Break controller? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2022, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: David & Delight
Trailer: Casita ID
Colorado
Break controller?

We have a (brand new to us) 2016 Casita ID. Do we need a break controller? When we rented a Casita through Outdoorsy, they had a plug-in controller for us to use. We can't find anything in the manuals. When I try to research Colorado law, it sends me to Chevy. 😁. If it matters, our TV is a 2008 Lexis GX470.
Delight in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I'm not in any way being snarky, but if you spell it "brake" instead of "break" you will get better results.

Here's a link to something I found:
https://trailers.com/state-laws/colorado.php
https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-4...-42-4-223.html
https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...quirements.pdf

I think you'll find more when you search using this term.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #3

Name: David & Delight
Trailer: Casita ID
Colorado
Oh geez! It must be Friday night. I'm usually a better speller than that! Can I claim autocorrect?

Thanks for the help!
Delight in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
If your RV has brakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delight in CO View Post
We have a (brand new to us) 2016 Casita ID. Do we need a break controller? When we rented a Casita through Outdoorsy, they had a plug-in controller for us to use. We can't find anything in the manuals. When I try to research Colorado law, it sends me to Chevy. ��. If it matters, our TV is a 2008 Lexis GX470.
If your RV has brakes, you need a brake controller.
etrailer should be a good place to start. https://www.etrailer.com/
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:38 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Four reasons you absolutely need the controller.

One, all states require working trailer brakes on a 3000# trailer, and many set a lower threshold. A Casita 17D will exceed that when loaded.

Two, the owner’s manual for your tow vehicle also specifies a threshold for trailer brakes. I’ll bet it’s lower than 3000#. Check the towing section. .

Third, brakes will make your towing safer. Think long downgrades, emergency stops, trailer sway.

Fourth, trailer brakes will reduce wear on your tow vehicle brakes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Other laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Four reasons you absolutely need the controller.

One, all states require working trailer brakes on a 3000# trailer, and many set a lower threshold. A Casita 17D will exceed that when loaded.
And watch out for states that have one law for trailers and another for RVs. Like Wisconsin.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:13 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
At least in BC, if your trailer has brakes you are required to have them hooked up thru a brake control.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I have found that in many cases people have misinterpreted the laws, or have been given bad information by someone, for example towing Trains (two trailers) is permissible in Ontario in very few cases, , usually restricted to commercial registered vehicles, and drivers, however we see it all the time with truck-camper-boat combos. it's illegal, but usually MTO ignores it. I would bet if there was an accident, it would no longer be ignored in that case.
Trailer gross weights are another issue, you have to combine the weight of the trailer, and the weight of the load in determining brake requirements, but common misconceptions like if it has brakes they need to be hooked up, and if it's registered gross if 6000lb, then it has to have brakes in Ontario are only misconceptions.
You need to check your state laws, and anywhere you will be towing

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote