Boler brake controller and power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: boler 1978
British Columbia
Boler brake controller and power

Hi all

So I decided to pull the trigger and do a full install for trailer brakes. I've ordered everything I need except the brake controller. I'm waiting till last as I've read they sometimes arrive DOA and I don't want to be past return date if it takes me a while.

Whats the general consensus on the latest model and type for a decent one? Should I get time based or pay extra for a proportional? My tow vehicle maxes at 3500lbs so I'm never going to tow more than a single axle.

For wiring I've already got factory/proprietary 4 pin that will go with the vehicle when I sell it so I think its best to wire separate for the brakes/power and meet at the 7 pin adapter on the hitch. There is no factory prewire for brakes/power.

Most controllers seem to want 30 amps but that's for 6 axles. I'm thinking I'll separately wire a 20 amp circuit from the battery to controller and since I'm going to 7 pin I'll also pull up to 6 amps from that for battery charging while driving. I've read in many places that 10 inch brakes take 4 amps max X 2 = 8 + 6 for charging is 14 amps. In my mind that's pretty much perfect on a 20 amp circuit. Am I missing anything there?

Thanks!
kip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
My Scamp brake current

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip22 View Post
Most controllers seem to want 30 amps but that's for 6 axles. I'm thinking I'll separately wire a 20 amp circuit from the battery to controller and since I'm going to 7 pin I'll also pull up to 6 amps from that for battery charging while driving. I've read in many places that 10 inch brakes take 4 amps max X 2 = 8 + 6 for charging is 14 amps. In my mind that's pretty much perfect on a 20 amp circuit. Am I missing anything there? Thanks!
If you are thinking of a tow vehicle mounted controller, go to e-trailer.com and search for your vehicle. I like the Tekonsha controllers.
The picture is my 2017 Scamp brake current measurement. Don't skimp on wire size, smaller wire will have a larger power loss.
Attached Thumbnails
BRAKE I.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: boler 1978
British Columbia
Thanks for the solid info Kenneth.

That amp draw is in line with what I'm sizing for. I have ordered stuff from etrailer but I live in Canada so between exchange shipping and customs fees things can get more pricey than local.

I've been looking at

Tekonsha 8508220 Brake-EVN
and
Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ
kip22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler