Casita 17ft using Blue OX Sway Pro WDH? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Ret
North Carolina
Casita 17ft using Blue OX Sway Pro WDH?

Hi all,
Anyone using the Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH with their 17 foot Casita? If so, any tips or tricks? Thanks
Retxaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:13 AM   #2

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Are you looking at getting one?

I like mine on my Bigfoot 25RQ, but the various sizes of hitch all use the same very heavy stinger/ball assembly. For a Casita you could probably get away with something much lighter.

The rest is pretty standard WDH stuff. Lift the tongue up high if you're having trouble rotating the chain cam.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #3

Name: Ret
North Carolina
Thanks. Good thought. Now leaning towards Anderson WDH
Retxaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 17' Casita
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxter View Post
Now leaning towards Anderson WDH

Right ! That Blue Ox is good for heavier trailer. A favorite of Airstreamers.
The Andersen is the 'standard' WDH installed by Casita on their trailers at the factory. They will not install any others.
What are you towing with ?
New Orleans John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:38 AM   #5

Name: Jocelyn
Oregon
Bigfoot Weight distribution and sway bar

I'm wondering if these units such as Anderson will fit on a Bigfoot with the fiberglass bonnet over the hitch. Do I toss the bonnet cover to install the weight distribution and sway bar unit.
mtnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:49 AM   #6

Everywhere
For the Andersen or pretty much any other WDH, people generally cut a notch in the fiberglass cover.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #7

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We've owned two Blue Ox hitches. One for our 25' Bigfoot and one for our Lance. It's overkill for a Casita, but will work just fine. We've also had a Andersen for our 26' Cougar. The Andersen is a poor choice for a larger camper but a perfect choice for a smaller camper, such as most campers on this forum.

OTOH, I found it easier to hook up the Blue Ox than the Andersen, but my advice is to go with the Andersen.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

Oregon
Bigfoot Weight distribution and sway bar

Thanks Perry! There are so many choices out there. I have read tons of reviews on them and have narrowed in down to EZ lift, Anderson or Equalizer. My trailer is only 17 ft.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #9

Oregon
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: Yellow Winnebago
Kentucky
You will need to get the 350# or 500# bars for a casita.
RGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: 19 Casita SD
Tennessee
Sway control bar

Hi all Eggnog here… I just replaced the Curt bar from a previous trailer Made the mistake of leaving it in the weather on tongue It got hard to adjust and eventually the guts fell out. Replaced with a $30 harbor freight haul master. Working great on casita 17’
Eggnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
You don't need a wdh on casita just a sway bar is all you need.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:39 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
You don't need a wdh on casita just a sway bar is all you need.
It depends on the tow vehicle, which hasn’t been identified. Many FWD-based crossovers and even some smaller trucks can benefit from a light-duty WDH.

I saw a Honda Passport pulling a 17’ Casita using the Anderson recently. Nice rig.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #14

Tennessee
Sway

The tow vehicle making the difference totally makes sense. I’m towing with F150 4x4 with sway control in tow/haul mode. Also using a Shocker hitch.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:52 AM   #15

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
I have the Curt sway bar that came with the 2013 Casita 17. Not sure what it does, as I've never towed without it. My Ford Expedition is pretty much the same as an F150.

Would there be any advantage to a newer and/or different brand?

I recently bent the ball-mount tab for the sway bar, apparently by turning too sharp while backing up. So now I know to take it off when backing up.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #16

Tennessee
Sway bar

Hi all, As long as the curt sway is working stay with it. The bent ball mount is caused by have the adjustment way to tight. I ripped one almost off in some hairpin turns a few years back. The Harbor freight sway comes as a kit with mini ball for hitch, ball mount for tongue. The mounting bolts are junk, one would need to get four quality self tapping ones. Eggnog out and about.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:19 AM   #17

Everywhere
There's some advantages, but not necessarily worth throwing the Curt out for. Easier to hook up and unhook, fewer squealing noises when turning, and no need to disconnect things to reverse. I went from an Escape with a similar normal/basic hitch to a Blue Ox for the Bigfoot 25RQ. I'm glad I got the Blue Ox, but I probably wouldn't have gone back and gotten one to replace the one that came with the Escape.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:44 PM   #18

Name: Charles
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnuts View Post
I'm wondering if these units such as Anderson will fit on a Bigfoot with the fiberglass bonnet over the hitch. Do I toss the bonnet cover to install the weight distribution and sway bar unit.
Here is a side view of my BOSP hitch on my 25B21RB Bigfoot with the extended tongue and cargo pod/parrots beak. You just trim the fiberglass a little. Lot of work doing a nice job however, using dremel, round files, flat files, etc, numerous test fits, still was not right after I tightened it down, had to take it loose and cut some more.

Charles

Old 09-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #19

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Casita 17LD
Montana
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Cynthia in Montana
Sway bar, hitch length, ball lube

We love the ease of the Curt anti sway bar, but never know how much to tighten it. We use F150 & Explorer & share the same receiver with the little side ball. The 17’ Casita rides a hair nose low. Do we need a ball with a taller shaft?
Would one of those straight hitch extenders change safety in any way? PlayPak guy had a 12” male/female square one so he could open his tailgate while hitched up. Wouldn’t backing up be easier, too? (with Curt off, of course).
Sort of lots of thoughts & questions here. May as well throw in how often does everyone use a ball lube goop?
Cynthia in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita