wouldn't be comfortable towing without one. A sway bar is a back-up system, not a corrective for an unstable trailer.

We carried two bikes on the back of our Scamp 13 without sway or incident for 5 years, but when the anti-wobble bolt stripped out on the even of a trip, I found a way to carry the bikes inside the trailer. In addition to being secure and protected, the trailer handled noticeably better on curved mountain roads, so much so that I decided to permanently retire the bike rack.

They are easier to load than a rear rack when you consider you have to mount the rack on the receiver, secure the bikes to the rack, stabilize them to keep them from banging each other or the trailer, and cable the whole mess to the frame (for security and as a safety back-up just in case the rack or attachment fails). Saved 35# or so by ditching the rack.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	132333
Old 11-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #14

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Hitch mount bike racks?

Has anyone tried a hitch mounted bike rack?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8076C40A-79CD-4B15-A459-AABF63F2ADB5.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	132376
Old 11-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #15

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
I have seen several of these and wondered how they work. Looks like a good idea overall compared to a rear bike rack.
Artoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Much better, but it will add 75-100# to your hitch weight. Since many people tow molded trailers with smaller vehicles, it's something to take into account. Some molded trailers also have fairly short tongues, so there can also be interference on turns to manage.

All in all, I consider it the second-best way to carry full-size bikes (next to an enclosed pick-up bed or van cargo area).
Old 11-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Bike rack

Don't do it the hitch can take the weight but the bike rack can't no matter what the rack maker says can't take the bouncing no matter how well you strap them it will fail .
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #18

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
It's been awhile since I posted anything, but here's a solution that I used. If you're handy you can make a rack to hold a couple of bikes inside your camper. I made this one so that it would come apart easily for storage when not in use. The two long narrow pieces are dovetailed into the larger board, but are only held in place by the weight of the bike. I simply placed it on the floor of the camper and then added the bikes. It never seemed to move around much, but if it had, I think adding some rubber to the bottom would have worked.

It's made with a piece of 2x6, another of 2x4, and a couple of pieces of 1x4 strapping. The truck bed clamps hold the fork with the front wheel removed and velcro straps secure the rear wheels on the strapping. Here are a couple of photos:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0324.jpg   IMG_325.jpg  

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #19

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
Bike transport

We researched this a couple of months ago. The general consensus was that, with a rear-mount rack, all the bouncing will ruin either the bikes, the rack, or the trailer. Not to mention the towability of the trailer.
We looked into the tongue rack, but we have a double propane rack with cover (and battery, and brake thing) and it wouldn't fit well.
We also looked at an adaptor that has a ball for the trailer as well as a receiver for a bike rack. Looked great, but again we didn't have enough clearance due to all the other stuff already on the tongue (the bike would touch the propane cover when turning corners).
We ended up with a car mounted rack and good peace of mind.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
I have several DIY ebikes that I carry inside my pickup bed. The 8 foot bed is covered with the tallest ARE truck cap. I can carry 3 or 4 bikes, less if one is my recumbent tadpole trike.

My latest creation "not done yet" is to tall to fit inside the cap. I've purchased a front mount hitch for the truck as one possibility. I have also noticed that Bigfoot Trailers are quite heavy in the tongue. I may look into a frame mount hitch for my trailer so I am not putting any weight on my rear bumper.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...urt/13703.html

My best bikes have evolved to about 100 pounds each.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight