Dexter axle shock absorber - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

Name: Dawn
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Registry
Dexter axle shock absorber

I know the topic of how to determine when a new axle replacement is in order has been beaten to death...

I've scoured the forums and determined that my 1992 Scamp 16 axle is still holding up. But probably just barely (as I believe it is 23 years old). I have plenty of space between the wheel & wheel well using the "fist" method. I do not see any tire marks inside the wheel well from the tire scraping. I still need to measure the angle of the axle arm.

That being said, we do notice our cushions & some equipment becoming displaced inside the camper during travel. I assume that means there isn't much cushion left in the axle. I read on a forum that Dexter makes shock absorbers for their axles? I saw some debate on whether people would use both a torsion axle & shock absorber. Knowing the age of my axle and the displacement of equipment, is this something I could benefit from to take the edge off? Is this even an option, or did I misread the thread? Thanks!
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
shocks

I can't say for sure that Dexter offers shock absorbers for their axles. A company called orbital machine works, does make shock kits for Casitas which have Dexter axles. Contact them. They are a good outfit. We used to sometimes find our side table and the cushions on the floor but not anymore. They may offer something for scamps.
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My 1988 Scamp had plenty of clearance between the tire and body, and no evidence of rub but the axle was still DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. Putting shocks on an axle with NO movement to it would not have done anything.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
My 1988 Scamp had plenty of clearance between the tire and body, and no evidence of rub but the axle was still DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. Putting shocks on an axle with NO movement to it would not have done anything.
Ahhhhh ok understood! I suppose my next check then will be the movement in the axle...having someone bounce inside or on the bumper?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
On the Dexter site enter shock absorber kit in the search box and it will show two different kits. They may not be intended for the torsion axles, though. I'd go with the Orbital Machine Works versions. They make a fair amount of mods for Casitas and have Scamp versions for at least some.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

Name: D. Jim
Manitoba
Shock absorbers

I have an interest in adding shock absorbers to my 2014 Scamp 16 ft. The people at Scamp seem to think it doesn't make any difference. What I hear Steve saying seems to say otherwise. We always have a lot of displaced cushions and the like whenever we travel with our Scamp. We are leaving for a 4 week 6000 mile road trip in less than 3 weeks and want to rectify this problem shortly. I want to hear a resounding yes! from those of you who have had good results from the addition of shocks on your FGRV.
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedMac View Post
Ahhhhh ok understood! I suppose my next check then will be the movement in the axle...having someone bounce inside or on the bumper?

Thanks for the replies!
That works Another way is to look at the position of the axle arm the number of degrees it is pointed up vs parallel to the trailer frame. The higher it points up the higher the likelihood you need a new axle.

Also whether or not the torsion arms move at all when jacked up - little to no movement when taking the weight off the tire would suggest a shoot axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #8

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
I have an interest in adding shock absorbers to my 2014 Scamp 16 ft. The people at Scamp seem to think it doesn't make any difference. What I hear Steve saying seems to say otherwise. We always have a lot of displaced cushions and the like whenever we travel with our Scamp. We are leaving for a 4 week 6000 mile road trip in less than 3 weeks and want to rectify this problem shortly. I want to hear a resounding yes! from those of you who have had good results from the addition of shocks on your FGRV.

Jim,

I believe you emailed me earlier today @orbital machine works, and I have replied to your email.
Bottom line is we do not make shock kits for Scamps - mainly because of the abuse I got on this thread
when I was asking if there was any interest, after we made a kit for Casitas.
In case anyone with a torflex axle would care to see what they are missing, you may want to take a peek at these waveforms

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Jim,

I believe you emailed me earlier today @orbital machine works, and I have replied to your email.
Bottom line is we do not make shock kits for Scamps - mainly because of the abuse I got on this thread
when I was asking if there was any interest, after we made a kit for Casitas.
In case anyone with a torflex axle would care to see what they are missing, you may want to take a peek at these waveforms

Jim

Jim I'm sorry to hear of your thoughts of abuse by members here. From what I've read from members who have installed your shock kits, it has worked out very well for them. I think the video shows the difference in performance perfectly. It does seem that a lot of owners are more into smaller mods/upgrades for personal use than adding something that would let the trailer work easier. I haven't had to many things rearrange themselves during a trip but I am leaning toward adding your shocks to my rig. If for nothing else but to ease the frame jolting and metal fatigue.
Have no idea how many you've sold to Casita owners but despite what some folks have said, I really think the Scamp owners would come through for you if you made them up to fit their rigs. I installed your lift kit on my SD17. The quality/fit and finish were top notch.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I would still want shock kit for my Scamp, but I have a Flexiride axle now.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #11

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We found a shock retro kit through the Monroe dealer in our area (Napa Auto Parts)
have leaf spring axle so worked well.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #12

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That works Another way is to look at the position of the axle arm the number of degrees it is pointed up vs parallel to the trailer frame. The higher it points up the higher the likelihood you need a new axle.

Also whether or not the torsion arms move at all when jacked up - little to no movement when taking the weight off the tire would suggest a shoot axle.
Thank you Carol!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #13

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
We found a shock retro kit through the Monroe dealer in our area (Napa Auto Parts)
have leaf spring axle so worked well.
From what others have messaged me, anything from Dexter was for a leaf spring as well
Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #14

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Ned
That's correct.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It may be more noticeable on 16' and 19' Scamps. But I simply do not have a problem nor a need for shocks on my Scamp with the torsion axle. This is after nearly 9000 miles. Yes, when I go over railroad or bouncy roads, it bounces some...but so do I in my truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Jim I'm sorry to hear of your thoughts of abuse by members here. From what I've read from members who have installed your shock kits, it has worked out very well for them. I think the video shows the difference in performance perfectly. It does seem that a lot of owners are more into smaller mods/upgrades for personal use than adding something that would let the trailer work easier. I haven't had to many things rearrange themselves during a trip but I am leaning toward adding your shocks to my rig. If for nothing else but to ease the frame jolting and metal fatigue.
Have no idea how many you've sold to Casita owners but despite what some folks have said, I really think the Scamp owners would come through for you if you made them up to fit their rigs. I installed your lift kit on my SD17. The quality/fit and finish were top notch.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #16

Isle of Wight
just a quick follow up - we made some parts for Jim and he got them installed and is now away travelling. When he returns hopefully he will report on how it all worked out

--Jim.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #17

Isle of Wight
and one more follow-up for those of you that dont follow the Casita forums.
We did a bit of data gathering to try to get away from mere anecdotal evidence that shocks work on Torflex axles.
Here is a pertinent picture for your viewing pleasure - this is of course on a Casita with a Dexter #10 axle. Your mileage may vary.
I included all 3 bumps so you dont accuse me of just showing the good one....
Attached Thumbnails
withAndWithoutShocks.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm lost. I see very little difference between the two charts- one with the shocks and one without.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #19

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I'm lost. I see very little difference between the two charts- one with the shocks and one without.
The initial "bang" will always be much the same. Shock absorbers do most of their work on the 'down' part. Compare the final bump of the 3. On the damped version, the up-and-down oscillations die out much faster. The energy has been "absorbed" by the shocks. Trailer settles much quicker.

--Jim
Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #20

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedMac View Post

That being said, we do notice our cushions & some equipment becoming displaced inside the camper during travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
We always have a lot of displaced cushions and the like whenever we travel with our Scamp. We are leaving for a 4 week 6000 mile road trip in less than 3 weeks and want to rectify this problem shortly.
I've had a Casita since new and always found cushions on the floor after traveling. I'd be surprised if they stayed in place considering there isn't anything holding them in place.

Am I wrong?

I would also look at my TV suspension parts before the TT's - shock absorbers, sway bar bushings, tire pressure on TV & TT.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle