Drilling frame for safety chains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 11:49 PM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Drilling frame for safety chains

The original safety chain mount on top of the hitch of our Scamp 13 is broken and the shop is trying to charge $35 bucks just to weld the chains. I was wondering if it would be ok to drill through the frame up front to bolt on new safety chains?
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Some state require them to be welded. I would check you local laws first.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #3

New Jersey
Checked already, welded or bolted is fine.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Probably will use up $35 in drill bits.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:27 AM   #5

New Jersey
I have plenty of drill bits to spare but I've drilled through the bumper and the metal is pretty soft. I'm not sure if it's a different metal but if the frame up front uses the same metal then it should go through easily.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Go elsewhere ....have an eyelet welded on or drill and mount one....not sure why they're charging so much other then they can.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
$35 seems reasonable to me. Probably for a half hour minimum. Do you have any other small item to have welded at the same time that they won't charge extra for? Maybe they will include it. Whatever you decide, do it right and don't cut corners just to save a buck.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Notice that your original chain was bolted to the rear center of the coupler with only one 1/4" or 5/16" bolt in the middle of one single piece of chain.
When I converted to a vertical jack on my 13, I welded in the new cross piece for the jack but decided to bolt the new chains (plural) to the frame by drilling through the frame on each side just under the coupler.
The frame is non-hardened mild carbon steel and not difficult to drill.
This allows a simple method of chain replacement and separates the chains to allow crossing them to form a "basket".
Be sure and use grade eight bolts.

In many applications it is prohibited to weld chains.

$35 is chicken feed in today's mechanical labor market. Most low price shops are north of $80 an hour nowadays with a minimum of one hour.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #9

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Notice that your original chain was bolted to the rear center of the coupler with only one 1/4" or 5/16" bolt in the middle of one single piece of chain.
When I converted to a vertical jack on my 13, I welded in the new cross piece for the jack but decided to bolt the new chains (plural) to the frame by drilling through the frame on each side just under the coupler.
The frame is non-hardened mild carbon steel and not difficult to drill.
This allows a simple method of chain replacement and separates the chains to allow crossing them to form a "basket".
Be sure and use grade eight bolts.

In many applications it is prohibited to weld chains.

$35 is chicken feed in today's mechanical labor market. Most low price shops are north of $80 an hour nowadays with a minimum of one hour.
Did you use eyelets as well or just bolts and washers?
Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
Did you use eyelets as well or just bolts and washers?
Just bolts and washers.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0096.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The ideal situation, is TWO chains, BOLTED to the sides of the A Frame, a distance behind the hitch ball equal to the distance of the chain loops ahead of the ball.

Drill through the vertical center of the frame member. Use Grade 5 or Grade 8 capscrews with flat washers, lock washers and nuts. The chains go to the inside.

That way, with the chains crossed, they do not stretch or droop in a turn.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have been trying to locate a thread dealing with holes in the frame but have not been successful. Perhaps Donna or someone else can find it. The just of it is that your frame is in compression on the top and tension on the bottom. Drilling a hole through both top and bottom weakens the frame and can lead to catastrophic failure. The pictures are rather dramatic. Cracks connecting the holes, etc. It was enough to convince me to not drill any holes in my frame. For $35, I'd pay the welder if he is good. Welding is a skill that takes time to learn and requires the right eqipment. A skilled welder is an artist. And having a relationship with a good welder could be useful in the future. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
That's true about welders. A good one that knows how and where to stick it is worth his weight in gold. But a bad one, can do more damage. Excessive heat, undercuts, etc, can cause stress risers that will, eventually, start a fatique failure.

Drilling holes through rectangular tubing must be done at the center of the vertical, wide, side, horizontally. Stay away from the top and bottom narrow surfaces. The center line is the neutral axis of the "bending beam" that is the trailer frame.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #14

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
I don't think I'd want chain welded to the frame. I can imagine wanting to replace the chain and cutting off the old and welding the new would curl my toes.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Drill or weld

Weld on a d ring they are good for 3500 lbs and the weld is 80000 lbs per sq inch. Try a body shop.to do it .what is the bolt rating. and the leagal cost when it fails. I have seen the results of such fails . $30.00 bucks is cheep. As in insurance appraiser we look for the last guy hoo tuched it.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
At least one state, Washington, specifically forbids welding a safety chain on
https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-70-070

See item #3.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Drill or weld

I can see why they forbid welding the chane on .not much meet there at are shop we cut them off and replace it with a large dring.like you see on a hummer tie down .we also put a heavy chane on . if you do drill do not drill on the flange .this can cause stress cracks. Thanks for the input. its nice to see how things vary from place to place Happy Trailes.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would not drill through the thin steel frame of the Scamp. I looped each chain around the frame on each side of the coupler and attached the chain back on itself. Then take the other end and cross it under the trailer hitch coupler then through the coupler mount on the tug hitch and back to the chain to adjust the proper length and hook it back through the chain its self. I used 2 Harbor freight chains with the snap hooks. Haul-Master®*-*Item#95021 it would have to rip the whole coupler off the frame to loose the trailer. Follow your local laws reguarding mounting your chains and if it requires welding and $35 bucks is too much check with a local muffler shop.

Watch out welding on top of the frame on the passengers side, that is where your frame numbers are stamped. You dont want to mess those up.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
At least one state, Washington, specifically forbids welding a safety chain on
https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-70-070

See item #3.

Joe
Welding has many variables in regard to actual strength, including the skill of the welder, machine, setup, filler, etc. Fasteners are graded with a known value.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #20

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Oliver now uses steel cables that are coated. These have safety hooks. They are no longer using chains. Is this a new requirement?
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote