Originally Posted by Raspy
New brakes have to break-in before they become fully affective. So it may just be that one is taking a bit more breaking in than the other.
An initial break-in procedure of about 20 stops from 30 MPH will help them. Start out with the controller on the highest setting that won't skid, and reduce it as needed as the brakes begin to work better. Then normal use on a trip of about 1500 miles will bring them to near full strength. You may start out at 10 on the controller and end up at about 3-4, for instance.
This is good to know!
I just installed new bearings, seals, brake assemblies and drums along with new wheels and tires
. I tried following the Dexter recommendations of burnishing the brakes then tried following the Tekonsha recommendations for setting my P3 controller.
Tekonsha says to start at about 6V and increase gain until you get wheel lockup and back off a bit. I couldn't get the wheels to lock up even at 12+V.
I called up a FGRV member with some experience in this for guidance. Jacked each side of the trailer up, spun the wheel and manually applied the controller. I could hear the magnet actuate and the wheel instantly stopped dead. That means the electrical
side was working as intended.
I then redid the manual adjustment till the wheel didn't easily move and backed off a bit so you could still feel drag. Took the trailer out for a 2nd trip. I could feel the tow vehicle initially labouring which improved over the next 5-10 km. I had a stop planned at the 50 km point since install to retorque the wheels for a second time in a shopping mall parking lot. I still couldn't get the wheels to lock up.
In addition to what Raspy (John) says; I considered that brake fade from the shoes being in almost constant contact during the break in period as well as new tires
giving me maximum grip were also factors in not being able to lock up. My hubs were warm but I could hold on to them. Dexter also says to apply the brakes intermittently so things don't get too hot. On the way back home I tweaked the voltage down until the amount of trailer pull when braking felt right. Peak was set to 10 V.
Dexter says to readjust the brakes at 200 mi and every 3000 miles there after. (322 & 4828 km for the rest of the world). If you can believe YouTubers, some say to do the first adjustment at 300 or 500 miles.