Do you have brakes on your 13' trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you have brakes on your 13' trailer?
yes 29 32.95%
no 59 67.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I was wondering how many 13 foot trailers have brakes.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
I never had them hooked up ( no controller)until that one last panic stop. All was ok but scary.
After I hooked them up I wondered why I never did before. Huge difference,very much more secure feeling.
Even had a couple of panic stops and it was no sweat.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Brakes on the Play Pac. Had them hooked up after I got it home. I do feel safer with them.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I had brakes installed as the very first addition to my egg as well, and am very glad I did.

I would actually be curious to find out, among the No answers, which ones are "No but I intend to have them added" VS "No I don't need them".
Old 12-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
I had brakes installed as the very first addition to my egg as well, and am very glad I did.

I would actually be curious to find out, among the No answers, which ones are "No but I intend to have them added" VS "No I don't need them".
My '06 Tacoma has strong brakes.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
NO we don't (as yet) have brakes I DO plan to add them when I install a new axle!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
My first 13' Scamp did not have brakes. I tow with an 05 Toyota Tacoma and never felt the need for brakes. Some one made me an offer I could not refuse and I sold it. I now have another 13' Scamp and it does have brakes which I just redid completely.
I live at about 3500 ft elevation in the Southern Sierras and have been known to camp in the winter.
If I have to chain up and there are no brakes on the trailer I would be in trouble.
If it was not for the snow I would not worry about brakes on my 13' Scamp.
If I were towing with anythiing smaller than my PU, such as a small sedan, I would definitely have brakes on a 13' trailer.

Happy Holidays all!
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I didn't vote, as I don't have a 13' trailer... but I do think it's an interesting topic. Thanks, Cam.

An interesting variation would be to tie the response to the tow vehicle as well. "I tow a 1500 lb trailer with a 6000 lb truck and don't use trailer brakes" is a very different situation from "I tow a 1500 lb trailer with a 3000 lb car and don't use trailer brakes". I'm not sure how to best do this, and it's too late anyway for the 16 people (as of the time I'm typing this) who have already responded, but it would put the responses in a more useful context.

Another variation would be five choices:
  1. My trailer is over my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer has brakes
  2. My trailer is over my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer does not have brakes
  3. My trailer is within my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer has brakes
  4. My trailer is within my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer does not have brakes
  5. I don't know what my vehicle's limit is for trailers without brakes
I think that if people answered honestly, the vast majority would have to pick the last one.

My Sienna has a 3500 lb towing limit, but requires trailer brakes for trailers over 1000 lb; that's quite a common set of ratings. My 17' Boler is way over 1000 lb, and (like essentially all trailers of this size) came as standard from the factory with brakes; I use and appreciate the trailer brakes. I realize this is not the size of trailer which Cam is asking about... but even a 13' trailer should have brakes for my tow vehicle, which is not small.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm not sure how to best do this, and it's too late anyway for the 16 people (as of the time I'm typing this) who have already responded, but it would put the responses in a more useful context.

Another variation would be five choices:
  1. My trailer is over my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer [b]has brakes
  2. My trailer is over my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer [b]does not have brakes
  3. My trailer is within my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer [b]has brakes
  4. My trailer is within my vehicle's limit for trailer without brakes, and my trailer [b]does not have brakes
  5. I don't know what my vehicle's limit is for trailers without brakes
I think that if people answered honestly, the vast majority would have to pick the last one.
In an effort to be more precise; I may add more confusion-
But that's what my signature warns about, so Full Steam Ahead!

My [b]1st trailer was a 13' Compact Jr. that never had brakes, and I know that it still does not have them today. Brian's choice #2 is appropriate for my 1st Tow Vehicle, which was a 1991 Toyota Camry V6LE wagon. I still had the Compact Jr. when I sold the Camry and bought my 2003 Honda Odyssey LX and fully equipped it with a complete "tow package." Brian's choice #4 applies to that configuration.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am an ex 13er, so I voted like I still had it.

Yes, it had brakes. Yes, I drove without them for a bit. Yes, when I finally got them connected..

I ditto "How did I ever do without them?"

World of difference in control on stress.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
We have flanges on our nonbrake Scamp 13 axle. How much should it cost to add brakes?
Tony and Darlene (mt_horebites)
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Arrow

My 2002 13' Casita Deluxe came with brakes, which I hooked up immediately. I've been glad I had them especially when I towed my trailer last summer through a high Rocky Mountain pass on a very curvy narrow road. The one time I wasn't sure about having them was when one brake locked up at the Oregon Gathering last year. I couldn't even move the trailer with the brake locked up. Thanks to a few good fellows who helped me get moving. Even with that experience I still feel thankful for the brakes. I once towed a bigger trailer with a smaller vehicle in the mountains. This was my first experience towing a trailer. I assure you it was no fun trying to go fast enought to outrun the trailer as it whipped from side to side. It's funny now, but certainly wasn't then. I would not go without trailer brakes now.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
I bought a 83 Scamp 13' this summer without brakes. I replaced the axle and added brakes.
I do feel safer towing it with my Honda Element.
Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:41 AM   #14

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
We have flanges on our nonbrake Scamp 13 axle. How much should it cost to add brakes?
Tony and Darlene (mt_horebites)
Tony, your best bet for a valid quote would be to call a dealer that handles axles. Most of the axle manufacturers use Dexter 7" brake sets, and I believe (heavily qualified here) that the price for the parts will be in the $250 range, give or take $50.

Roger

On edit: It appears from a quick google search that the backing plate, magnet, shoes and actuator assemblies run about $60 per side, and the drum and hub assemblies run about $65 per side. That doesn't include wiring to the Bargman connector, or the connector. Prices vary by vendor.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I tow with a full size GM pickup which requires trailer brakes if the trailer weight is over 2000 lbs.,(about 500 lbs more than my 13') and requires a WDH with trailer tow package with any trailer over 5000 lbs. upto 6100 lbs. My truck has 4 wheel disc brakes and 4 wheel ABS and have no problem towing with it in the mountains. I also don`t tow under snow/ice conditions and if I did I would probably run studded tires or ice radials on the trailer. I have and use brakes on my 17' trailer... .....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Our tug is a Mazda MPV minivan - works well for us, but we have no illusions and always try to "drive smart, tow smart". We, too, will probably add brakes when it is time to replace the axle. L 'n D
Old 12-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: I just voted...NO!!! The Mfg. saw fit not to fit them, and as I feel the modern 4wh. disc/A.B.S. brakes are far superior to what was avail. in 1977 there is no need of them!!! My confidence in brake systems doesn't pre-empt extreem caution while towing
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #18

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Hi: I just voted...NO!!! The Mfg. saw fit not to fit them, and as I feel the modern 4wh. disc/A.B.S. brakes are far superior to what was avail. in 1977 there is no need of them!!! My confidence in brake systems doesn't pre-empt extreem caution while towing
Alf, the word need is subjective, and of course you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone here. If you're comfortable without brakes on your trailer, that's fine, and caution should always be exercised when towing. That said, folks who have towed 13' trailers with and without brakes always report that their only regret is that they didn't install them earlier. Braking performance is significantly enhanced by having brakes on the trailer no matter what the size.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 1975 Boler
No brakes on mine, hopefully this spring she will be sporting them because that extra 1500lbs (loaded weight guestimate) does make a difference in our van with a tow capacity of 3500lbs. I look at it as added safety, or extra insurance and money well spent.
David Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Alf, the word need is subjective, and of course you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone here. If you're comfortable without brakes on your trailer, that's fine, and caution should always be exercised when towing. That said, folks who have towed 13' trailers with and without brakes always report that their only regret is that they didn't install them earlier. Braking performance is significantly enhanced by having brakes on the trailer no matter what the size.

Roger
Hi: I love a "comfortable" discussion...and when the time comes to replace the 30 yr. old axle I may adjust my position "BUT" I am still using the original coupler and safety chains(with hooks)...that look like safety pins on steroids... so should I replace them as well???
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes