Bumper protector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Hi folks, Does anybody know of a Canadian manufacturer or distributor of a metal shield that goes between the ball and the bumper. (see example) http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BG~80400.htm
My Toyota -supplied trailer hitch for the '06 Toyota Sienna came with a factory drawbar with a 4" rise...too high for the Trill...so I swapped it out for a Reese drawbar with a 2" rise, but shorter length. Despite my rubber "crash padding" on the tongue, it doesn't take much to bump the incredibly thin plastic skin of the rear bumper . A steel guard like the one in the etrailer ad would do the job for me. I don't want to pay shipping and duty for a heavy thing like that, and with our 80cent dollar, it would be double the internet price. Soooo...is there a similar item in the Canadian marketplace that someone could recommend? Heading south in three weeks and would like to "cover my rear" with an item like this.
Peace...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Hi folks, Does anybody know of a Canadian manufacturer or distributor of a metal shield that goes between the ball and the bumper. (see example)http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BG~80400.htm
My Toyota -supplied trailer hitch for the '06 Toyota Sienna came with a factory drawbar with a 4" rise...too high for the Trill...so I swapped it out for a Reese drawbar with a 2" rise, but shorter length. Despite my rubber "crash padding" on the tongue, it doesn't take much to bump the incredibly thin plastic skin of the rear bumper . A steel guard like the one in the etrailer ad would do the job for me. I don't want to pay shipping and duty for a heavy thing like that, and with our 80cent dollar, it would be double the internet price. Soooo...is there a similar item in the Canadian marketplace that someone could recommend? Heading south in three weeks and would like to "cover my rear" with an item like this.
Peace...Alistair
Give etrailer a call. You won't escape the difference in the dollar, but they can ship some stuff from their Ontario warehouse. That's where my brake controller came from.

baglo
Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
Excellent info.
Just what I.ve been looking for.

The type Princess Auto carry,won,t work with my set-up.=(sway bar plate).
Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #4

Thanks Glen, I didn't notice the Canadian 800 number in the website, but I will call them on Monday. I checked Princess Auto, Ulysse...Great minds think alike
I think they have just about anything for a trailer from axles to electrics...except this device.
Maybe the rest of the world backs up to a trailer with more accuracy than me
Cheers...Alistair
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500

Baglo is right! That is good info to know, and something to remember. I usually ignore sellers that ship from the US to Canada with UPS because of the outrageous UPS brokerage fees.

From the page:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq_shipping.aspx#shipcost
They say:
To check the availability of a product in the Ontario warehouse, please contact our customer service team at 800-298-8924 (Monday-Friday 8am-7pm and Saturday 8am-6pm Central Time).
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I'll let you know this week if they ship this item from "Tranna".
footnote:kinda cool getting advice from two Bolerama/ Emily eggers
Old 12-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Baglo is right! That is good info to know, and something to remember. I usually ignore sellers that ship from the US to Canada with UPS because of the outrageous UPS brokerage fees.

From the page:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq_shipping.aspx#shipcost
They say:
To check the availability of a product in the Ontario warehouse, please contact our customer service team at 800-298-8924 (Monday-Friday 8am-7pm and Saturday 8am-6pm Central Time).
I called them, but they said they don,t have anywhere in Canada that ships.
Hmmmmmmm , so they did say however that they are on a December sale, and that the total thru regular mail will be 26.54.
Soooooo,,,I braved it, and ordered one.
Should have it here in 1 1/2-2 weeks.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

When you said 'bumper protector' I thought you were talking about what Camping World calls 'skid wheels'.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...d-wheels/16525

I realize eggs don't have the long overhang that stick trailers can have but has anyone had any experience with their camper bumpers bottoming out on driveways?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #9

Hey Ulysse, I called too. Nice lady said they were in stock in Toronto but shipping is only via Fed Ex...to the tune of $23...that on top of a $24 USD ($30 Cdn) plus $5 taxes put it close to $60!!! I figgered for that I'd continue to be careful while in reverse They don't ship parcel post
Let us know what the total cost was when it arrives.
I'll try my hitch guy and see if he can fabricate one from a piece of angle iron.

Happy Trails...Alistair
Old 12-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
have it delivered to your first destination Alistair, and don't unhook till you get there !!!!
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #11

Crossed my mind, Joe! I have no problems getting stuff delivered to Detroit where a relative can declare it at the border and pay the tax (they'd likely just wave it through).
Mebbe I'll just hang a piece of 4x2 from the hatch, slow my reversing to about 30 k/h, and hook 'er up on the second bounce
Boy, I'm gettin' lots of help from the "Emily Crew"
Cheers...Alistair
Old 12-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Hey Ulysse, I called too. Nice lady said they were in stock in Toronto but shipping is only via Fed Ex...to the tune of $23...that on top of a $24 USD ($30 Cdn) plus $5 taxes put it close to $60!!! I figgered for that I'd continue to be careful while in reverse They don't ship parcel post
Let us know what the total cost was when it arrives.
I'll try my hitch guy and see if he can fabricate one from a piece of angle iron.

Happy Trails...Alistair
The girl told me they can send it regular ground mail 4.99,
that is why it will take 2 weeks.
Courier is just tooooooooo much.!!!

I will let you know when it arrives here.

The total I agreed on with a credit card was 26.54 total(that includes the 4.99 shipping).

1-800-298-8924
Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
$23.95 Good Price

Click image for larger version

Name:	80400.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	17208

I might have to get one.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #14

Ulysse, Thanks for the pricing, I guess I didn't want to got the US post route because we are headin south on Jan 3...and I thought with Christmas and mail and delays, it likely won't get here till after we leave. Let me know what the duty (if any) and brokerage fees came to.
Thanks again for the help. BTW, Cabelas sells a similar product that not only protects the bumper, it guides the hitch into position too...about $30 USD
Happy Holidays
Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
..and I thought with Christmas and mail and delays, it likely won't get here till after we leave.
Not to mention that some of the brothers and sisters of one of the locals at Canada Post are apparently or potentially on the picket line. (someone correct me please)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #16

Well, only 5 days since I ordered it, and it arrived here today (in my mailbox).
No extra shipping ect ect.
Proof in the pudding(so to speak).
5 days to get here=WOW
Old 12-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #17

Now I'm kicking myself for not doing the same
My hitch guy found a Canadian company and is ordering...and I'll prolly end up paying more
Oh well, Merry Christmas, everyone
Alistair