Carlisle strikes again, or thank god for an anti-sway bar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Well Carlisle strikes again, My three or four year old tires with no checking, no cracking, no abuse and less than 5000 miles let me down.
On Thursday we left for Kitchener, a drive of normally 5 hours. About two hours in, BANG...Thump,Thump,Thump...........
I knew what it was, I felt the trailer drop, but almost no sway Thanks to the Reese anti-sway bar. Totally unlike the last trailer tire I lost, with no anti-sway.

We were doing 60Mph at the time, and I stopped as quickly and safely as possible.
Didn't even damage the rim.
Of course I didn't have the trailer jack with me and had to make do with the scissor jack from the van. Worked, but it was hard to crank, 1/4 turn at a time.

I had checked the tires before we left, there was no sign of any damages, weathering, etc, the tires still had the little nubs on the sides, that's how little use they'd seen. The tire pressure was bang on when we left too.

I went to put the spare on, it was really badly weathered, from sitting covered and wet under the vinyl cover (note to self: let it dry out 2-3 times a year after this).

We limped about half an hour further to the first town where i could maybe get tires... The Canadian tire store was open, but there service dept. was closed

However the very kind gentleman at the counter found us a local tire shop about 10 minutes away, that could help us out.

If anybody's in need of tires in Parry Sound Ontario... Go to LeBlanc's OK tire service.
two Hercules 205/75-14 st tires, balanced and installed under 225.00, and after hours at that.
Dave sure is a nice guy. much thanks to him.

Determined to have a good trip we kept on, but realized we would no longer make our check in time. At our next Gas fill-up (Barrie) i called and left a message, hoping they would get it and leave the gate open. They did.

we arrived at midnight, found our spot , and with incredible good direction from my better half backed into our site in one fluid manouver. A quick levelling, and to bed we went.

During the night Donna's hay fever really started to get bad, and she had no pills, they were sitting on the kitchen counter.

First thing in the am I took off for Reactine.
Imagine our shock, when we looked outside and saw our trailer backing onto a fresh cut hayfield. The brochure said lakeside area... who woulda thunk?

It was hot and dry all weekend, we were busy, and never even made the pool. The park was nice,(Green acres in Waterloo ) but the sites too small for us.

leaving Kitchener on Sunday the blower fan in my van died, we ended up driving home in 33* celcius weather (94*US) with no air.

But we camped!, and with a positive attitude we still had a good time. Hope your trips are less eventful, and you should be able to enjoy them as much as we did .
Pictures to follow later
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Wow, what a trip. Sorry to hear about all your troubles, but glad to know that there were good people to help you out and that everyone made it back intact.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Your story mimics my recent blow out at the same speed. worst nightmare come true

I directly attribute the non eventfulness to the sway bar. It was worth the investment for just that split second.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote