Cannot Insure My Classic Car to Tow ! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Trillium (formerly)
Ontario
Cannot Insure My Classic Car to Tow !

Greetings all, Still no luck finding someone to insure my classic car and allow me to tow the Trillium with it. Plenty of companies that will insure the car as a classic and also insure the camper for replacement value but soon as I connect them car is void of coverage. Have a couple more brokers to try and if I strike out there I may have to drop the whole idea of the retro ride with the camper.

Tony
T-bird Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bummer Tony. Have you tried Hagerty? I'm not sure they're available north of the US border. I have my 1952 MGTD insured through them, but I don't tow my trailer with the MG either! There has to be someone, towing eggs with a classic tow is done lots of times! What did Doug Mager say? Or maybe check with J.J. McColm out of Alberta. I KNOW he tows a classic Boler!
Attached Thumbnails
cplus.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Did you try the specialty insurers like J C Taylor, Heacock, or Hagerty. My 62 Ford is insured with State Farm, but only for liability, and I didn't tell them it was being used in a movie. We use a restored 76 pickup to pull our 46 teardrop, but again it has only liability insurance on it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tony, something doesnt seem right. We have a large number of folks towing with classics with collector plates on them that attend our meets here in BC. I do know that in BC the trailer has to have its own plates and insurance (including full liability coverage). There is also a really big classic and hot rod show down in Washington each summer and a great many of the cars that attend that arrive with small trailers behind them, many of them fiberglass.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

Ontario
insurance problems

Thanks for all the info folks, really appreciate everyone trying to help out. I have had replies from members out west and it looks like insurance options change from province to province. I have a few more leads to check out. I used the car last summer on a few trips thinking that if something happened I would not be able to claim if there was damage to the car. I have since found out that with classic car insurance you may not even be covered for liability when not abiding by the classic insurance restrictions. Thanks again and I will let you all know how this turns out.

Tony
Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tony, have you checked with classic car clubs in your area. I'm betting some of them tow classic fiberglass or teardrops...

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Tony there are a few in Ontario that have classic cars that tow trailers. 3 of them show up at the Niagara Meet annually. I'll send Alf S. a PM to look at the thread, he might have the contact info for all 3 since he organizes the meet.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Hi Tony
We are here in N S and have wonderful service from an insurance company in New Brunswick.
They insure classic cars and give great rates on old trailers.
Whether they insure as far as Ontario, and the combo, I don't know.
Maybe worth a call or email.

RV Insurance - Classic Car Insurance in Atlantic Canada

Good luck
Donna
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Registry
You might want to PM a Moderator and have them change the heading on this thread to something like Not Able to Insure A Classic Car to Tow or something like that and you might get a few of the car guys attention.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Tony
PM sent with a few members to ask. I've also asked a few to respond here.
Roy
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bird Tony View Post
Greetings all, Still no luck finding someone to insure my classic car and allow me to tow the Trillium with it. Plenty of companies that will insure the car as a classic and also insure the camper for replacement value but soon as I connect them car is void of coverage. Have a couple more brokers to try and if I strike out there I may have to drop the whole idea of the retro ride with the camper.

Tony
Hi: T-bird Tony... You could search the members list for Don N or Mrshobo as they have multiple vintage tugs each. I'd love to have one...but so far all I can do is wait till my present truck turns 25!!!
Maybe you could make it down to Niagara Wine Escape Sept 13-15th. Riverside Motel and Campground and camp with us.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Insurance

We do not use classic car insurance. We use our regular insurer but have a 19A endorsement which is insurance for appraised value. It is not nearly as restrictive for use. It is more expensive but unlike classic car insurance you can remove collision for the off season which brings the cost in line. Not all companies will do this and I think you have to have your regular car insurance with them as well.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #13

Ontario
classic car insurance

Thanks again everyone the response has been great. I will follow up on all the information provided and post how this turns out. Hope to attend the Niagara Wine escape this fall and meet a few members.

Tony
Old 03-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bird Tony View Post
... it looks like insurance options change from province to province.
Absolutely true. Insurers are licensed by province, and it is common for them to offer different coverage - including none at all - in different provinces.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #15

Registry
Also common though even in Provinces with mandatory government run insurance companies that one doesn't need to obtain all your insurance needs from them. In BC for example it is possible to only buy the basic mandatory from the one required company and pick up the rest from a private insurance company. Private insurance providers may have different rules in regards to what they are or are not willing to provide insurance for just as they can vary as to what they charge for the same insurance. Both my car and trailer have the mandatory components of their insurance obtained through the Government run Insurance company - ie 3rd party liability, medical, under insured motorist but the collision & comprehensive coverage to cover me for any damages to either or if either is stolen is covered by a private insurance provider.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Gardin View Post
We do not use classic car insurance. We use our regular insurer but have a 19A endorsement which is insurance for appraised value. It is not nearly as restrictive for use. It is more expensive but unlike classic car insurance you can remove collision for the off season which brings the cost in line. Not all companies will do this and I think you have to have your regular car insurance with them as well.
Exactly!

I have something similar on my '65 Falcon wagon.

No restrictions per towing/use- it's just like any other comprehensive, except for that appraised value clause.

I did save a few bucks by setting an upper limit, though.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
all I can do is wait till my present truck turns 25!!!
Wow, if I keep the Tonka Toy for 6 more years it'll be 25. Maybe I'll hit 200,000 km by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Gardin View Post
19A endorsement which is insurance for appraised value.
That's what I had on the 68 Chevelle, problem was we had to keep getting it appraised (every 3 years?).

Tony there are a couple of meets you might catch prior to the Niagara one. Check out the http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...map-53501.html
Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #18

Ontario
Towing with classic insurance

Thanks for all the info folks, still trying to nail down suitable coverage for the T-bird Trillium combo. Thanks for the heads up on the Ontario meets Roy. I might be able to make the Wainfleet gathering as well as Niagara.

Tony
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
One other option is that you may have to change your classic car insurance to a regular policy but ... with the regular policy you can insure the vehicle for the appraised value. I did this and the cost was reasonable (for insurance that is) and I have no restrictions.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #20

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Tony, I just heard back from my agent who has my daily drivers and my 3 classic cars with Haggerty. They will NOT cover my '65 Pickup when it is towing the trailer. I am glad you brought this topic up as it is something I had never thought of. His only solution so far is to put the truck on with my daily drivers which will be at least 4 times what I am paying now. That really sucks. Have to do some more investigating. If anybody in Ontario finds out different please post on here for the rest of us to keep up to date..
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote