CRV receiver hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #21

Name: Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Utah
Hey all, just completed the work on my 2011 CRV. Picked up the Curt hitch 15553 and Primus IQ from amazon. Found a local 'truck accessory' shop to do the install including termination to a 7 pin. Most all the comments above were spot on. The factory wiring harness was behind the left rear panel, and they used Curt connector parts 55106 and 56158 (I believe) to convert the factory wiring, power line, and brace control line into the 7 pin. More to follow in a week as the Scamp comes to her new home.
Lee in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #22

Utah
Just an update. Towed the scamp from sea level to about 1k. Very hilly most of the route but not mountainous.

2013 13' Scamp with bath had tongue weight at 200 lbs and overall weight (full propane, no water) of 1820. Heavier than I thought but the CRV pulled it without a fuss. On surface streets and around town, didn't even know it was there. 50-60 on the interstate was a 'sore spot' for the CRV. We have a third gen (2011) CRV automatic and that speed with the hills just seemed to leave the CRV searching for proper gearing from time to time. Above 60 was much better ironically and I pushed to 75 at one point where air drag become very noticeable. All and all, 65mph seemed about perfect and returned 17mpg. We will be towing it out west this summer and with mostly flat lands, I'll trial 58-60mph with regards to fuel economy. If not significantly improved, 65mph will be the standard!

Oh, I'm not sure what I'm interpreting wrong, but everywhere I read, I interpret the correct set up is trailer neutral to tongue down. However, when talking to actual CRV owners, including the Scamp rep, they all mention a hitch height of 17-19" which places me decidedly tongue UP. I compromised with 15.5 to top of ball after loading and it seemed fine. Anyone with any opinions of tongue up or down?

Thanks again,
Lee
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Ohio View Post

Oh, I'm not sure what I'm interpreting wrong, but everywhere I read, I interpret the correct set up is trailer neutral to tongue down. However, when talking to actual CRV owners, including the Scamp rep, they all mention a hitch height of 17-19" which places me decidedly tongue UP. I compromised with 15.5 to top of ball after loading and it seemed fine. Anyone with any opinions of tongue up or down?

Thanks again,
Lee
Glad you enjoying your new trailer! Just keep in mind when doing your speed test that unless you have changed out the standard ST tires on your Scamp they are only rated to do 65 mph.

Re the tongue up or down issue. Level is best - if it needs to be up or down - up will result in sway so being slightly down is better but it will also put more weight on the rear of the tug if thats an issue for you.

The problem is other CRV owners as are Scamp giving you a general guide line - every vehicle is different depending on its age etc and how much you have loaded in the rear of it etc & how much weight you have on the tongue of the trialer which may cause it to drop down once the trailer is hitched up. Every trailer is different as well based on age, the axle may have dropped a little, tires and wheels could have be changed etc. Every trailer & tug even of the same brand and size is going to be a little different in where the hitch needs to be in order to level it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Thnxs for the update.

When we tow we select gearing as required and never tow in "D", drive. That way you eliminate the tranny hunting thing.

Also would suggest keeping your speed in check. Sure it can feels good above 60MPH but things can go South very quickly when something like a tire blows, you need to stop quickly, or you need to make an emergency maneuver. Like you said too.... Fuel mileage is so much better under the 60mph speed.

Trailer level or nose slightly down is fine.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #25

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Lee: Check your CRV owners manual. When pulling long hills, Subaru said to take it out of Overdrive to save the transmission from searching for gear. This saves wear and tear on the tranny. Although my previous '09 Forester pulled the 13' Scamp / bath fine on the flats, it really took its toll in the mountains, even out of OD. Many people tow with vehicles rated to pull only 1500# and do well, but don't get over confident going 65. It can easily get out of control and it is a scary experience.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #26

Utah
Thanks all!! Seriously appreciate it. 65 will be my forever max and will keep under 60 and will drop the tongue an inch or two. Despite how I wrote the above, it was a very pleasant towing experience, and with y'alls advice, will become even better.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Ohio View Post
Despite how I wrote the above, it was a very pleasant towing experience, and with y'alls advice, will become even better.
Sounds good Lee. Everyone should be in the same boat, having a pleasant towing experience. All to often you read about folks saying, "well I dragged the trailer for a couple hours at 45MPH and it was a white knuckle ordeal. It breaks my heart to read these kinds of posts especially when we know it doesn't have to be that way.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That little button on the CRV shifter locks out the overdrive and should be used when towing to reduce hunting. This is from experience towing both a Scamp and a Lil' Bigfoot with a CRV.

I don't know how far west you are going, but it's far from flat out here. Also, speed limit in California for towed vehicles is 55.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote