Changing rims on 13' scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
I have a 1992 13' foot scamp that's being custom painted and I would like to replace the 13" steel wheels with 14" custom wheels. My question, Will there be enough clearance at wheel wells?
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I have an '84 16ft Scamp. The wheel wells would accommodate 14 inch wheels if the tire cross-section size were to remain the same.

However, a major advantage of going with larger diameter wheels is the availability of larger rim widths that all use of larger cross section tires.

In my case, I was planning to replace the axle and lift the body some to allow the use of six lug 15 inch wheels with 235-75 X 15 tires, the same as on my tow vehicle.

Unfortunately a couple of years ago I had both 13 inch tires develop lumps a couple of thousand miles from home and ended up just replacing the tires with the original size.

We use the trailer a lot, so these new tires are already showing quite a bit of wear. In a couple of years I may find time and energy to upgrade to the larger size.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Quote:
I have a 1992 13' foot scamp that's being custom painted and I would like to replace the 13" steel wheels with 14" custom wheels. My question, Will there be enough clearance at wheel wells?
I used a larger size 13" tire when changing to mag wheels. The important things to know are;
1. Back space: This is the distance from the face of the hub to the inside face of the wheel well. you will need at least 1/2" clearance with the tire mounted.
2. Hub bolt pattern: on my 1972 Boler American the bolt pattern was 4 on 4.5 I needed to find a wheel that had that pattern or change the hubs to some other pattern.
3. Center diamiter: The center of the wheel has to rest on a sholder that keeps the wheel concentric with the hub. If this is not a good fit the wheel will hop as if it is out of balance.

I am fortunate to know a great tire service center that specializes in custom wheels and tires. They helped me fit up the wheels and tires in advance of finding what I wanted. In any event spend the money on good trailer tires. NOT car tires! There is a significant diference! Safety and longivity are the issues. The wheels from most imports will not work with your present hubs and axels. The back spaceing is way too deep.
Marty S
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Custom wheels! Cool. You can get anything you want... at a price. I had "Corvette Rally" wheels with a "Ford" bolt pattern (5x4.5) made for my trailer.... to match my tug and they're 15".

Check out Stockton Wheel
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp