Brake Control for scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13
Illinois
Brake Control for scamp 13

I need to install a brake controller in my 2017 Jeep Wrangler TV. I have a 13 foot Scamp. They range in price from $40 to $250. I am not sure which one is best for me. I don't think a scamp 13 would take much but I don't mind spending a little extra for a good quality unit. Any one have any recommendations or advice. Actually I know you do so bring it on!
Thanks

JPBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
In general I like the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3 (I have the P3).

Check for any pre-wiring or other considerations for your particular vehicle.
Based on this I am guessing it is not prewired for a brake controller (but that is only a guess).
One good place to check is eTrailer.. this video as well as others on their site.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...ted-90195.aspx

You could save some wiring effort and spend more money by using an RF controller. I would not unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Based on this I am guessing it is not prewired for a brake controller (but that is only a guess).
One good place to check is eTrailer.. this video as well as others on their site.

You could save some wiring effort and spend more money by using an RF controller. I would not unless there is a very compelling reason to do so.
Ditto! good choice.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I'm #3 in a BIG "Yes" for the Tekonsha Prodigy; my 10th year without ONE single issue with that brake controller. I've never heard a complaint on them. You're getting what you pay for!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
I got the Kurt wireless. Easily goes between multiple vehicles,/ new t.v.. like the panic button feature.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
What gordon2 posted .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #7

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
I’ve been using the AuTOWbrake that Evelands recommends. An advantage is that you can hook up to a 4-pin. Take power from the trailer rear light wire and drive with your lights on. I acknowledge that Tekonsha is the overwhelming favorite on this board.
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeleccleston View Post
I’ve been using the AuTOWbrake that Evelands recommends. ..
I don't know if they really recommend it except for Subaru's, or maybe to save them the labor of a fully hardwired controller. I heard they started offering it after Subaru model(s) had a problem with other controller(s). In any event, it is much easier to install it so that might be why they like it. That does not make it the better controller and I would argue that it is not.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:

All this saved me from typing it. Exactly what I would have said. I think the biggest difference between the P2 & P3 functionally is the P3 can handle more extreme mounting angle.

Look to where you can mount the controller and read the specs on the two controllers. Make sure you mount it where you can reach the manual override. Very useful to bring a swaying trailer back under control. location has to allow mounting at less angle that the max that controller can handle. I think the P3 can mount straight up and down and still work, the P2 needs to be closer to horizontal but can still tolerate a good deal of angle, just not 90* Mine is under dash of a ford escape.

Progressive only. Avoid the time delay Unless you are mounting in a sideways orientation. Those time delay are more or less an on/off box with a delay so the electric brakes don't engage before the hydraulic brakes of the vehicle. Triggered by brake light circuit. Make sure they don't get on the circuit that the 4 way flashers will power. Going slow up a steep hill with the flashers on the trailer will keep tapping it's brakes every time the taillights flash. It happens, that's all I will say about that.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #10

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I've never read that (below)! Interesting. You taught me something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Progressive only. Avoid the time delay Unless you are mounting in a sideways orientation. Those time delay are more or less an on/off box with a delay so the electric brakes don't engage before the hydraulic brakes of the vehicle. Triggered by brake light circuit. Make sure they don't get on the circuit that the 4 way flashers will power. Going slow up a steep hill with the flashers on the trailer will keep tapping it's brakes every time the taillights flash. It happens, that's all I will say about that.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #11

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Prodigy P2 mounted under dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Prodigy P2.jpg  
Old 04-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Look to where you can mount the controller and read the specs on the two controllers. Make sure you mount it where you can reach the manual override. ....
Perhaps the biggest challenge is finding a good spot to mount it - where you can easily use the over-ride, where it won't interfere with air bags if they get deployed (VERY important), etc. Download the manual(s) before purchase and plan it all out.

The display on the P3 is more advanced. The P3 can display the amps as well as volts, and I think the P2 does not show amps. But I have not compared the two in detail.

