Boler 1700 Axle specifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
Boler 1700 Axle specifications

Anyone know off hand the stock/factory dimensions for the 17 foot boler single axle?

IE:
WMS to WMS length
Perch center to perch center distance

Mine appears to be 49.75 inches center to center and 72 wms to wms but that's inside the normal 'recommended' perch spacing for a trailer axle, reducing the 3500lb spec on the axle to 2800lbs..?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
Mine appears to be 49.75 inches center to center and 72 wms to wms but that's inside the normal 'recommended' perch spacing for a trailer axle, reducing the 3500lb spec on the axle to 2800lbs..?
Both dimensions seem about right, as I recall. Yes, the axle capacity is reduced by the larger-than-normal overhang from spring to hub face (which is supposed to be no more than something like 9", again just from memory). Boler only promised something like 300 lb of cargo carrying capacity beyond the wet weight, and the wet weight was only supposed to be about 2400 pounds, so with 10% of the trailer weight on the coupler, 2800 pounds is still enough. There may be good reason here to not push the trailer's weight capacity...

I have some notes on this from several years ago, and I will try to remember to post specific values or confirmation when I have access to that information.

By the way, "wms" is presumably "wheel mounting surface"; I think this is more commonly called the "hub face" width.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Both dimensions seem about right, as I recall. Yes, the axle capacity is reduced by the larger-than-normal overhang from spring to hub face (which is supposed to be no more than something like 9", again just from memory). Boler only promised something like 300 lb of cargo carrying capacity beyond the wet weight, and the wet weight was only supposed to be about 2400 pounds, so with 10% of the trailer weight on the coupler, 2800 pounds is still enough. There may be good reason here to not push the trailer's weight capacity...

I have some notes on this from several years ago, and I will try to remember to post specific values or confirmation when I have access to that information.

By the way, "wms" is presumably "wheel mounting surface"; I think this is more commonly called the "hub face" width.

Ya.. I did the calculation from the manual, my trailer dry is 2170 or something.. and they say add 20% for wet weight or 300lbs (whichever is more)..and that's 20% at 2600lbs so I figure it should be fine.

And yes, WMS is Wheel Mounting Surface but hub face works too.

Thanks, just wanted a 3rd party opinion on the measurements to ensure mine wasn't some half-assed job someone else did in the 35 odd years my egg has been in existence
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Don - another note, since it appears from your other post today that you are considering an axle replacement: since you are buying a new axle tube anyway, I believe that you could go up to the next larger tube size (3" instead of 2-3/8"), while staying with 3500 lb hub/brake components (Dexter 545 hub group) and 3500 lb springs, to address the strength issue. It isn't in the standard Dexter catalog listing, but I know that I have read about people ordering them this way; I can't find the discussion - it may have been in the Bolerama forum, rather than here.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

British Columbia
Good point. I was getting standens to build me one.. ill ask about tube diameter.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #6

British Columbia
Ok so new axle is ordered. I ended up getting a 3inch diameter tube as you suggested, he included top plates, ubolts and new hangers for the frame as a kit

worked out to 72 face to face, 49.5 perch center to center.

I ordered perches on the top as well as bottom so I can make my choice by lining it up with my truck at the time of installation..

Springs, hardware, axle, 11 inch brakes, both sets of perches shipped to surrey for just under $500
Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Name: Rudi
Trailer: 17' Boler
British Columbia
Perfect!

I should have go to this thread before replying on the other. I've been out of touch for a couple of weeks.

Rudi
Rudi and Sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

Name: Kit
Trailer: Boler 1700 RGH
Nova Scotia
49.5 perch distance?

I am trying to replace the rusted axle on my 1700. I can't get a completely accurate measurement for the perch distance on the old axle, but measuring the frame where the springs attach would suggest that center to center the distance would be exactly 50 inches. While this is not a large discrepancy with the distance of 49.5 inches from above, I want to get it right. I doubt there is variation in the frame, so is there a possibility that the design calls for a slightly smaller perch distance?
KitD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #9

British Columbia
Are you measuring to the edge of the perch hole or center of perch hole?

I always measure to center of hole of course. Fyi mine worked out great.. And I'd wager that 1/2 inch isn't going to matter much and the spring movement will eat it up.
Kinslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, boler