Dead tounge lift. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Dead tounge lift.

I had just dropped the hitch on the ball and hit the UP switch to pull up the base. Dead. Very, very, dead. So I took it all apart and pulled it off the tongue. Tomorrow I replace it with a manual crank. *sigh*
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Minnesota
Registry
But wait... there's more. The trailer place found that are brakes are falling apart. Oh well. Better to find out now than half way down to New Orleans in a couple of weeks, eh? Waiting to find out what other wonderful things are discovered.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
I had just dropped the hitch on the ball and hit the UP switch to pull up the base. Dead. Very, very, dead. So I took it all apart and pulled it off the tongue. Tomorrow I replace it with a manual crank. *sigh*
--------------------------------------------
It may be to late, but did you verify that there was 12VDC at the motor wire?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
Yup. I did "due diligence" before I yanked the beast. I checked voltages at all appropriate points, and then bypassed the switch and did a direct connection. On further thought, even if the motor WAS good having a mission-critical part rely on something that might fail in the middle of nowhere (ie. battery) is not a good idea. I suppose that if I was somewhere and it all had crapped out I could have done just what I did...pull the unit. I've now eliminated that source of possible error.

I guess what I've learned after a year and a couple of months is what to worry about, and what not to worry about.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have a hand crank top winder on our Scamp. I removed the crank handle and welded a 3/4" nut to the top. I use my electric drill to raise/lower the tongue, and if the drill should fail, I can use a ratchet or a hand crank to manually do the job.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have a hand crank top winder on our Scamp. I removed the crank handle and welded a 3/4" nut to the top. I use my electric drill to raise/lower the tongue, and if the drill should fail, I can use a ratchet or a hand crank to manually do the job.
I was thinking of doing something similar.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
I suppose that if I was somewhere and it all had crapped out I could have done just what I did...pull the unit.
I thought that even in unmodified form, all of these power jacks had a hand crank just for this purpose... no need to pull the unit for any kind of power or motor failure.

Even the cheapest power A-frame jack at eTrailer (MaxxTow Electric Trailer Jack - A-Frame - 18" Lift - 3,500 lbs MaxxTow Trailer Jack MT70147) lists
Quote:
Manual override handle included in case of power failure
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #8

Minnesota
Registry
Nope. No auxiliary crank. Bummer.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Nope. No auxiliary crank. Bummer.
Well, at least you do have the option of replacing it with a power jack which does have a manual override, so you can have both power and reliability... if the power feature is of value to you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My trailer came with a power jack..that works! I never thought I would go out of my way to install one before..but if this one shuffles off this mortal coil, I most certainly will replace it. I never want to Crank Crank Crank again..

Mine is ancient, but it has an emergency hand crank on it. I have the manufacturers tool, but it looks like a good socket and bar would work just as well.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
Just used the crank. No Big Deal. Hey, my sweetie says I need to exercise!