Brake Control for scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
As much as I like the Tekonsha controllers I found the three piece Hopkins Insight brake controller to work at least as well and it offers versatile placement and ease of access without knocking your knees on it...
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpgHI1.jpg   thumbnail.jpgIB1.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How easy is it to apply brakes manually? I wouldn't want to have to search for it in an emergency. My Prodigy P2 has a lever that it large enough to locate without looking for it, assuming you've practised some.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How easy is it to apply brakes manually? I wouldn't want to have to search for it in an emergency. My Prodigy P2 has a lever that it large enough to locate without looking for it, assuming you've practised some.
On the Insight, the electronic box is under the dash completely out of the way.
The read out screen is separate and can be placed anywhere, even at eye level.
The actuator can be placed anywhere as well, in a place easily reached.
I chose that spot because it is a simple drop of my right hand and feels natural for control.
Hookups for the screen and the actuator are attached to the box through what appears to be telephone type snap-in cords.
I have a P3 on the shelf in the shop, but I decided on the Insight because I could not find a good spot on my new Ranger for the P3 which wasn't a knee knocker and/or hard to see or reach.
Love the Insight and have towed about 4000 miles with it so far.
It is easily adjusted and very responsive as well.
The slide lever is at the top in the second picture below and the unit can be placed at any attitude. In the spot I chose, it is acts as a single large ergonomically comfortable button which is a simple one finger operation.

OH! and the low price ain't a bad thing either.

Here is an ad with an explanation and some videos...

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ers/47297.html
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpgIB5.jpg   thumbnail.jpgins3.jpg  

thumbnail.jpgIB2.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I love the Insight placement flexibility, it is my brake controller of choice.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalmike View Post
I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in my 2009 VW Tiguan 5 years ago and have had zero problems with it. Recommended.

Re: The bright display, the display color can be changed. The blue color seems to me to be the easiest on the eyes at night.

Mike
It might seem easier on your eyes, but red light is less disruptive to night vision.

Also, I have a spare Tekonsha RF setup if someone would like one for $200. I bought it because I thought I was picking up a trailer this weekend and needed it immediately while I *also* had a bid in on an eBay one since I wasn't expecting to go pick up a trailer this weekend...of course I won the ebay one today and will be receiving that sometime next week
ExCivilian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp