Considering 13' - towable by VW? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I posted this on the Casita Forum, but someone suggested I also post here:

I am looking at the little 13' Casita. I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever used a VW Golf TDI (manual transmission) to tow one.

I'm actually considering this because I'm moving in a few months from the East Coast to AZ. I have 2 cats to take with me and the idea of taking them in and out of motel rooms along the way is not something I look forward to. So, I thought if I bought one of the Casita trailers, I could also get a separate pop-up screen room for the "girls" in which they could burn off some energy and I would have a secure place to sleep and shower. I would much rather stay in an RV park than a motel (and the additional charges for pets is sometimes very expensive).

Also, I have no definite plans on permanent housing once I get there, so I may need a couple of months to find something. I can stay in the Casita while I look, although the cats will NOT be happy . I may have to board them for a little while - don't want to leave them alone in the trailer at all.

Then, once I'm settled in a new home, I can take the trailer on little trips as needed since I'm moving to a fairly rural high desert area and any major shopping will require quite a bit of mileage and overnight stays.

So, I'm just at the beginning of this process. I don't understand the "hitch weight". I know about the maximum weight I can tow, VW manual says 2,000 - but whenever I ask someone at the VW dealer about this, they freak out a little.

Thanks for any and all info.
Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I would think that would be similar to towing with a 5 speed Subaru Forester (mine is rated for 2000 lbs.) Since it sounds like you'd be moving with all your possessions you might be pushing things with a Casita, even a 13 foot.

Hitch weight, or tongue weight, refers to how much the trailer tongue weighs down your hitch. But in a two-wheel trailer that isn't huge, it is easily changed by how you load the trailer. Mine was a bit light so I carry heavy items towards the front of the trailer. But changing the overall trailer weight is harder- you can drive without carrying water in the tanks, for example, and a trailer that is just the basics would be lighter than one with all the bells and whistles- but I think you are probably still going to find most full sized 13 foot trailers are a bit heavy for your car.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #3

THere are photos of a 13 footer and a new beetle tow vehicle. somewhere in this thread i think Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I know someone who pulls a 13' Scamp with a diesel powered beetle.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

My VW Golf is only rated to tow 1000 lbs. Unless you tow below that weight, you are opening yourself up to working the rest of your life for someone else. A lawyer could make you look so bad if you had an accident while towing overweight. There are a lot of discussions on this forum on towing weight. Don't even think about it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #6

Jeez, I have a big OOPS!

My VW Golf TDI has a 1,000 lb towing limit. I was reading the section that was giving the weight for the car itself. DUH!

So, now I have to reformulate all my plans. I can't afford a new car. So I don't know what I will end-up doing. I really like the idea of the little 13' Casita.

I hadn't planned on taking a lot of "stuff" with me - was going to store most and ship some to destination.

I couldn't find the post with the VW Beetle in it - I checked all 22 pages!
But since I am really stubborn, I will go to some VW sites and see if anyone is towing anything like the Casita w/VW. I have to give this idea one last try to see if there is any possibility.

My only alternative is getting a small motor home and towing my VW. Not something I think is preferable, but maybe my only option.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #7

if after you do all your calculationd and your tow vehicle weight rating numbers are getting close Here is a good thread about risk and liability to ponder. Take care.

EDIT : I see we posted at the same time and you found your weight rating so never mind about this reply then. IF we can help you out with anything else just ask. Lots of great folks on this forum here. IF anyone has that photo of the BLue VW new beetle and blue 13 foot trailer painted to match please post it.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #8

Registry
Talking

I am not a salesman for little guy but here is an alternative:

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

Your VW should be able to haul one of these. Just do a search on "teardrop trailers".

Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trek 1300 (Boler/Scamp Clone) / PT Cruiser
Registry
Quote:
IF anyone has that photo of the BLue VW new beetle and blue 13 foot trailer painted to match please post it.
Ken here are some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueBug.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	19983

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolerama_2004_019_01.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	19984

Terry
terryjeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Ken here are some pics:

Attachment 19983

Attachment 19984

Terry
Okay, now I'm really confused! If the VW Bug can pull a Casita, why can't my Golf? It is the same frame, just a different body (or so I'm told by VW salesman).
My VW is a diesel, with 5 speed manual transmission. And I think my hatchback is heavier than the "bug".
VERY CONFUSING

Also, I'll have to check again, but I didn't think the teardrops were much lighter than the smallest Casita (and - no "facilities"). But I have looked at them and will do so again.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #11

wonderful, thanks terry! those are the ones. Maddy might have thought i was wacky ha ha. I could not hunt them down either.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #12

Registry
Unhappy

Maddy, the issue here is not what it can do but what it is allowed to do by law.
There is a forum on desert ATVs I read which I cannot find at the moment. He linked to this forum somewere. One of their members had an accident with his toy hauler and someone was killed. The State Police weighed his trailer with contents and discovered that his Ford truck was not rated to haul that heavy a load. The guy lost his house, his wife divorced him, he is going to jail, in other words his future is ruined. I admit that there are persons who haul overweight, I hate to admit I did it myself in my salad days, that is what those VW/Egg pictures show. They might get away with it for years, but it's like getting hit by a train, it only takes once. Try coming back to these posters who tell you you can do it when you get into trouble. They will just shrug their shoulders and walk away, but you are in big trouble from following their advice.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Be careful -- Just because it CAN pull it a ways doesn't mean it SHOULD pull it!

VW spent some time considering what the maximum tow capacity is and you are almost doubling it, esp when you start loading moving stuf into it.

You not only have to pull it, you have to be able to stop it and to steer it under adverse conditions, plus the body has to be strong enough that you don't rip the trailer hitch right off it...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #14

Okay, I get the problem. But it sure is tempting.

And I don't totally trust VW about anything, although I'll concede on this one for safety's sake. If the load limit is 1,000, then I can't pull much of anything

By the way, I don't intend to load any moving stuff into a Casita or any other towable. I was just going to take necessities, store most of it and ship the intermediate stuff to the new destination.

Ken C.: didn't think you were wacky, I just couldn't find them. They are too tempting - getting me into trouble already.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #15

Roger, I refreshed my memory on the teardrop trailers and went back to a couple of mfrs' sites. Way too claustrophobic - might as well sleep in the hatchback. My only real alternative is a Tentrax. But that is just a tent trailer. No refrig., no facilities - just a bed. The weight restriction with the VW is a killer.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #16

Aliner and chalet popups are an idea. Aliner makes some small models. the smallest towed by goldwing motorcycles.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I couldn't find the post with the VW Beetle in it - I checked all 22 pages!
Actually, it's right here in the Paint Jobs topic. Wait for it to load and it will take you right to the picture.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wonder if a Little Joe would work? If so, it's better than laying down to pull on your pants like in a teardrop. Weis Craft Trailers - Little Joe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Maddy, as other have said, just cause you can, doesn't always mean you should. Please consider the fact that durning travel out west you will be traveling over some very steep Mountains, then you got to go down the other side with a trailer that is pushing on you the whole way down. I sooooooooooo get that your idea is a wonderful idea in theory, but in real life it may not be, especially if it means you or anyone on the road with you is hurt while your creating your idea. Now that being said, there may be a trailer or trailer option that will meet your towing weight. But I don't think a Casita is it. You say you would only be packing the essentials but you talk about a screened in room, that alone is adding weight. You also have to understand that your car may say you can tow a 1000 pounds, but you need to see if it allows for weight in the car besides you. Think about your suitcases when you fly, mine top 50 pounds almost everytime. Some vehicles will allow towing up to a certain weight but thats if the vehicle is empy of weight. Just get the facts so that your safe on your journey. Have you thought about one of those Motor cycle pop ups? I have seen them, they are cute, a little dressing area and a little bed, Your fur babies would be able to walk around in it. And a motor cycle is able to pull it so you should have no problems. Unfortunatly there is no kitchen, bathroom in them, but it would be a bed. Just another idea,

Just google pop up for motor cycle and a bunch come up. Maddy it's not that we don't want another Egg friend, it's we just want everyone to be safe! I just looked at a few different options and saw one trailer as lite as 300 pounds, I don't know what this one I am post a pic of weights. Good Luck! Robin
Attached Thumbnails
sen337x263.jpg  
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #20

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info. I just emailed about the Little Joe to see if some customization can be done to bring it into my weight limit. It may be a possibility. With all my research and Googling, I have never come across that item before - Thanks.

I will check out the items made for motorcycles, but I think I have looked at them in the past and wasn't comfortable with the idea and size. Like Donna said, buying something where you have to be "laying down to pull on your pants" is not something I want to invest $ in.

As far as a tent trailer, they are nice, but I want something a little more secure. I had looked at the Tentrax and others in the past, but I would like a "hard shell" around me, if possible. I am not a tent person - maybe would have been when I was younger, but I am not younger anymore. And I believe that some of the RV parks won't accept them. I was hoping to do this trip slowly. I have moved cross-country twice and always in a hurry - would like to enjoy this one.

The screen room that I wanted to take with me is just one of the lightweight, pop-up types. It is for the "girls" to run around in and be "outside" after a day's traveling. I will have to fashion a floor and figure a way to secure it. Both of my cats are escape artists and will be looking to get out. They are now allowed to go in and out whenever they want - this will be a BIG change for them - should be a good way to drive me nuts at the same time I am doing as much planning for them as for myself. What a sucker!

I will continue to work on this. As I think I mentioned before, I may have to buy a small motorhome and tow the VW. Will cost more and the gas mileage will be horrible, but may be my only way of doing this.

This has become a project to be conquered. But I truly appreciate all the info. Glad I came onto this forum.