Chevy Express 2500 V6 for towing Casita SD17? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #21

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
I got a V8 F-150, so my payload is now high enough.
That'll definitely do it. Should be good enough on power as well. And by good enough, I mean "can spin the rear tires while towing"
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not a van but I towed my now gone 17' Casita SD with a 2017 Sierra 1500 PU with a 5.3 v8 and 6 speed tranny and 3.43 rear gears and 2WD. Towing was perfect and mileage was almost always over 20 mpg. Previous PU was a Silverado Z-71 (4wd) and the only problems (repairs) I had with it were 4WD related. I think in the 5 years I owned it I only really needed 4wd twice. Statistics are 84% of pickups are 4wd, I wonder how many really have a need for 4wd?
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #23

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
I bought a 2017 extended express 2500 v8 new. Lived in for two years, everything bungied down. Had a Fiberine camper top put on in 2019, and has the inside very simple built out. I travel for work and have been all the way to Alaska and down to Florida, cross country twice with a lot of time on rough BLM roads. It has over 70,000 miles and not a single issue. I change oil regularly, just has the the fuel system, a/c, brake system, power steering and transmission fluid flushed and replace. I put hybrid off road copper tires on a couple years ago and they have gotten my out of some dicey situations. That’s just my experience though…✌🏼
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:26 PM   #24

Name: Dayton
Trailer: NA
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
Do you find your van reliable? Right after I decided to get a Chevy/GMC van, I just saw a Scotty Kilmer view about them called "The Worst Vehicle Ever Made", ouch! Bob Wells at the CheaperRV site seems to like Chevy/GMC, so I don't know who to believe. I started looking at Transits, but I know very little about them. Maybe that is good, since I get more indecisive the more I learn, lol.

I almost bought a truck today, but my salesman was so slow, another salesman sold it first. I could not believe it. Now I'm thinking maybe it was a sign to get a van. 4WD was the main reason I wanted a truck, but I stumbled on some people using winches with 2WD vans as a poor man's 4WD. I was looking at F150s and Tundras, which seem to be really reliable, and was sad to see Scottys video about "the worst vehicle ever made".

You may not have noticed, but Scotty seems to have a huge hatred for anything domestic-made. He has never gleaned any praise, or even acceptance for a Ford, GM, or Chrysler made vehicle.
docarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #25

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Who knows?

Every auto manufacturer, model, engine, year, ad Infinitum, has its fans and its haters. All I can tell you is what I wrote above- 2017 EB Express Van driving almost continuously/living in (except summers, generally have to get housing due to heat) and I’ve not had a single problem. The van has turned over every single time of the first turn of the key, never had a “check engine” light come on, never stalled/died on a dark lonely road, and I’ve been on many. 71,000 miles with regular oil changes and tire rotations. This past month I got ALL fluids changed, systems flushed if the needed, fluids replaced. Still going strong. YMMV. ✌🏼
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita