Brake Controller for Xmas??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #21

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Had no trouble finding the 'connector' in my '08 Tacoma for the P3 controller but, the plug'n play connector for the Tacoma required a 'ground' connection in addition to the 'plug'. I was gonna use a ground connection inside the cab but past experience has taught me that the closer you can get a ground/neutral to the battery ground connection, the better off you are. So, I ran a 12ga wire (white) through the firewall to the same 'lug' where the battery 'ground' is connected to the body/chassis... Dunno whether or not your Borrego requires a 'ground' wire or not but if so I'd recommend similar.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1641 - Copy.JPG  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #22

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Paul (Santa),

THANKS! To be honest, I have been a pretty good boy this year! Yup, it is amazing how much wiring there is in newer vehicles. A bit different than my old '67 Chevy Pickup.

Harvey,

Thanks for the heads up. I am anticipating that "Plug-n-Play" is more of a theoretical term than a reality. We shall see! I am anticipating that Santa will deliver a brake controller in the next 4 to 9 days via Amazon!

Take care,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #23

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I'm about to purchase the P3 myself. I really like how the controls are all in the front and push button instead of dial. Saw it for $127.99 with free ship at amazon today. I have an old Tekonsha voyageur that's a pita to use. Light color changing thingie goes from yellow to amber to dark red for brake force, blah blah in short it's annoying. The P3 looks better for a short timer like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #24

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Wendy Lee,

Yup. That is a good price for P3. I have seen them for 139.99 that includes the Plug n Plug harness specific to your tug. If you don't need that and the universal one that comes with the controller is fine, then 127.99 is the best price that I have seen.

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #25

New York
Registry
Just as a heads up...I've just realized that Amazon (or their sellers) toy around with their prices at will. On the day I posted the $127.99 price above, that was indeed the price. Two days before Christmas, the same unit was up in the $141.00 range. Going to look again after Christmas to see if the seller(s) are now depressed and saddened with their holiday sales and hope to hock off a few P3's at the cheaper price I originally saw. Ha Ha!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I picked a P3 up for $117 (including a Toyota specific cable) at Jet.com using their first time order 20% off discount. Strangely they sell it with the brand specific cable (and the regular generic cable) for less than without. If you search around they show them available with several different brand specific cables included. ANDROID20 is the first time coupon code that worked for me - not sure how long they will be offering that.
Eric Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Just as a heads up...I've just realized that Amazon (or their sellers) toy around with their prices at will. ..
Many retailers are doing daily or even hourly price changes based on market research. I tend to put things on my wish list at Amazon and then wait, I often end up seeing the price lower in a few weeks or months.

Although I have not used it, there is this Amazon price tacking website (among many others) that are supposed to give you a price history and / or forecast so you can get the best price. And shopping beyond Amazon will also result in lower prices sometimes. I buy a lot at Amazon but I am not married to them and always look for better prices elsewhere.

Lastly, I am convinced that Amazon sometimes sells open box or returned items as new. I even got a SSD hard drive one time from Amazon with the seal on the outer and inner packaging broken. Returns are easy and at their expense but it does delay things.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #28

Kentucky
Registry
Hi CampyTime, Eric, and Gordon2,

Yup, I have noticed that Amazon prices fluctuate, but for that matter so do the prices of gas and bread!

I cross shop, but will buy from Amazon most of the time. The older I get, the less I like to Xmas shop. For the last several years, I will do Xmas shopping via Amazon often in one evening. Two to seven days later all items are delivered! My DW will then round out by doing the boots on the ground shopping. I get good prices and don't have to deal with the crowds, free shipping, and a great return policy. I, too, am not wedded to Amazon, but it often works for me! If I need an item right away that needs no research, then I buy local. If I have time and an item that requires surfing the net, I order via Amazon at the end of my research session. Bam, done!

In terms of the the brake controller, Eric, your $117 with the Toyota specific cable for the Prodigy P3 was outstanding from Jet.com. Those coupon codes and/or first-time buyer discounts can be used strategically to help out!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #29

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

By the way, Santa was good to me. I now have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller with a Kia Borrego specific wiring harness.

Now, I need to install it and can then concentrate on learning more about hitching, our WDH, and anti-sway bar.

Loving the learning process.

My brother and his wife will be here on Tuesday for several days. Looking forward to showing off the Casita/Borrego combo!

Take care,

Dean

P.S. - The RV bug is running rampant in our family. My youngest brother-in-law just did a full renovation of a late 80s Avion. Looks amazing. He and his family just finished a Xmas camping trip in the Smokies. Another brother-in-law just bought a Ford F250 Diesel for work-n-play. He is now looking at used TTs and 5ers. My brother has the bug, but will probably have to wait for a bit.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #30

New York
Registry
Very jealous of the P3!! Ha ha. Not really, good for you! Mine will wait till post-Christmas cash reserves get replenished.

Hope install goes well for ya.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #31

Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

The Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller has been installed. You know it is easy to do, if I can do it!!!

Now on to the next step with the learning curve.

Take care,

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #32

New York
Registry
Awesome Dean! So glad it worked out well for you! On to your next learning adventure!

Wendy

Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #33

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Wendy Lee,

Hmm, the learning curve adventure, let me see. . .
1. Hitching & unhitching.
2. Towing & Backing up.
3. Hooking up & setting up camp.
4. Using systems in the Casita
5. Tank dumping.
6. What to take.
7. Where to go.
8. Where to go next.
9. Repeat #8
10. All the nuances I left out.

This is all so cool!!! As soon to be empty-nesters, maybe we won't get bored!!!

Dean
Old 12-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #34

New York
Registry
Ha ha! Very cute Dean. I'm an almost empty nester with about 7 years trailering experience and I'm still learning and hopefully getting better at things. It is fun though, and often fulfilling and rewarding. In addition, frustrations come and go, except the ones with myself for doing dumb stuff. Ah well.

Have fun!

Wendy

Old 12-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #35

Kentucky
Registry
Wendy,

To be honest, I wish we would have done this when the girls were little. We had a great time with vacations, road trips, local parks, backyard camping, grilling, building bond fires, etc., but I think owning a small trailer when the girls were little, we would have done even more traveling and outdoor stuff. NO RUSH for grandkids, but by the time we get them, maybe we will know enough to camp/travel with them in our little Casita!

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #36

New York
Registry
Got my Prodigy P3 in the post today from amazon. $118 bucks and change. Can't wait for towing and camping season to try this beauty out. Goodbye fussy voyageur!

Got the PD charge wizard too. Hurry up end of April!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #37

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Wendy,

Great brake controller at a wonderful price. Congratulations.

I see you are from New York. I am a NYer by birth. I spent the first two years of my life in Phoenicia, NY, which is a small ski resort town in the Catskills. I have not been back since June, 2000. Would like to camp in the Catskills and Adirondacks!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #38

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I couldn't agree more
I m also from the Catskill area grew up in the big city of Deposit NY
I m sure you've heard if it ( lol)
In Delaware county on Delaware river
It got it's name because of all the sawmills and that is where the logs were floated to and deposited

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dean,

Looks like you're definitely on your way with camping. Might see you at Piney Rally again this year in a BIG way..huh?

Darral
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #40

New York
Registry
Hi Dean,

Nice to hear from you. Although I now live in Sanborn, I'm originally from Watertown. Miss those hills. Snow is inevitable here anywhere.

I often think of getting out of NY when I retire to head to warmer climates, but that will depend upon what my kids do and go. Plus I have to think about my brother who's disabled.

At 51 and lived here all my life, the cold and snow is normal. I must say it makes me really appreciate daffodils.

Best,

Wendy.