Both the Prodigy P2 and P3 can be mounted from 0 degrees to 360 degrees vertically in the direction of travel. The Front of the P3 must be horizontal and the directions say that the front of the Prodigy P2 must be horizontal (+_ 20 degrees). It sounds like the P2 might provide a little more mounting flexibility regarding the front being horizontal. If you can't find a location that is "front horizontal" but can find one that is within 20 degrees I would suggest calling and verifying the P2 will work. Otherwise with the front being horizontal I prefer the display on the P3.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd focus the search on what brake controller works best for your Jeep Wrangler.

I bet there is a Jeep forum out there with some great ideas on where to mount a controller, and which one to buy.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13
Illinois
Thanks for all the great info. I will check with the jeep people and see if they have any recommendations on controllers and mounting spots.
JPB
JPBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Shopping
Minnesota
Quote:

Howdy Gordon,
Can you or anyone else advise me? I bought the Tekonsha Prodigy RF as you suggested. I own a 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i and a fully loaded 2017 Scamp 13. However, since I have a Stromberg Cargo Carrier there's no room to mount the break controller on the trailer frame without welding a plate to accommodate the break controller. Jared at Scamp HQ mentioned mounting it in the closet. However, I have no idea how that's possible since it has to plug into the 7-pin on my Subaru.

Thanks in advance,
Kathy
mnhoneybees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:30 AM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhoneybees View Post
Howdy Gordon,
Can you or anyone else advise me? I bought the Tekonsha Prodigy RF as you suggested. I own a 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i and a fully loaded 2017 Scamp 13. However, since I have a Stromberg Cargo Carrier there's no room to mount the break controller on the trailer frame without welding a plate to accommodate the break controller. Jared at Scamp HQ mentioned mounting it in the closet. However, I have no idea how that's possible since it has to plug into the 7-pin on my Subaru.

Thanks in advance,
Kathy
Without seeing your trailer (or photos of it) its hard to say what is best. Chances are you could pull the trailers plug back inside, mount the BRAKE controller inside and run the 7-pin plug from the BRAKE controller to the tow veh. But welding or bolting on a mounting plate somewhere on the tongue does sound like the better option.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I don't know what your set up looks like, but on my Trillium I did this.

You can buy longer 7 pin pigtails with a waterproof junction box on Ebay. In my case, I got a shorter one and mounted the J Box on the trailer A frame. But I could have easily just gone with a longer one and put the J Box inside the trailer, which in my case I would have put inside the front gaucho.

The auction link is an example. They are available with longer or shorter pigtails.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7Way-Traile...8AAOSwOzldnLAn

1977 Trillium 7 way plug by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #18

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I don't know what your set up looks like, but on my Trillium I did this.

You can buy longer 7 pin pigtails with a waterproof junction box on Ebay. In my case, I got a shorter one and mounted the J Box on the trailer A frame. But I could have easily just gone with a longer one and put the J Box inside the trailer, which in my case I would have put inside the front gaucho.

The auction link is an example. They are available with longer or shorter pigtails.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7Way-Traile...8AAOSwOzldnLAn

1977 Trillium 7 way plug by wrk101, on Flickr
I installed that exact same harness and junction box on a Thor trailer to replace a worn out cable and metal 4x4 junction box that was way too crowded for my liking. It is darn near impossible to just replace the connector on the end of a 7 pin cable due to the size of some of the wires, so I bought a new harness. The junction box with the studs makes the wiring neat.

Main difference between a P2 and P3 controller is the display, and the fact that the P3 can save the settings for 4 different trailers. Be aware that the display on a P3 is BRIGHT at night, even on the dimmest setting. Luckily mine is mounted down low and the steering wheel blocks my view of it at night, otherwise I would have to do something different.

A controller to consider if dash room is at a premium is one made by Redarc. It has a hard mounted remote box so the only thing on the dash is a knob to operate the controller.

https://redarcelectronics.com/collec...ke-controllers

Charles
Old 04-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Airstream
Connecticut
I installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in my 2009 VW Tiguan 5 years ago and have had zero problems with it. Recommended.

Re: The bright display, the display color can be changed. The blue color seems to me to be the easiest on the eyes at night.

Mike
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Tekonsha Primus

Our TV, a 2012 Rav4 V6 came with a Tekonsha Primus controller and it works great with our loaded 13' Scamp layout 2.

JDeBox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp