Does anyone tow with a Jeep TJ or YJ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
Does anyone tow with a Jeep TJ or YJ? I'm looking at some older mid 90's models and can't find towing capacity. Have also heard that the wheel base is too short to tow with?
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I currently tow with a 94 Wrangler. I have a tow rating of 2000lbs. I also have the stock in line 6 cyl. engine. It tows my 73 PlayPac without issues. I haven't towed much yet, but there's plenty of power. I strongly suggest picking something small with brakes for your egg. The addition of the brake controller has made a world of difference for me.

Backing is a real issue with the short wheel length of the jeep and egg. It's hard. Can be done, tho.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Shelley, here's an entire topic on it:
Towing with a Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ, LC FJ-40, LR SIII 80?, Share your tales here
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Shelley,
In 2004, we stopped at the Casita factory in Rice, Texas. While there we talked to a couple who were on a long distance trip. They were towing with a short wheel base Jeep. I recall that it looked about the same size as a '59 CJ that we had at home. The wife made the comment that she did not want to take another trip with the Jeep. Her complaint---the Jeep has no room to carry anything in it. Most of us bring folding chairs, a bar-b-que, maybe an X-pen for a dog, etc. And where would you put a pet? Even an ice chest for cold beverages while on the road becomes problematic. Hope this different point of view is of assistance.
We had a Toyota FJ which I was prepared to spend $10,000 on to build a bullet-proof tug. After examining all the issues, we purchased a used Tundra instead, and haven't looked back.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
Thanks Donna - although all the physics in that discussion made my head spin!

I was interested to see someone towing with a 4 cyl Jeep and would love to hear more specifics of that setup - Ted? Theory is great but someone who is actually using that kind of vehicle is more informative for me. I see you have the 6 cyl Bonnie and I wonder how much difference that makes?

I have towed my Surfside with a 96 Ranger previously and didn't find it had tons of power (a V6 3.0L with a 2" lift) but didn't have any stability issues either. The trailer has electric brakes and sway bars which I have never used but am quite willing to work with. Backing always requires practice lol!

The appeal of the Jeep is certainly the fun factor...I don't intend to go on long trips and it's just me and the dog - space in a regular cab pickup is not any better in my mind without the fun of having the convertible...the other issue is budget - I'm looking to stay around or under $5000 and with gas going where it's going am not interested in some of the larger and older trucks out there.
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2003 Toyota Tacoma
I own an 88" wheel base Land Rover Series II and have towed a couple of trailers with it. The short wheel base and light weight did not make for pleasant experiences. I never felt totally in control of the situation. I also have owned a 1997 Jeep TJ. It had by far the most fun factor of any car I have owned. I would however NEVER tow a trailer with it. Again the short wheel base, and light weight, coupled with a Sports Car like quick steering ratio make the TJ the most demanding driving machine I have ever owned. It was extremely quick and manuverable (a good thing) but I would also call it "Twitchy" (not so good with something attached to the bumper).

Get a Jeep if you want a fun car that is extremely off road capable; but you will be much happier and feel more secure towing with a longer wheel based machine.
Dennis U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Yup. I have a 2001 TJ, in line 6, stick. I've taken my egg some STUPID places and have never had a problem. No fishtailing at high speeds. No overpowering the Jeep on braking or cornering. Handles GREAT off road with a 13' Egg behind. Can't even tell it's there until you drag the hitch tongue across something. Then it's like, Oh yeah! I'm towing a trailer! Backing up is only a problem if you try doing it for your first time ever at the campsite. Personally, now that I've gotten used to it, it's awesome to be able to back the 6'6" wide Boler into a 7' wide space between trees without touching. The reaction speed of the trailer to input from the stubby little Jeep is AMAZING. To me anyways. So, before I make a short story even longer, having driven, or driven in a Grand Cherokee, a Chevy Blazer, and a Kia Rio pulling my egg to a campsite, and manouvering in the sites, the TJ is the best. Hands Down.
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
I'm afraid my towing experience is pretty limited, however. I did tow into some really hilly Missouri land last year. Only had to down shift twice. In hindsight it was probably a precaution, more than a need. I haven't had the bad luck of any trouble yet; however, this summer should provide more data.
I am not in a position to replace the Jeep, so it's what I have. I think the combo of short wheel bases may drive me batty, as I still can't back worth beans. Will need a lot more practice.
I love the fun of the Jeep too. Gas mileage is ok at about 15mpg average.
The V6 is powerful. No issues with having the umph to move the egg.
I'm keeping the weight of the rebuild as light as possible. I think tricked out the PP will weigh in at about 1200lbs. Just an estimate at this moment.
So, it can be done. It is being done. Just remember the response times are really short and be careful.