Curt Bluetooth brake controller - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13ft
Oregon
I was curious about the wireless setup. I have a friend using the prodigy RF and happy with it. I ended up with a Tekonsha P3. However, my Mazda CX-5 (which tows the Scamp 13 really well- though currently without brakes) does not have a brake controller harness under the dash. I have to find and tap into the brake pedal power actuator wire to connect to the controller’s harness and then also run a power wire from battery to controller. It’s a pain to get under the dash and up into the brake pedal to find which of the wires is the one required to connect to the P3 controller. I’m realizing the wireless setups are more convenient for initial setup and being able to use it with multiple vehicles. However, as far as wireless controllers go, I’m not sure I would be comfortable with my phone used as an actuator.
Patrick PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #22

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick PDX View Post
I’m not sure I would be comfortable with my phone used as an actuator.
That's exactly why I went with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF and its dedicated RF remote-control unit.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #23

Name: Kayla
Trailer: TBD
Florida
We have a Curt bluetooth wireless brake controller and have used it without any problem. We are towing an Aliner Ranger (1400 lb) with a 2015 Ford Escape. Our Escape was factory installed with a tow hitch and 4 pin connector, and did not have the brake controller wiring near the dash. We had the 4 pin connector modified to both a 4 pin and the 9 pin for the trailer. We were under a time crunch and went with the Curt bluetooth brake controller to avoid the extra expense and hassle of wiring the brake controller to the front of the dash. I’ve had 2 other TTs and 2 other tow vehicles where I’ve paid to have the brake controller hard wired. I cannot tell the difference towing between the previous ones and the Curt. That said, we have a very light TT and a medium SUV. Good experience overall. I haven’t used my phone app to modify the settings once we installed it and it is literally plug and play. Easy peasy.
KaylaJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJT View Post
We have a Curt bluetooth wireless brake controller and have used it without any problem. We are towing an Aliner Ranger (1400 lb) with a 2015 Ford Escape. Our Escape was factory installed with a tow hitch and 4 pin connector, and did not have the brake controller wiring near the dash. We had the 4 pin connector modified to both a 4 pin and the 9 pin for the trailer. We were under a time crunch and went with the Curt bluetooth brake controller to avoid the extra expense and hassle of wiring the brake controller to the front of the dash. I’ve had 2 other TTs and 2 other tow vehicles where I’ve paid to have the brake controller hard wired. I cannot tell the difference towing between the previous ones and the Curt. That said, we have a very light TT and a medium SUV. Good experience overall. I haven’t used my phone app to modify the settings once we installed it and it is literally plug and play. Easy peasy.
Its about the same amount of work to run three wires from the engine compartment to the rear 7-Pin as it is to run the one. I hope they did so, so that you could install a brake control at a later date along with a power line to charge the trailer battery.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #25

Name: Mark
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Wireless controller

We have towed our 17 ft Casita about 8 thousand miles over two summers using the Curt unit. We, too, have multiple tow vehicles and two other cargo trailers. It works very well for us.
beckmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmark View Post
We have towed our 17 ft Casita about 8 thousand miles over two summers using the Curt unit. We, too, have multiple tow vehicles and two other cargo trailers. It works very well for us.
Still , Why pay more and have a tow vehicle which is not complete?
Did you run a fused charge wire with a switch or Isolator?
Did you run a fused brake activation wire, and install a 7- point RV plug?

Of course if your vehicle came complete with a tow package and an RV plug already wired it would be simple and cheap to simply add a wired in brake controller which could simply plug and play from one vehicle to another.
... I am as interested in new tech as anyone, but not for something which costs more and does less while using yet another phone app or a remote which can be lost in the seat cushions.
No really, even if that thing works ... What IS the point?

(Like you, I too have multiple tow vehicles and tow multiple trailers, from a 4-plug utility trailer , to an RV trailer to a cargo hauler and a car hauler!)
Old 11-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #27

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
No really, even if that thing works ... What IS the point?
Some of us don't want to take a US$40,000 vehicle and start chopping into the wiring and dashboard to add a dedicated (ugly) dashboard-mounted brake controller when we can simply add one to THE TRAILER where it belongs and use a simple dedicated 12-Volt remote for emergency braking.

Just because chopping into your vehicle worked FOR YOU doesn't mean it is desirable for everyone.

Why are you so prickly about other people's choices that WORK FOR THEM?
It's almost like you feel a need to be right with your choice every time and everyone else needs to be wrong.

It sounds like you need to go camping more.

Peace-out.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Some of us don't want to take a US$40,000 vehicle and start chopping into the wiring and dashboard to add a dedicated (ugly) dashboard-mounted brake controller when we can simply add one to THE TRAILER where it belongs and use a simple dedicated 12-Volt remote for emergency braking.
You make a good point but the rest of your post is too combative.

I am one of those that "chopped" into my vehicle and added a very nice P3 controller.. (tapping into the brake pedal switch wires). IMHO it is not ugly IMHO and is of the best quality. I could not have been more happy with it.

However there is now a recall on my vehicle and the fix involves replacing a fair amount of the wiring in the dash, and that means removing a lot of things that involve my brake controller wiring. Of course they will not deal with my brake controller, so I looks like I need to remove it and restore everything to original, then reinstall a brake controller afterwards.

In retrospect, I still prefer a hard wired to wireless controller, but I would have much preferred a tow vehicle that included OEM wiring for a brake controller. If the tow vehicle was not prewired for a brake controller then it would be a hard choice between a GOOD "wireless" one and a hard wired one. One important point is how you can control the trailer brakes (especially in an emergency)... a cell phone app does not cut it.

Another important thing is how you wire the brake power. I have seem some wire the magnet power in ways that are not safe, such as to a lighting circuit. So at the end of the day, even a wireless brake controller requires wiring.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:

Just because chopping into your vehicle worked FOR YOU doesn't mean it is desirable for everyone.

Why are you so prickly about other people's choices that WORK FOR THEM?
It's almost like you feel a need to be right with your choice every time and everyone else needs to be wrong.

It sounds like you need to go camping more.

Peace-out.
No "chopping" done or required on my $25,000 tow vehicle.
Thanks for the clarification though ,
Now is that a full list of the advantages of a bluetooth controller?

There is of course wiring to be run to use a bluetooth controller and the addition of an RV plug.
If your $40,000 vehicle was already equipped with a tow package and an RV plug then it was likely prepped for a controller.
I didn't say or imply that the bluetooth controller would not work after you have "chopped" into the wiring on your $40,000 vehicle to prep for it.
I was merely asking why spend more and still do about the same amount of work for what appears to be a less convenient and less effective controller.
From your reaction...
I infer that you have no answer to what is really a legitimate question.
I certainly meant no offense.

BTW; Your response brings up another question...
Why spend $40,000 dollars on a vehicle in the first place?? .
Or... If you do spend $40,000 on a tow vehicle ... What's another couple hundred to get it equipped to tow?

Your defensive response is "almost like you feel a need to be right with your choice every time and everyone else needs to be wrong."
(sorry, couldn't resist that one)
Old 11-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
You make a good point but the rest of your post is too combative.

I am one of those that "chopped" into my vehicle and added a very nice P3 controller.. (tapping into the brake pedal switch wires). IMHO it is not ugly IMHO and is of the best quality. I could not have been more happy with it.

However there is now a recall on my vehicle and the fix involves replacing a fair amount of the wiring in the dash, and that means removing a lot of things that involve my brake controller wiring. Of course they will not deal with my brake controller, so I looks like I need to remove it and restore everything to original, then reinstall a brake controller afterwards.

In retrospect, I still prefer a hard wired to wireless controller, but I would have much preferred a tow vehicle that included OEM wiring for a brake controller. If the tow vehicle was not prewired for a brake controller then it would be a hard choice between a GOOD "wireless" one and a hard wired one. One important point is how you can control the trailer brakes (especially in an emergency)... a cell phone app does not cut it.

Another important thing is how you wire the brake power. I have seem some wire the magnet power in ways that are not safe, such as to a lighting circuit. So at the end of the day, even a wireless brake controller requires wiring.

LIKE!
Old 11-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #31

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick PDX View Post
I was curious about the wireless setup. I have a friend using the prodigy RF and happy with it. I ended up with a Tekonsha P3. However, my Mazda CX-5 (which tows the Scamp 13 really well- though currently without brakes) does not have a brake controller harness under the dash. I have to find and tap into the brake pedal power actuator wire to connect to the controller’s harness and then also run a power wire from battery to controller. It’s a pain to get under the dash and up into the brake pedal to find which of the wires is the one required to connect to the P3 controller. I’m realizing the wireless setups are more convenient for initial setup and being able to use it with multiple vehicles. However, as far as wireless controllers go, I’m not sure I would be comfortable with my phone used as an actuator.
Awesome! That's the way to go. Wireless, you can change tow vehicles and no bolt-on-the-dash clunky old-style controller to deal with.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #32

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmark View Post
That sounds like THE PERFECT controller for people with more than one tow vehicle.

I'm glad you have had a good experience vs other types of controllers.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
no bolt-on-the-dash clunky old-style controller to deal with.
A provocative and inaccurate description.
My P2 is at the bottom of the dashboard, near my right knee. Handy and visible.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I use the CURT Echo and love it. I surprises me how well it works. Even if it looses bluetooth signal it continues to work as programed.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote