Do I need trailer brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I am saying that if it weighs over 1500 lbs that it needs to have trailer brakes.
Just because the local laws doesn't "require" brakes is no reason to decide that they aren't needed.

And I think that we all know that a trip of as many miles as planned will result in a trailer close to the maximum limit for the vehicle.

In my opinion, I am saying that a trailer over 1500 lbs. needs trailer brakes.

As I have towed both a 13' Scamp & a 13' Lil'Bigfoot both with and without brakes, I can assure a newbie that they are essential for a safe trip.

And BTW: Here in the Golden State towing is limited to 55 MPH, and trailers over 1500 lbs require brakes.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I am saying that if it weighs over 1500 lbs that it needs to have trailer brakes.
Just because the local laws doesn't "require" brakes is no reason to decide that they aren't needed.

And I think that we all know that a trip of as many miles as planned will result in a trailer close to the maximum limit for the vehicle.

In my opinion, I am saying that a trailer over 1500 lbs. needs trailer brakes.

As I have towed both a 13' Scamp & a 13' Lil'Bigfoot both with and without brakes, I can assure a newbie that they are essential for a safe trip.

And BTW: Here in the Golden State towing is limited to 55 MPH, and trailers over 1500 lbs require brakes.
I've got no argument with any of this.

If anyone believes their 13 foot fiberglass RV weighs under 1,000 pounds ready for a weekend trip, you had better think again. Don't believe me? Take it to a scale.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I may be wrong but I would believe that Windy's 2004 trailer actually has breaks! Being that it's a 2004. Then only the vehicle would require a brake controller.......

Glad most of us are in agreement!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #24

Speaking of extremes, the 8' box, 1981 pop-up tent trailer I just sold, at about 825 lbs., came with electric trailer brakes and a breakaway switch.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I've got no argument with any of this.

If anyone believes their 13 foot fiberglass RV weighs under 1,000 pounds ready for a weekend trip, you had better think again. Don't believe me? Take it to a scale.

-- Dan Meyer
Staying under 1500 lbs is a trick and the op's trip to Alaska better be planned as being more than a weekend trip.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 73 Tri-Fab
Texas
Registry
My Tri-Fab has no brakes but I plan on installing a set as part of the update.
Carl Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #27

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
I may be wrong but I would believe that Windy's 2004 trailer actually has breaks! Being that it's a 2004.
The OP stated it did not have brakes. Brakes are an option on Trillium Outbacks not standard equipment. When I found mine the first thing I did was add them.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #28

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Yes, you definitely want brakes. Does your axle already have the 4 hole steel mount for brakes behind your hubs? That makes the job much easier & less expensive. If you don't have mounting brackets already, your best bet is to get a new axle. Mounts can be welded on, but it is very tricky to do.

Does your tow vehicle have a 7 pin RV connector & brake controller? You'll need that stuff too.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #29

Name: Windy
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Thumbs up Thank you all

Can't believe the amount of replies I got from you all. Thank you so much. The link to state towing regulations was very helpful. Seems the general consensus is to get brakes, so it's decided. Like you say, can't shut the barn door after the horse has bolted, so best to get it done now before I really need it. I thought I would, but was arguing with my best friend who was adamant I just needed to do a test drive and see what it handled like. Now I can go "nah,nah, told you I needed them". Have to remember there are other people on the road other than myself. Looking forward to taking my time and enjoying the sights. Thanks again everyone for all the input. Greatly appreciated.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:20 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good decision Windy, it's a small price to pay. Most things can be in a gray area but I've always said it doesn't matter if it takes 5 minutes to get to 65mph it better be seconds to slow it down.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #31
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
my best friend who was adamant I just needed to do a test drive and see what it handled like.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad you are moving ahead with the installation of trailer brakes. It's just a good feeling every time you press on the brake pedal and feel the trailer brakes kick in.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #32

Great decision Windy, but remind your "friend" (quote) "I thought I would, but was arguing with my best friend who was adamant I just needed to do a test drive and see what it handled like." that said test drive would only replicate the 99% of the time when you aren't in an emergency situation. It's that 1% emergency need that trumps all others.

That is, unless your test drive could include being cut off by a truck during a sudden rain squall while going downhill on a curve..... in which case you might not be here to tell us what happens without trailer brakes.

Tags
brakes