Carrying a Bicycle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
We have used a Swagman hitch bike rack on the rear of our 16' Scamp for 3 years. I also have a friction sway control bar, which I consider absolutely necessary to control trailer sway, especially with the rear bike rack. I've found that I need to keep the bikes tied down to the rack frame and the rack's frame nuts secure.
Considered adapting my Saris roof bike racks into tongue racks, but haven't proceeded. I also add weight to the front of the trailer ( camping supplies and/or golf clubs and/or suit cases). I pull with 2012 Highlander.
One warning note: I tie the bike wheels into the wheel frame of the Swagman. In Arkansas 2 years ago a wheel had bounced up and out of the frame and was dragging on the asphalt until another driver alerted us. One bent wheel and chewed up tire was replaced in Galveston.

David, am I Scamping?
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #22

Name: Jason
Trailer: BigFoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:
I guess if one does not want to attach a bike to the trailer in any way would it not just be a better way to have Pickup truck for a TV and put the bikes in the back of it?
Stude

That's the solution that I came up with... decided to pull with an open truck bed and put all the outdoor stuff there. Everything else goes into the trailer. It seems to be working well the last couple of times.
JasonCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
David, I also tie the bike wheels in to the loops or trays. I use the plastic wire ties. Only thing they are good for one time use, but I buy a bag of 100 and it lasts awhile.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I buy reusable ties from Lee Valley Tools.
Releasable Ties - Lee Valley Tools
Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #25

New York
Thanks Glenn, I didn't know about those
Old 09-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Casita and ARVIKA

We have a Casita 17'LD we have had the ARVIKA bike rack for over 3 years. As full timers it has served us well. You need to understand you will have to lift the bikes up fairly high, so if that is an issue you may not like it.
1Puremature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #27

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I like this bike carrier a lot - https://www.walmart.com/ip/17043484 . It can be set up to carry 4 or 2 bikes (just do not attach the second half for 2 bikes configuration). But the most important feature is that it holds bike wheels, but not frame like other carriers. So you can easily attach bikes without a top frame bar or women bike.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #28

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
RE: Bike Rack

I tow my Scamp with a Ford Ranger pickup that has a hitch on the front and carry my bike in front.

However, I also have a welded up mount that slips over the hitch on the back, in front of the ball. There is a short piece of vertical square tube welded to the top of the part that fits around the hitch. Another section of square tube slips over the short vertical stub and a bike rack is welded to that. A hole drilled through them has a bolt or pin so it does not jump off.

I might suggest a 1 1/2 inch long piece of square tube of the size that will slip over the attachment that holds the ball of your hitch, and weld the bike rack to that. Then you can easily remove it when not needed.

I have no luck adding attachments to replies here, but if you send me an e-mail to handleyj@frontier.com I will reply with pictures.

Handley Jackson
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #29

Name: Rob
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Registry
I frame extensions welded on the back of our Burro
Burro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #30

New York
I built a few hitch receivers on pop-up campers. They extended under the trailer and attached to the bumper and two cross members that I also reinforced. Brother-in-law had a welding shop install a receiver on the bumper of his pop-up. All they did was butt weld a stub on the face of the bumper. I told him that was no good, he said it was a professional welder who said it was fine. When it broke off on I-84 and the bikes were dragging in the road behind the trailer I just had to say "I told you so". Then he asked me to fix it, which I did.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #31

Name: Rob
Trailer: Burro
New Mexico
Registry
A butt weld with a cantilevered load sounds like an accident waiting to happen. The 2"x3" channel that holds our extension continues to the front of the trailer. It's welded to the side of the original thin wall box tubing. It has an aluminum pickup bed box on it, then the bike rack. The new axel and larger tires which adds ground clearance are rated at 3,500#'s. We also tow a small motorcycle trailer behind the Burro (not legal in all states). The tongue was extended as well to add stability.
Burro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #32

Name: Glen
Trailer: Coachmen
California
Tried many ideas for a bike rack, but what always bugs me is safety, to make sure the bike would be well-attached at the back (and not flying in the car behind), and also having to remove it at night (having heard many stories of stolen bikes).
So, I looked for a not-too-expensive foldable bike, and received last week the Schwinn 20-inch Loop https://goo.gl/IWdMVi for under $250 (shipping included).
Easy to setup, solid, lifetime warranty, and has lots of good reviews.
Comes with a carry-bag. So, now thinking on how to mount it on the roof.
And fun to ride
glamfib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #33

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
We pull our 16' Casita, and travel with the mountain bikes inside the Chevy trailblazer and canoe on top. That way we can leave camp, drive to a bike trail and have clean bikes safely with us at all times. No worry about weight, sway, or theft.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #34

Name: Rhett
Trailer: Oliver
Illinois
Sherri, Oliver Travel Trailers also makes a mount for their two trailers. Not cheap, but work very well. They just sell the mount and you have to provide the bicycle rack/holder.
john in Illiinois is offline   Reply With Quote