Deer+Ford=New Tug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Question

MY old Ford Windstar met it's match in a 65MPH impact with a deer.

This is one of those moments where you watch it in slow motion and know that there's nothing you can do except let the laws of physics have their way. I saw the deer come up out of the median and then WHAM.

The next thing I know, the car is full of burning hot, giant stinky marshmallow like airbags. They do deflate quickly, so you can steer. My Ford has the 200 MPH "old variety" that they slowed down. I got bruised and burned by the airbags. (8 Xrays later)

I was very lucky. The deer hit my bumper, then was pushed up to the top edge of my windshield, cracked the window and tossed to the edge of the road.

I was on my way to the Rest stop to work a coffee break for the Red Cross. So my husband came drove me up there and got a big bag of ice for my bruises. We came back to the car to arrange for towing and a nice state trooper came by on his way to the post. He lit up my car until the local trooper came and took the report.

So, I've got a bag of dripping ice on my left arm and the trooper let me sit in his car while he filled out a report on the computer. The other driver was named Deer and lived in the woods. Man, they need a better software writer. He took GPS coordinates on the carcass and called it in to a wild life rescue. It took about 40 minutes to write the report out and his passenger seat was a puddle by then.

It took 2 hours at the hospital. I had a huge bruise on my torso and they were worried about that. Looks like I was kicked by a mule!

So any suggestions to replace my old minivan?

Needs to carry at least 5 people and 2 80LB dogs.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I have no suggestions about a new vehicle but am so sorry to hear of your encounter with the deer.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]So any suggestions to replace my old minivan?

Needs to carry at least 5 people and 2 80LB dogs.
I like the new Ford Flex.

The Ford Edge will also handle your trailer.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hmmm. When your bruises get better, you might think about slowing down a little.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Hmmm. When your bruises get better, you might think about slowing down a little.
Ummm....she was only doing 65, isn't that the speed limit in lots of places in the US? I know here, all the major divided roads are usually 110 km/hr, or 68 mph. That too is the posted speed, most usually do at least 10 over.

Or, were you thinking that maybe there would have been more salvageable venison steaks with a slower impact?

PAT, glad to hear you were not too badly hurt. As far as tow vehicles go, there is a plethora of good ones to choose from. After a lifetime of driving primarily vehicles from the Big 3, I finally went to a Japanese car because I was tired of doing repairs and wanted a manufacturer with more proven reliability. I finally opted on the Honda Pilot (made in Alabama) and am very happy with my choice. While not sporty looking, nor a speed demon, it is easy to drive and has lots of well thought out features. Even the base model comes with a factory mounted hitch. They are rated at 4,500 lbs, but that may be more then you need.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Jim, my husband want me to look at a pilot. I do a lot of Red Cross disaster work so the extra tow capacity would be nice. I also need to set up shelters in ice storms and heavy snows. How does it do in snow?
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Two words... Subaru Forester. Fantastic safety ratings, really nice on winter road conditions. Pulls our 13 boler beautifully.
Michelle A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have a Ridgeline - basically the PU version of the pilot. It has 5k twing capcity and tows our 17' Casita with no problems. It is great in snow as I assume the Pilot would be. It is our ski vehicle and I had it all over Seattle when the town was shut down because of snow just before Christmas last year. I think you would do well with either one depending on your needs and bdget.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Jim, my husband want me to look at a pilot. I do a lot of Red Cross disaster work so the extra tow capacity would be nice. I also need to set up shelters in ice storms and heavy snows. How does it do in snow?
It does great in the snow Pat, the 4WD kicks in great when needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Two words... Subaru Forester. Fantastic safety ratings, really nice on winter road conditions. Pulls our 13 boler beautifully.
I decided to go with a mid-sized SUV for a few reasons but mainly the towing capacity, but if I was to go down in size a step further in size, the '09 Forester would have been my choice for sure. It is a great vehicle. It only has a 2,400 pound towing capacity, but that would do a 13 footer, no problem.