Brake question - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Scamp
United States
Registry
Brake question

Our first trip with our Scamp 16 and first experience with electric brakes. We tow with a V6 Highlander equipped with tow package. I installed a Reese proportional brake controller and did some testing to get it dialed in as best as I could. Instructions are vague on this but I ultimately settled on a setting of 4.5. This would avoid locking the brakes, when testing on gravel, unless I really stood on the pedal. No real issues except for one long downhill section in Montana. We experienced a lot of brake chatter coming from the Scamp. I wasn’t riding the brakes, I would knock off some speed and then coast, repeating as we crept up to 70 mph. Once the brakes cooled, this chatter never occurred again. Wondering if this was just normally overheating of the brakes or am I still dialed up to high with the controller?

St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Probably just overheating as new brakes wore in. Downshifting the tow vehicle is a better and safer way to control speed going downhill.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote