Double frame? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #1

Name: Dawn
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Registry
Double frame?

After posting a question yesterday about squeaking & creaking while towing, I decided to give our frame a thorough inspection. I didn't get very far before I noticed my 1992 Scamp frame seems to look different than most...it's reinforced at the "A" with a double frame. It appears that it's supposed to be that way, as it continues throughout the entire underside & I can't see how it would function without it. Do I have a unicorn here? WClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1464095137.530626.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	95449Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1464095161.950553.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	95450as it previously modified?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedMac View Post
After posting a question yesterday about squeaking & creaking while towing, I decided to give our frame a thorough inspection. I didn't get very far before I noticed my 1992 Scamp frame seems to look different than most...it's reinforced at the "A" with a double frame. It appears that it's supposed to be that way, as it continues throughout the entire underside & I can't see how it would function without it. Do I have a unicorn here? WAttachment 95449Attachment 95450as it previously modified?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
The area where that is reinforced is a common stress area and known to develop cracks in the frame as noted on many posts. One here had the frame break while trailer was in tow and had to have it repaired. Looks like a PO took preventive measures to avoid any problems.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #3

New York
Registry
Thanks John, I do know of that common problem. So do you think they just added those two "arms" that extend out under the A? It looks like the original A frame goes underneath the length of the camper & then there's another frame welded on below that, to which the new arms are connected
Old 05-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedMac View Post
Thanks John, I do know of that common problem. So do you think they just added those two "arms" that extend out under the A? It looks like the original A frame goes underneath the length of the camper & then there's another frame welded on below that, to which the new arms are connected
That is another known weak area prone to fracture, so it looks like you purchased from a proactive owner......congratulations.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sorry to say thats a Unicorn!

Not found on an unmodified Scamp.

As was mentioned the tongue to main frame area can develop stress cracks and fail (it btw happens on Bolers as well). It is not uncommon to see a repair done in that area on older trailers but how yours has been repaired is not something I have seen previously. I would have it checked over by a competent repair shop.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd say yours is now a bit heavier than a stock Scamp as well as stronger. Might be nice to know how much heavier... unless you're towing with a truck.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

New York
Registry
Good thought, Jon. Extra weight isn't a problem, but I should take it to get weighed out of curiousity.

I would love to see what the underside of someone else's 16' looks like!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
2015 model: (Trolling motor type socket and sway bar ball are owner mods)

Notice the apparent difference in the body, where the OP's seems to have a double dip, the first where the frame is, and a second one further to starboard side.
Attached Thumbnails
P5250375.jpg   P5250376.jpg  

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'd say yours is now a bit heavier than a stock Scamp as well as stronger. Might be nice to know how much heavier... unless you're towing with a truck.
Whether or not its actually stronger depends greatly on how it was actually attached.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
2015 model: (Trolling motor type socket and sway bar ball are owner mods)
Gordon's 2015 model is identical on the under side to my 1992.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Whether or not its actually stronger depends greatly on how it was actually attached.
Well I wouldn't think it would make it weaker, at least I haven't found any indication that a repair was done to the original frame, or any cracks. It simply looks like framing was welded on & connected to the open end of the frame above the door area (same on the other side). Not that I have any experience in welding, but it looks well done (in the sense I would have guessed it was supposed to be like that).

I appreciate the picture Gordon!