Electric brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Electric brakes

Well I just installed electric brakes on my Trillium 1300. They went on nicely. When it came to wiring, I decided to run the wires through the frame rails as the rear of the rail is open right at the axil and the wires come out just aft of the hitch. They are protected from the elements with only inches at each end exposed. Anybody see a downside?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 05-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
As long as the wire is secure and doesn't move around and rub through. Had that problem a lot on freight trailers. And when wiring was run through that corrugated wire loom stuff I've seen many times where grooves were worn into the wire insulation from loom. I like to use jacketed wire secured with loop clamps
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

Registry
Good advice, thank you

Doug L
Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This all depends on the wire's insulation. In this case I would recommend SAE SXL wire. Its heavily insulated with Cross Link (Teflon) which is quite abrasive resistant also it won't sustain fire.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Almost 25 years ago I built a utility trailer and ran the basic 4 wires for the lights through the frame. I was also a little worried about rub through from vibration so I ran them in an old garden hose.
The trailer has been used a TON!, I've replaced the plug end many times but have never had a wire issue in the frame.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Almost 25 years ago I built a utility trailer and ran the basic 4 wires for the lights through the frame. I was also a little worried about rub through from vibration so I ran them in an old garden hose.
The trailer has been used a TON!, I've replaced the plug end many times but have never had a wire issue in the frame.
Fred
I've walked back and forth across the street thousands of times and haven't been hit by car. I don't even bother to look both ways any more, think I'll be OK?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:01 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
You may be OK, but if you do get hit by a car, mmmmm, could that be called chafing and a short? Running wires in a sleeve and looking both ways are both preventative actions. I've run a lot of wire through conduit. The next time I do a trailer I'm going to remember the hose idea as I've got some hungry rabbits around here that love wire
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Fred
PEX plumbing pipe also works well in a similar fashion.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #9

Registry
Hey I like the pex idea.
Thanks all for the great suggestions

Doug L
Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #10

Registry
Electric brakes

Rabbit resistance is a tough one. Squirrels are bad too. On my Subaru the protective sleeve on the output stud on the alternator keeps getting chewed by some critter. It is a strange rubbery plastic and clearly quite tasty. Hey everyone's gotta eat.
I have a large roll of Tefzel 14 gauge aviation wire that has been collecting dust for decades and I chose to use it. It is used in aviation applications and has the huge advantage that I already have it. If it gets chewed I will try something less tasty. The Tefzel seems to spec abrasion resistance similar to Teflon, but does not handle cold as well as Teflon. Hey, it doesn't get too cold here on Vancouver Island, and if it's cold the Trillium stays parked.

Doug L
Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I've walked back and forth across the street thousands of times and haven't been hit by car. I don't even bother to look both ways any more, think I'll be OK?
The Book of Odds say your chances of being hit by a car this year while walking are 1 in 40,000. It also say that "Almost one-third of urban motor vehicle-related deaths are pedestrians."

Unfortunately it does not say what the adjusted odd rates would be for those who don't look before crossing the street
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes