Do you like your cargo carrier - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
Do you like your cargo carrier

Just bought a front mounted bike rack, had too much bike damage on even an rv rated rear rack so decided to make the move. Now, I've space in the rear for a small cargo carrier to fit my omw hitch receiver. I read that some like the one from Harbor Freight, but its not a place synonymous with quality, in my mind.
Are cargo carriers "RV rated" as bike racks are? Other then getting one with some rise in it, are there other considerations? I like the ones that fold up but seems that would be a weakness, don't know. I likely wouldn't put more then 125 lbs or so on it. I've a 17' Casita with sway bar thats a bit tongue heavy, more with bikes on the front now so I'm not real concerned with sway, don't drive with more than a half full water tank, tv is an f150. Would love an expensive one, but realistically looking at around $125.

Thanks

Adirondack Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have an aluminum one that folds. I never used it on the back of the Casita but when we had our bikes back there, they did take a beating. On the other hand, we had almost perfect tongue weight with the bikes on the back.

I've used the cargo carrier on the back of my truck and on the back of a class A with no problems. I carried about 110 or so pounds on it. The primary reason for selecting aluminum was for weight, not the impact on the hitch, but my ability to wrestle it into place. On mine, you have the option of removing the hinge bolt and sliding it directly into the receiver, shortening the length of the overhang.

The cost was approximately your budget, but I don't remember for sure. I think I purchased it from eTrailer. I added stick-on reflectors.

Dave Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
I've been using this one for about ten years now. Wouldn't leave home without it. It's made by Stow-Away. I cut off the thin sewer hose bumper and welded on a section of 3/16" X 3" heavy-walled square channel to the frame ends, added a piece of 1 1/2" square channel about 2 feet forward of the rear bumper crosswise between the 3" main frame rails and welded a 2" hitch receiver tube under the both of them.

https://www.stowaway2.com/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0004_2 (Medium).JPG   IMG_0003_4 (Small).JPG  

ReceiverHitch2.JPG   ReceiverTubeandCrossmember.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #4

New York
Stoways are really nice. Having just spent quite a bit for the rack system though, I don't have the courage to ask my wife for that much more. Maybe next year.
Greg, you have great welding skills and I'm jealous.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I've used front hitch bike racks in the past, and discovered the hard way, they are AWFUL at night, as the bikes block your headlights and reflect them right back in your face. We were running rather late going to Mt Lassen one year due to various things piling up, complicated by extensive road construction delays, and I found myself driving the last 2 hours in total darkness on rural mountain roads with massive glare in my face. This was on an E150 van, towing a tent trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #6

New York
John,

My fault for not being clear. The bikes are mounted to the front of the trailer (Casita), not to the front of the tow vehicle. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:23 AM   #7
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I, too, have a fold up aluminum cargo carrier I bought from Menards about 3 years ago for something like $80. I bought it because I rarely take bikes on trips, but the bikes were never damaged using the 1Up rack. Most of the time it remains in the up position, especially e we hen traveling. I bought it as an off-the-ground storage spot for things like the tote I transport my Weber Q grill in once set up in a campsite. It keeps things from getting mud splashed on them if it rains. Wet is OK, muddy not so much. It’s capacity is well over what I would ever set on it or transport on it. Bear in mind, however, that most racks fit somewhat loosely in the receiver and can rattle a bit or “lean” somewhat to one side or the other, appearing to be very much unlovely. And yes, I like mine; it serves its intended purpose admirably and with the capability of folding up, is not in the way when not in use. And I recommend aluminum as it does not rust and look like......well, you know what I mean.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #8

Washington
Registry
If you are experiencing hitch rattle and a loose sloppy fit between the stinger and the receiver tube, you might want to get yourself a hitch tightener, (or two.) I have several of them, and always use them on both or our trucks when towing and on the rear hitch that I put on the trailer itself for the Stow-Away box. They really tighten those loose hitches up good and snug. Prevents that loose rattling and wonky bouncing that you are experiencing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...ne/MPG908.html
Old 02-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #9

New York
Hey Greg.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by my searches for a carrier. Looking for a 2" hitch ready with a riser and smaller size , maybe 20 x 48". I've spent good money after bad before, so I'm coming around to a Stowaway.

What model do you have? Do they have a standard 4 plug interface? Can I just run a 4 plug hookup from my tow vehicle beneath the Casita to the Carrier? Hoping not to have to tap into existing tail/running/turn lights to make this work. 12 volt wiring is not my strength, but I have added running lights each side of my rear window so if I have to apply myself it may work out.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #10
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
If you are experiencing hitch rattle and a loose sloppy fit between the stinger and the receiver tube, you might want to get yourself a hitch tightener, (or two.) I have several of them, and always use them on both or our trucks when towing and on the rear hitch that I put on the trailer itself for the Stow-Away box. They really tighten those loose hitches up good and snug. Prevents that loose rattling and wonky bouncing that you are experiencing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...ne/MPG908.html
Thanks, Greg, but I actually already have an anti-rattle hitch tightening device on my cargo carrier. I only mentioned the loose fit so that the OP would be aware that there is some slop involved.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #11

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Anthony View Post
Hey Greg.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by my searches for a carrier. Looking for a 2" hitch ready with a riser and smaller size , maybe 20 x 48". I've spent good money after bad before, so I'm coming around to a Stowaway.

What model do you have? Do they have a standard 4 plug interface? Can I just run a 4 plug hookup from my tow vehicle beneath the Casita to the Carrier? Hoping not to have to tap into existing tail/running/turn lights to make this work. 12 volt wiring is not my strength, but I have added running lights each side of my rear window so if I have to apply myself it may work out.
OMW, (Orbital Machine Works,) offers a pre-made frame mount 2" receiver setup that only requires drilling a few holes through the 3" main frame rails in order to bolt it to the frame. Much handier for those who don't weld. They've been behind in production for quite a while on these, so I don't know if they are currently in stock. They sell these like hotcakes, and they are a direct bolt-up for the 17' Casita frames. No cutting or fitting, just drill mounting holes and you're done.

Casita Hitch Receiver

The Stow-Away box I bought is this one, (except I got it in white when they had them.) Currently, they appear to only have them available in black.

https://www.stowaway2.com/standard-cargo-carrier

And I ordered mine with the fixed "gooseneck" frame, which is $100 bucks cheaper than the swing-out frame.

https://www.stowaway2.com/fixed-hitch-frame

As far as wiring goes, I just ran a 4-Pin flat lead to pick up the lights in the Stow-Away box. While some people have run wiring under the frame all the way from the front, I found it more convenient, and easier, to just drill a 3/8" hole through the floor in the back of the trailer under the slanted toeboard. Just 2 screws to undo it and it lifts right off. Drill down from the inside so you don't nick any wires, (which could easily happen if you drilled up from the bottom.) then run the 4-Pin lead up from the bottom into the trailer. Seal the hole around the wires with a dab of sealant. All your tail light wires are in that wiring bundle, so they are literally "right there."

This will save you a lot of headache and grief trying to figure out the wiring color codes, (and FWIW, Casita doesn't use the normally accepted color coding for everything they install.)

CASITA TRAILER WIRING----------FUNCTION------------4-PIN FLAT WIRING

White---------------------------------Ground-----------------------------White

Green-------------------------Tail/Running/License----------------------Brown

Red---------------------------------Left/Stop-----------------------------Yellow

Brown-----------------------------Right/Stop----------------------------Green
Old 02-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #12

Name: Bonnie
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Anthony View Post
.... I've space in the rear for a small cargo carrier to fit my omw hitch receiver. I read that some like the one from Harbor Freight, but its not a place synonymous with quality, in my mind. .... I likely wouldn't put more then 125 lbs or so on it. I've a 17' Casita with sway bar that's a bit tongue heavy,....realistically looking at around $125.
That sounds like my setup: 17 Casita, (anti-)sway bar, Orbital receiver, Horror Fright's cheap ATV model rack, and a hitch to stinger slack taker-upper. Works well enough for water hoses, table-top grill, 1 lb. propane bottles for same, basically all the messy, smelly, wet, light weight items I'd rather not transport inside.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #13

Name: Neal
Trailer: 2019 Casita Freedom DLX
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I've been using this one for about ten years now. Wouldn't leave home without it. It's made by Stow-Away. I cut off the thin sewer hose bumper and welded on a section of 3/16" X 3" heavy-walled square channel to the frame ends, added a piece of 1 1/2" square channel about 2 feet forward of the rear bumper crosswise between the 3" main frame rails and welded a 2" hitch receiver tube under the both of them.

https://www.stowaway2.com/
Greg, when you replace the bumper did you stay with the standard 58 inch links or did you go longer
Neal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #14

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
Anchorage
I don't know what Casita says, but Scamp says the rear hitch receiver is for a bicycle rack only. I put rack & bikes there for a few days and decided it was too much extra weight back there. Adding even more weight to the back of my Scamp with a cargo carrier would reduce the tongue weight and stability even more.
Ken Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #15

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal B View Post
Greg, when you replace the bumper did you stay with the standard 58 inch links or did you go longer
I made my new 3" square bumper 58" long, which puts 3" of it outboard of the main frame rails on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
RearBumper2.JPG  
Old 02-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #16

Name: Neal
Trailer: 2019 Casita Freedom DLX
Florida
Thanks Greg, I was thinking maybe yours was a little longer than stock because of your antenna mount. I'm thinking I'll make mine 66 inches which will give me four more inches on each side. I was originally thinking 6 foot but I don't want to come around the corner and take my knee out.
Neal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #17

Name: Harry
Trailer: Parkliner
Virginia
I have Harbor Freight's aluminum cargo carrier. I first used it on my SUV. Now, I have it attached to the back of my Parkliner. I use it for my jack blocks and water systems accessories as the Parkliner is short of storage for these items, especially the black water elbows, adapters, etc. I use plastic buckets on this carrier to keep the clean and dirty items separate. The cargo carrier has proven to be durable and trouble free.
hp in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #18

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal B View Post
Thanks Greg, I was thinking maybe yours was a little longer than stock because of your antenna mount. I'm thinking I'll make mine 66 inches which will give me four more inches on each side. I was originally thinking 6 foot but I don't want to come around the corner and take my knee out.
The antenna mount is just a "slide-in" which I can remove. It has a round vertical mounting fitting welded to it. The poles are basically just sections of commercial chain link fence poles. I also added another pole mount on the "A" frame up front too. Sometimes you can't get a clear line of sight for the satellite with it on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
044.JPG