Dexter 9 vs Dexter 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Dexter 9 vs Dexter 10

I have been reading some of the old discussions about axles for 13' trailers. It appears that many opt for either a Dexter #9 or a Dexter #10 Torflex axle.

Which is better?

What are the consequences of riding a #10 axle (rated for 2300 to 3500 lbs) if you trailer weighs in under 2300 lbs most of the time? I'm anticipating a stiffer ride (which many not be a good thing)?

If the brakes are rated for 2300lbs+ are you going to get more aggressive braking then you need?

Does anyone have any additional wisdom to offer?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Unless you have severly altered a 13' boler, the Dexter #9 is sufficient. I spoke with a Dexter engineer when I was doing mine. He suggested a # 9 a full rubbering (maximum weight) would be best. The ride is not harsh, the best analogy I can give is that a pick up rides a lot smoother with a part load in it, empty or at full load you know and feel it. There may be concerns over the spacing available in the wheel well on the curbside with a # 10.
OTOH I used a #10 on my Trillium 4500.

As to aggressive braking, that should be controlled with the proper setup and adjustment with your brake controller. I have to adjust mine between the two trailers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Dexter will also build a "9H" that features 10" brake drums. I was told by the Dexter folks that my preferred 15" wheel/tire set-up could put too much load on the 7" brakes of the standard "9".
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I would list all the specifications of the camper in an email and ask Dexter for a recommendation.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whatever axle you decide is best for your application depends on several items: weight of the trailer (loaded for camping... with or without full water tanks (including hotwater heater, full gray and black water tanks and full freshwater tanks) and size of wheels/tires.) Every trailer (owner) that I've met tows something "different." There really is no "standard" or "better." Just don't fall into the trap, of "close enough." You'd be surprise how much your extra stuff weights.

"Honey, let's take our bicycles (or canoes this trip).

It's all about your needs and the needs of your trailer/tow.

Be safe, you're sharing the road with others.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Unless you have severely altered a 13' boler, the Dexter #9 is sufficient.
I'm considering converting my Compact Jr. from leaf springs to a Dexter torsion axle. The first retailer I checked with says the Dexter #10 is the smallest he can order.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Frederick, have you been hacked?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Frederick, have you been hacked?
why do you say that?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
In discussion with owner of local trailer shop of the options for Dexter axle while going through the Dexter specification book I recall there was a difference in wheel size/bolt pattern available. Above a certain axle # I could not get a configuration to match my existing 4 bolt 13 inch rim.

Was not ready to make that investment and just pricing out options so I don't have the details but do recall above a certain size I was going to have to replace rims and tires.

Trailer pro also advised to go with a certain "common" size brake to make replacement and repair parts easier to come by. Don't recall the size, but the smaller size he said to aviod was typically used only as stock on lite boat or snow mobile trailers (really small tires) and not going to be in stock at most trailer repair places. Might be worth checking around to see what sizes of pads and brake parts are in stock in your area.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote