Ebrakes: are they worth it? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Floyd, "Theoretically possible" is not a reference to your specific incident. It addresses the idea of teaching people how to drive out of an uncontrolled sway without brakes, or instead of applying the trailer brakes.

Yes, it is theoretically possible, I've done it, but highly unlikely to succeed in severe cases. And it is not a substitute for trailer brakes, or a reason to not get trailer brakes.

The response that can be taught to anyone with electric trailer brakes is how to apply them independently of the tow brakes. And when and why to do it.

It seems that generally, people are accepting the idea of brakes on most or all trailers. I remember these discussions in the past where there was adamant debate from those who said brakes were not needed. The bottom line is, it's an exteremely bad idea to tell someone they don't need brakes.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Floyd, "Theoretically possible" is not a reference to your specific incident. It addresses the idea of teaching people how to drive out of an uncontrolled sway without brakes, or instead of applying the trailer brakes.

Yes, it is theoretically possible, I've done it, but highly unlikely to succeed in severe cases. And it is not a substitute for trailer brakes, or a reason to not get trailer brakes.

The response that can be taught to anyone with electric trailer brakes is how to apply them independently of the tow brakes. And when and why to do it.

It seems that generally, people are accepting the idea of brakes on most or all trailers. I remember these discussions in the past where there was adamant debate from those who said brakes were not needed. The bottom line is, it's an exteremely bad idea to tell someone they don't need brakes.
I just used our 5X8 open utility trailer to haul a handicap scooter today. It does not have brakes, and even though I have two full kits in the shop for 7" brakes, the trailer will not be getting brakes anytime soon. I can't speak for "they" but I don't need them for it.
While it may be a bad idea to tell someone that they don't need brakes... it still better to use reason instead of treats, fear and intimidation to convince them of the advantages as is common whenever this subject comes up.(not you)

As I said earlier (post#9) I have them and recommend them and their many advantages.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #23

Smith Valley, Nevada
I towed my Radio Flyer wagon around the yard the other day. By hand! No brakes either. And I was able to stop safely.

There are exceptions to every rule, and ridiculous examples don't serve the original question from the OP. The subject of this conversation, as I understand it, was not about towing a handicap scooter, but towing travel trailers safely over many miles while traveling, and whether the brake option was worth it during the purchase. In my view, it is worth it.

I have no idea who, if anyone was using any "threats".
Old 07-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I towed my Radio Flyer wagon around the yard the other day. By hand! No brakes either. And I was able to stop safely.

There are exceptions to every rule, and ridiculous examples don't serve the original question from the OP. The subject of this conversation, as I understand it, was not about towing a handicap scooter, but towing travel trailers safely over many miles while traveling, and whether the brake option was worth it during the purchase. In my view, it is worth it.

I have no idea who, if anyone was using any "threats".
Yeah , but you can learn something even from your ridiculous example!
Old 07-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
My first stop when checking for towing requirements is my owners manual. One of the notices in the manual for the 2008 4Runner is this statement;
"If the total trailer weight exceeds 453 kg (1000 lb.), trailer brakes are required."

I think that is good advice to follow.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #26

Name: Rodger
Trailer: Currently Looking
Michigan
Get the brakes or spring for an F-350.
Rodger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #27

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Ebrakes are the cheapest insurance you can get and will add to resale value, its a win-win proposition
Scamp-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #28

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
The bottom line is that you really don't need them until you do. And then you will NEED them. There is a reason for having them. Now my tow vehicle would work well without them. But I certainly can tell the difference.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #29

Name: Dan
Trailer: Airstream
Rhode Island
Brake check

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I see what you mean. I drive very slowly, when I have a trailer, and I have never had a panic stop with the trailer. But that doesn't mean I never will. so I will get brakes and thanks all for your advice.

The thing that made me question it, was going down a very steep grade, 8% or so, and not being able to tell the difference. But that was at a uniform speed of about 8 or 10 mph. Is there a way for me to tell if the controller is working (without rehearsing a sudden stop? I mean the numbers look fine and make sense and it is a 2008 4R with tow package, built in controller, when I push down hard on the brakes it shows a digital number going way up. Back up lights and everything else works and it is a straight 7-wire with no adapters... How can I tell if the brakes are working?
While stationary you can jack up 1 side of your trailer then spin the wheel by hand and have someone step on your truck/suv brakes. The trailer brakes should stop the spinning trailer tire.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I installed a brake controller after going down the 13% grade of the east side of Greenhorn Pass. I have never regretted the decision. You hardly ever feel them working but with rapid stops you know they are there. I tow my Scamp 13 with a 2003 Toyota Celica.
Bill Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #31

Name: Lee
Trailer: Trillium
AB
It cost allot more to add them later. Behind my mini van they make a huge improvement. If you have a 3/4 ton truck or bigger it might be irrelevant, but I would buy them anyways.
leecyrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #32

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Buy the brakes for resale even if you only tow 5 miles on level ground and never use a brake controller. Look at your TV unbraked capacity, you may be very close to enough stopping power, get in mountains and you would possibly over heat brakes even on a full size truck. If safety matters its safer with brakes in an emergency stop especially on anything but a straight dry paved road.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
How much are you paying for the camper?
How much are the breaks?
$300 is not a large investment for the safety it brings not to mention the resale value. Of course you will need to spend a bit more for the controller and connector installation.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #34

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I see what you mean. I drive very slowly, when I have a trailer, and I have never had a panic stop with the trailer. But that doesn't mean I never will. so I will get brakes and thanks all for your advice.

The thing that made me question it, was going down a very steep grade, 8% or so, and not being able to tell the difference. But that was at a uniform speed of about 8 or 10 mph. Is there a way for me to tell if the controller is working (without rehearsing a sudden stop? I mean the numbers look fine and make sense and it is a 2008 4R with tow package, built in controller, when I push down hard on the brakes it shows a digital number going way up. Back up lights and everything else works and it is a straight 7-wire with no adapters... How can I tell if the brakes are working?
While rolling down the road at 25 or 30 mph (with no traffic) reach down and apply the trailer brakes manually. If they are working, you will feel a pretty good lurch as they grab and work. If not. there are a number of possibilities, the first being the adjustment of the shoes, and condition of them. After that, wiring and connections.

Charles
Old 07-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #35

Name: David
Trailer: in the market
Idaho
There has been a lot of good discussion here, and a bit of hyperbole. For me, it's brakes when ever possible. $300 is not even close to the decision line. If I could afford a new trailer I would certainly afford the brakes.

I've driven a lot of different vehicles and I don't believe I have ever found one with too much brakes. I have driven many with wholly inadequate brakes though. When all else fails, if you can stop it generally improves the situation.

Life is full of variables. What works for one person often doesn't work for others but I believe we owe each other the consideration it takes to keep us all safe. Trailer brakes are part of that in my mind.
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
There has been a lot of good discussion here, and a bit of hyperbole. For me, it's brakes when ever possible. $300 is not even close to the decision line. If I could afford a new trailer I would certainly afford the brakes.

I've driven a lot of different vehicles and I don't believe I have ever found one with too much brakes. I have driven many with wholly inadequate brakes though. When all else fails, if you can stop it generally improves the situation.

Life is full of variables. What works for one person often doesn't work for others but I believe we owe each other the consideration it takes to keep us all safe. Trailer brakes are part of that in my mind.
While I generally agree with what you've said... I have seen trailers with too much braking... actually caused by adjustment.
On more than one ScampCamp I have found a friend with brakes which locked up approaching every intersection, a simple adjustment of the controller is the usually the cure.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #37

Smith Valley, Nevada
Brakes tend to be weak when new and gradually break in. So it is good to start with a high setting on the controller and work it down as the brakes improve. Then adjust even lower in the rain. Skidding trailer tires is never a good thing.

Later, as they wear and become out of adjustment, they can weaken again, slowly. An adjustment fixes that.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #38

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
Anchorage
Brakes

My take on it: if you can't afford brakes, you can't afford a trailer.
Ken Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I descended a steep, long series of hills, towing my 15' boat with a Subaru wagon years ago. The trailer had no brakes so I took it slow, gearing down and braking as little as possible. When we got to the bottom, approaching a stop sign and intersection with the main highway, the Subaru also had almost no brakes left. If it hadn't barely come to a stop, I likely would have wiped out myself and family.

Towing my brake-less tent trailer down the Coquihalla from the summit toward the snow shed ( an 8% grade ) I geared down and took the far right of three lanes. Even though I was well under the speed limit, I found myself approaching a semi going even slower. Checking my mirrors, there was a steady stream of cars passing me, well over the speed limit. I had no choice but to apply the brakes.

When we got home, the Subaru went into the shop for yet another brake job ( previous brake job was two weeks earlier ).
It really is, "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later", unless you don't live to pay later.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #40

Name: star
Trailer: Parkliner
South Carolina
Yes!
starsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes