Brakes for a 13' Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1985 13' Scamp
Washington
Brakes for a 13' Scamp?

Hello. Am looking for advice regarding whether we need to put brakes on our Scamp? My wife & i purchased a 1985 13' Scamp. We've gone on four camping trips and just love it! We pull it with my 2003 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. It has been close to completely reconditioned, except for the axle is not fitted for brakes. I've heard a few opinions of brakes vs. no brakes. One is that the trailer is to light (1260 lbs.) for needing brakes. Regarding ordering an axle with brakes, no problem (Scamp Co. says they have them).
Any thoughts/advice on this topic will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Fox S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox S. View Post
Hello. Am looking for advice regarding whether we need to put brakes on our Scamp? My wife & i purchased a 1985 13' Scamp. We've gone on four camping trips and just love it! We pull it with my 2003 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. It has been close to completely reconditioned, except for the axle is not fitted for brakes. I've heard a few opinions of brakes vs. no brakes. One is that the trailer is to light (1260 lbs.) for needing brakes. Regarding ordering an axle with brakes, no problem (Scamp Co. says they have them).

Thanks, Steve
Welcome to the forum Steve! I doubt there is a right answer. I personally like brakes. The smaller the tow vehicle, the more important they are. The newer programmable brake controllers allow you to customize the braking which makes them even more flexible. If I'm driving on ice or other slippery surfaces, I especially like some pull back there.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Thanks, Steve
If you are going to replace the axle, buy the brakes. If the last 50 years are any indication, laws will become ever more restrictive ad infinitum.
You might as well be ahead of the curve!
They will help at resale, or if you become restricted to a smaller vehicle in the future (see above).
In the meantime, it is fine to tow that trailer with your Ranger, which has more than adequate brakes for the task. The 40% rule is just met and trailer weight presently meets requirements in every state, or nearly every state depending on which chart you read.
I have brakes on my Scamp 13, I tow with a Ranger and an Escape, I really like them. They add to the margin, and even with only 7" brakes, the combination works more smoothly and feels more integrated with the tow vehicle.
I have retrieved many older 13s, over long distances, which were not equipped with brakes and I never felt any real need for them.
One tangent thing to remember... Brakes or not, you must drive slower with the trailer than without, and maintain greater following distances in traffic, if you wish to maintain the same safety margins for handling or stopping .
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Steve, not having brakes on the trailer becomes a maintenance issue on your tug. You'll find your tug will go through brakes faster, much faster. Trailer brakes are cheap to replace, tug brakes not so ...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1985 13' Scamp
Washington
Thank you for all the reply's.

If we decide on axle/brakes I'm wondering whether we should take the Scamp to an RV mechanic or if a local mechanic/brake shop would be best?

Also, is anyone familiar with a company in Washington State (save on paying shipping costs) where we can order an axle/brakes?

Steve
Fox S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for all the reply's.

If we decide on axle/brakes I'm wondering whether we should take the Scamp to an RV mechanic or if a local mechanic/brake shop would be best?

Also, is anyone familiar with a company in Washington State (save on paying shipping costs) where we can order an axle/brakes?

Steve
Howdy Steve,
I would suggest a trailer company. If there's one close by that sells, builds, repairs utility trailers, the axles are the same for your Scamp and usually trailers is all they do.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:

Steve
Steve, Washington State is BIG. If you're in Southern Washington along the I-5 corridor, I'd suggest Potter Webster in North Portland, Oregon. No sales tax in Oregon either!

If you're in Northern Washington... I'd run over the border and have Escape Trailer Industries do the work. But, leave your checkbook at home or you may want to trade your trailer for a new Escape
Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Hi Steve,
When I bought my 13' Trillium it didn't have brakes. 35 years in the trucking business has taught me brakes are better than no brakes. I took a couple of trips before I had the brakes installed by my local mechanic and was fairly comfortable with how well my rig stopped. However, I found a huge difference in stopping power after I had the brakes installed. My two cents... get brakes.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #9

Name: nancy
Trailer: 1985 Scamp
Washington
Thanks everyone for the great information. Yes, Donna, we are close to Oregon, so we will check out the place you suggested.

As always, we can count on fellow Eggs People to head us in the right direction.

Thanks....nancy and steve (Fox S.)
nancy and steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Hi Nancy and Steve - - - Bill here

The people at SIX ROBBLEES' INC., in PORTLAND, OR. are the distributors for Dexter Axles for all of the northwest and even supply four locations in Alaska. They are terrific!!!

One of their warehouse/stores here in Eugene has practically adopted the "EGG People" of FGRV. Every year they supply us with what comes close to an endless supply of "Axle Stuff" for the Oregon Gathering. The Dexter Axle District Manager has agreed to come to the 2012 Gathering and give a presentation with working displays, thanks to the efforts of Greg Houser the store manager.

You can contact the SIX ROBBLEES" STORE in Portland and say that Greg in Eugene suggested you contact them about your axle. They sell hundreds of axles every year but you wil find yours is just as important as the others. They don't do installations there but will be glad to refer you to a shop that does quality/dependable work. The axle will be built to the measurements of YOUR trailer! When it comes time to "swop axles" you will be in-n-out of the shop in less than two hours. You'll be sooooo proud!!!

SIX ROBBLEES' INC

3677 S.E.Edison St.
Portland,OR.97222
1 800 452-4754
1 503 652-9971
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Ooooops, Sorry Donna. I bow to Donnas' suggestion for installation. She knows the territory much better than I.
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #12

Bill, I don't know if Potter-Webster does the installs, that's just where I bought the axle for my Scamp. I didn't even ask if installation was possible there. I noticed Steve was just looking for a place to "buy" so there's where my suggestion came from.

I wonder where Six Robblees would send someone for welding... I'm looking for someone to do some welding on my Scamp.... hummm, may have to call them myself!

Thanks Bill
Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I've started the leg work to determine what's needed to add brakes to my Scamp 1300. I pulled the wheel off and was happy to see that the mounting plate with the 4 holes for mounting the brake lining mounting plate are already in place. So no plate has to be welded on

I made an attempt to see if I could add 10" brakes. It looks like the deal breaker is the bearing size on one of the bearings. Since I'm not prepared to weld on a new spindle or make custom races it looks like 10" brakes are out. Too bad, I wouldn't have minded the larger size and 7" brakes look like they're becoming obsolete. Cost wise the 10" appear to be the same or cheaper.

So far the best deal I've found for the 7" ones is $148.00 for the whole works, wire and all.

Anyone know of 10" brakes that can be added or a better deal on the 7" ones?

Ron in BC
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've started the leg work to determine what's needed to add brakes to my Scamp 1300. I pulled the wheel off and was happy to see that the mounting plate with the 4 holes for mounting the brake lining mounting plate are already in place. So no plate has to be welded on

I made an attempt to see if I could add 10" brakes. It looks like the deal breaker is the bearing size on one of the bearings. Since I'm not prepared to weld on a new spindle or make custom races it looks like 10" brakes are out. Too bad, I wouldn't have minded the larger size and 7" brakes look like they're becoming obsolete. Cost wise the 10" appear to be the same or cheaper.

So far the best deal I've found for the 7" ones is $148.00 for the whole works, wire and all.

Anyone know of 10" brakes that can be added or a better deal on the 7" ones?

Ron in BC
A couple of points... The 7" brakes are still available and are the only size offered on the straight spindle axles. Scamp still supplies them.
The $148 sounds like a really good deal for a complete kit.
Does it include drums/hubs?
Does the wiring kit include the RV Plug?
If those two answers are yes, then you best grab the deal.

Your trailer has a 2200# Dexter axle with 1-1/16" straight spindles.
3500# axles are the most common size on utility and light RVs, They use 10" brakes on tapered spindles. Being more common would account for the simialr price.

You know what they say...You can make million of them for a dollar each, or one of them for a million dollars!
I have a Scamp 13 deluxe with 7" brakes and they are adequate for the task.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #15

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Scamp is a great company to do business with but being in the middle of no where their shipping charges are atrocious.
Check with northerntool.com.
Complete 7 inch brake kits hubs and everything is $239.00.
I have done business with them for years.
I've bought at least 4 brake kits in the last 5 years.
Their customer service is great.
7" brakes are more than adequate for a 13'.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, scamp