Breakaway Switch - How to wire it in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Breakaway Switch - How to wire it in

Hello all

I'm puzzling out the wiring on my Boler 13. I'm rewiring from scratch. An axle with trailer brakes is on the way. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to include a breakaway switch into the system. I have a 6 wire connector between tow vehicle and trailer. I will also have a 12volt battery onboard the trailer (possibly 2 golf cart batteries). I'm towing with a Subaru Forester, and have a Tekonisha P2 controller.

I'm planning to wire as recommended in this image (courtesy etrailer.com):
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/gr...043_aa_600.jpg

Question: I have a Hopkins trailer breakaway switch. There are 3 wires on the switch. One is ground. That one is easy. The other two I'm not sure how to wire. How do I wire it in to the above diagram?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The breakaway switch has one lead connected to the blue brake wire and the other lead connected to the wire that goes to the fused battery lead (red/black in the diagram).

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/20050.pdf
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The breakaway switch has one lead connected to the blue brake wire and the other lead connected to the wire that goes to the fused battery lead (red/black in the diagram).
Yes, there is an indicator led on the switch.

Let me see if I understand: if the pin is pulled the switch will complete a circuit between the red/black and blue wires. This will effectively tell the trailer to lock the brakes. When the pin is in place, the brakes will be activated by the blue wire which is connected to the brake controller.

Do I get it?

Derek
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
...........Do I get it?

Derek
That is how it works.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
That is how it works.
Thankyou!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
You want the positive side of the battery connected to the blue brake wire when the switch is closed ( pin pulled). A caution: I read somewhere that you should not test the switch with your brake controller connected. Apparently you can damage some controllers this way. Unplug first, then pull the pin. You should hear your brakes magnets energize. If you jack up the wheels first, they should not spin. Be aware, you are draining your battery when you do this. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
.... A caution: I read somewhere that you should not test the switch with your brake controller connected. Apparently you can damage some controllers this way. Unplug first, then pull the pin. ....... Raz
So I guess the lesson is to have the breakaway cable just a little longer than the wiring harness.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
... and your insurance paid up.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote