Casita electric breaks froze on. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Vermont
Casita electric breaks froze on.

My 2019 Casita 17 Freedom with 6000 miles had the brakes lock on while sitting in the driveway after a 800 mile successful problem free trip.

Never had problems with this but during our 800 mile trip, 400 each way, I noticed that the black plastic housing /cover on the electrical box under the seat popped off during transport and the fan housing mechanism was hanging out only held in by the wire harness. I easily pushed it back in place and popped the cover on and all was OK for the trip home. ONce home I noticed it happened again, easily put everything back in place and duct taped the plastic cover back on. Parked it in driveway until a month later, we were going camping again. I moved the trailer from garage area toward the house and it was dragging, it felt like the brakes were on. I thought I would take it for a short spin around the block ( about two miles) it pulled pretty good but not normal with a dragging. I turned around to go home, as I did smoke and burning brake smell cam from left wheel . I dropped it off at our service station that was right there. breaks were burnt and replaced the whole hub.

It pulled fine with the station's truck but a week later I brought it home and brealks were hot and smelly, no smoke.

The brakes are now frozen on again and cannot find the cause. Electrical bad ground is mentioned. Also noted inside the fuse box attached to the housing that partially fell out, a #8 size ground wire was passed though a small hole and the rubber cover of the wire was frayed. No sparks or burns. This may be the problem and is heading back to service station tomorrow to see about finding the problem. Help !!! any ideas, all are welcome. Thanks

Richard
rafletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It sounds like somehow, your breakaway switch has been activated, or there is a short between the brake plus wire and another plus wire somewhere in the electrical box.

Was your battery dead too?
Old 08-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #3

Vermont
I did let the Casita sit for a couple of weeks without the trickle charger, that is when the brakes froze, just sitting there in driveway.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:31 AM   #4

Vermont
yes battery dead only after it sat for a couple weeks, then tried to move it and brakes frozen. Battery has been fine earlier, usually on a self contained trickle charger.

Thanks Richard
Old 08-18-2022, 09:32 AM   #5

Vermont
will check back later tonight
Old 08-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
How does it work if you unplug the connection to the tow vehicle?

Is your breakaway switch working properly? You might need to disconnect it to be certain.

Please keep us posted.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:00 AM   #7

Vermont
Plugged or unplugged the breaks are on, there is a 8" play in the wheel then moves no further. I have not check the break away, I will Thanks
Old 08-19-2022, 07:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafletch View Post
Plugged or unplugged the breaks are on, there is a 8" play in the wheel then moves no further. I have not check the break away, I will Thanks
Your description sounds like the brakes are electrically activated. For testing only, it might be easiest to disconnect all sources of power to the brakes. Disconnect the plug to the tow vehicle and leave it disconnected for testing. Disconnect the trailer battery for the duration. Look for an additional battery for the breakaway system; I would not expect there to be this on a fiberglass rv but you never know. Also make sure shore power is disconnected. In addition to all of the above, make sure shore power is disconnected.

Please let us know how it is going.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #9

Vermont
Casita brakes

Dan, Thanks for the info. After I had the hubs replaced because they were burned, I took the vehicle home and the brakes were again stuck on. After your thread info, I found that the emergency brake cable was missing and the brakes were frozen on for that reason, I disconnected the switch and wheels rotated normally. What a foolish issue. was this the original reason for freezing up the cable being pulled out?? I don't know. I hope is is a dine deal at this point. Thanks again. Richard

Tags
casita