Boler axle modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #1

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Boler axle modification

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the axle arms and re-weld them so they are parallel to the frame or downward slightly ? I am wondering if this is even possible for temporary axle fit? What are the drawbacks to this? Is this even worth effort as the rubber inside is worn out?

It is 1972 Boler with worn torsion axle.
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No it's not possible with a torsion axle. The rubber will catch fire and burn up. And, if you do with the axle on the trailer... the trailer may burn up as well.

When you say "temporary fit" what are you trying to accomplish?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

British Columbia
(The wife here...)

He is trying to get out of buying a new axle...... hoping that there is some way to salvage or repair the existing one.

It's the going debate around our house right now. We will end up buying a new, proper (safe) axle as soon as we get the frame off and get a better look at the old axle
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Cutting corners on running gear, tires, axles, bearings, etc. etc. is very likely to be false economy. If the running gear fails at highway speeds the damage possible is pretty great. Why increase the risk?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks for the input. I was just wondering if there was a trick or "mod" for torsion axle rebuild. I will not be jeopardizing the safety of my family over saving money.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Certainly nothing wrong with asking... how does anyone know the answer until the question gets asked? Your trailer, if it's a 1972, if very soon to be 40 years old. That would make the axle (if original) almost twice the typical "life." The best way to save money, is to do as much maintenance work on your trailer as you can and only spend the money on the things you absolutely can't do. For instance, I don't weld... that I pay to have done.... YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

British Columbia
Yes definitely we are blessed that we have four welders in the family and my uncle owns powder coating business. So for most structural things we are set. Since we are doing a ground up restoration its nice to know more about restorations and what can and can't be done.

Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Hi
I have posted my experience with Escape trailers in Chiliwack. I had them replace my worn axle last summer. $610 cdn including tax.
That was with brakes and was installed by their welding shop. No one can beat his price because he orders axles for his trailers. Get Reese to order one in for you and install yourself. Search for other posts by me and it will give the total breakdown.

Rick
Vancouver
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler