Do we know for certain what causes torsion axle sag? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Thanks Dave as if Tim giving me weather envy was not enough you had to throw trailer envy into the mix. Oh wait yours are buried in snow, that might be 5 times worse. I'm ok now. Never mind.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have to wonder exactly how something like that fails. I would not think all four “rubbers” give up simultaneously or even at the same rate. So one gets a little weak and puts more stress on the next weakest one and so on. They might even swap the order around a bit, whichever one is the weak link at the time. I have an old backhoe, and it is a constant source of amusement and frustration. I fix one leak in a hydraulic circuit and pretty soon something else in that circuit is leaking. It finally dawned on me that a leak is acting as a pressure limiting device. Once fixed the pressure finds the next weakest area and causes it to start leaking and relieving pressure, and so on.
Ok, so if the rubbers fail, is that where new little Scamps come from?

Thanks for the many responses to my question. I think you've answered it pretty well: it is not accurate to lay all blame for torsion failure on overloading.

Another member on the A frame forum posted a reply on the subject, saying that 800 miles of "potholed volcanic gravel road" in Labrador caused the demise of his torsion axle. He talked with a Dexter rep who confirmed that pounding an axle in such a manner will ruin it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle