Damage to Trailer Tongue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Cruiser RV
Arkansas
Damage to Trailer Tongue

Hey all.

I have a New TT. Got a Curt anti-sway. When backing it in, I accidentally turned too sharp with this one, and the hitch portion hit the trailer tongue. Any recommendations? Not serious? Need repair? Need replacement? I was thinking maybe it could just be cut/welded back closed?

Just wondering how bad of a Monday I’m looking at if I need to take it in to the shop. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
A7EB2CFF-B1E0-4FD4-B553-60934EA2CFA9.jpg   20A4E651-8AA7-48D7-86EA-33DE0528FFAE.jpg  

C67E9113-9444-4F5B-A87E-B44EDDE6CECB.jpg   BC9ECE80-6ADA-4E9F-9A05-365D60330BAD.jpg  

MH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Doesn't look structurally injured, so should be ok to tow and have a welder check it. You need to learn to backup very slowly, though.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I would take this to a welder to have it repaired.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH87 View Post
Hey all.

I have a New TT. Got a Curt anti-sway. When backing it in, I accidentally turned too sharp with this one, and the hitch portion hit the trailer tongue. Any recommendations? Not serious? Need repair? Need replacement? I was thinking maybe it could just be cut/welded back closed?

Just wondering how bad of a Monday I’m looking at if I need to take it in to the shop. Thanks!
Take it to a shop and let them make sure it is ok to tow and have it repaired. Not worth the chance of a wreck.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:18 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with Charlie. The structural attachment of the coupler to the frame rails does not appear to be compromised, so you can tow it safely.

Do inspect the safety chain attachment, which looks like it might have sustained some damage. While you've got a welder working, consider moving the chain attachment to the sides. A single point attachment on the bottom is not best practice, though it is very common (including my Scamp). Here's a great article on the best ways to attach safety chains: https://mechanicalelements.com/how-t...safety-chains/

The rest is a matter of cleaning it up and preventing rust from getting a foothold. I'd take it to a small welding shop or one that specializes in utility trailers, not an RV shop.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this is maybe a 2 in terms of bad Mondays. Just enough pain that you'll not soon forget. Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #6

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
You need to take it and have it fixed, number one, so no one else can see it number 2 so it's fixed, a welder will have it fixed like new so you will not have a problem with it.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #7

Michigan
Registry
The reason the chains are crossed is for safety, say it would come off the ball, then with the chains crossed the tung will drop onto the crossed Cain's and not drop into the roadway, saving the trailer.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
The reason the chains are crossed is for safety, say it would come off the ball, then with the chains crossed the tung will drop onto the crossed Cain's and not drop into the roadway, saving the trailer.
That is why side attachment is better. My Scamp came with the single center attachment, and crossing them did not create that cradle.

The cradle will only work if the chains are just barely long enough to allow free movement in turns. Most people tow with the chains set too long.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Yes that is 👍 right, I don't know why'd they would do that, should be on the sides. I pulled doubles for 20 years, big Cain's.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #10

Name: Nick
Trailer: Trailmite
Oregon
Hi, If you are going to have it welded, what we had done is extending the tongue 18 in. This make backing up much easier and reduces the "jackknife" tendency of ver short trailers. Just something to think about.
travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:59 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Keystone Outback
GA
Update from original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH87 View Post
Hey all.

——————-
Just wondering what was the outcome of this. Mine is looking fairly similar. Could you update with what your actions were, how much it cost etc?
Dtaylor1987 is offline   Reply With Quote