Burro Axle Specs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Randi
Trailer: Burro
New Jersey
Registry
Burro Axle Specs

I have a 1986 13' Burro, and want to replace the axle with a new Dexter Axle. Does anyone have a set of specs I could use to order the axle directly from Dexter?
Randi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I do not think Dexter sells direct from the factory to an individual. A good Dexter distributor will probably have everything you need in stock and since they order from Dexter on a regular basis in large volume, the shipping cost is much lower than an individual basis. Check the Dexter website. I have 2 large Dexter distributors in my area and they both have large inventory on the shelf.

Sine your trailer is over 30 years old it probably does not have an original axle anyway.

A very good source of information on axles is Eastern Marine. I have ordered from them and use their website to get information. Best bet is to study the available information and get some measurements directly from your trailer.

Good luck.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #3

Name: Cory
Tennessee
Torsion Axle Information

You may want to check out the first second page of my restoration thread. There is an entry .... Torsion Axle Information . Included are the details of what I think is the correct torsion axle along with a Dexter quote sheet. I did not order or install one of these. I decided to cut mine out and went with leaf spring.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

Name: Randi
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoboatn View Post
You may want to check out the first second page of my restoration thread. There is an entry .... Torsion Axle Information . Included are the details of what I think is the correct torsion axle along with a Dexter quote sheet. I did not order or install one of these. I decided to cut mine out and went with leaf spring.
Thank you, that was very helpful. In particular, the issues with the Burro frame were particularly relevant, I have already had to have several welding repairs on the frame of my Burro. I am using it for extensive travel and I'm on the road 7 months out of the year.
Randi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I do not think Dexter sells direct from the factory to an individual. A good Dexter distributor will probably have everything you need in stock and since they order from Dexter on a regular basis in large volume, the shipping cost is much lower than an individual basis. Check the Dexter website. I have 2 large Dexter distributors in my area and they both have large inventory on the shelf.

Sine your trailer is over 30 years old it probably does not have an original axle anyway.

A very good source of information on axles is Eastern Marine. I have ordered from them and use their website to get information. Best bet is to study the available information and get some measurements directly from your trailer.

Good luck.
Dexter will sell to users. I bought my 3500 lb axle from dexter in Georgia. They were very helpful with measurements etc. Give them a call
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, burro