Chains - Which kind do I get help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Chains - Which kind do I get help!

I see chain chains, cable chains, and these yellow studded chains.

Which do I get?

I need to drive 2 miles in and out, so easy on and off would be good as well.
I have a GMC Canyon and probably will not be moving the trailer in and out, just the pickup.

Thanks for your help!
JLynn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20201020_175843379.jpg  
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
If your truck has four wheel drive, why not get a set of M&S tires with the mountain symbol on them instead of chains? Or a studded set?

Two miles in, and two miles out, every day means off and on every day while you are scheduled and on your way to something. Playing with chains is gonna get real old, real fast.

My father, in the last five years he worked, had a two wheel drive truck and found it easier to have a separate set of wheels and tires, all chained up, in the back. He'd simply install the chained up set, rather than install just chains. Each day in the winter, he needed them for five miles each way of the 30 mile commute.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The sign says Required so I recommend you get the ones required by the Authorities. Check with them B 4 you purchase.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
I see chain chains, cable chains, and these yellow studded chains.

Which do I get?

JLynn
Studs are against the law in many states. I mounted many 40+ years ago here in Wisconsin. The problem was that only a few people had them and when they did a panic stop on ice the car behind then hit them.
The sign pictured seems to require chains, I too would check the law and see their definition. Chains cause damage if not tight and must be properly sized for the tire. Real chain can be standard or with ice cleats.
The modern chains picture have a weak latch system the old ones were stronger.
Attached Thumbnails
CHAINS.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I also am looking at purchasing tire chains. However, I want them for occasional use, such stuck in mud or snow, so that I can get out. I found these which can be mounted quite easily if the truck is stuck. My thought is put one on, spin the tire a bit then install the next and so on. I would remove them when I got unstuck. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d-b31d6b1bfbee
Old 10-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I also am looking at purchasing tire chains. However, I want them for occasional use, such stuck in mud or snow, so that I can get out. I found these which can be mounted quite easily if the truck is stuck. My thought is put one on, spin the tire a bit then install the next and so on. I would remove them when I got unstuck. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d-b31d6b1bfbee
I looked at those too. But first, make sure there is room between the caliper/rotor and the inside of the wheel, to clear the straps. They look to be easy to install. Good for getting unstuck, but not as good for stopping on a slick surface, or staying on the road around a corner.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I have a 2-wheel drive Ford Econoline van and when I drove through the Rockies in winter, I was told that I needed chains, but said I only had to have them aboard if stuck. I still have a set of unused chains in my van. The important thing is you need a good jack and board that lets lets you lift the vehicle. Studs are good but not allowed in most states/provinces due to the damage to the roads. Always check with the local police to make sure that you are legal.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Great advice that I never thought of!
Thank you all SO much!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #9

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
The sign is very specific more likely it is a local ordinance.

4X4 "AND" chains are required!

I would check with the people who put the sign up.
That information will be on the sign.

If you use that road and get stuck AND block the access of EMS equipment "it will get very expensive very quickly"

Just'n me think'n
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #10

Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I'd check with the authorities and see if TIRE SOCKS would be acceptable. I understand that installing & removing tire socks is easier than working with chains.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tire+socks&t=osx&ia=places
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #11

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I forgot that my chains came with a clamp which you use on both sides at the same time and drive forward the right amount and if done right don't require jacking up to install chains.

Just an interesting question? If the sign says 4 X 4 and chains required, does that mean chains on all 4? What about trucks with dual rear wheels? life can get so complicated? :-)
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #12

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Automatic Tire Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
Which do I get?
JLynn
Not related to most of this group but I'll post it for entertainment value.
Automatic Tire Chains require air pressure to deploy and then count on the rotation of the tire to work. That works great for going but fails badly in the stopping department.
Attached Thumbnails
InstaChain_Down.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Our local school buses have them and we used to install them on some of the firetrucks we built. I can see where truckers would like them.