Electrical Brakes for a 13' fiberglass camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Sharp,

Surge brakes are applied by the forward force of the trailer pushing on the TV. A simple linkage applies pressure on a trailer master cylinder hydraulic system that then applies hydraulic brakes on the wheels. It is a simple mechanical design and requires no electrical. But they cannot be applied separately from the TV brakes to correct a sway problem. They also apply when backing up on a hill, so they sometimes must be disconnected to do that. This system is common for trailers being towed by commercial trucks and on boat trailers. Lil Snoozy also uses it.

Electric brakes are better for most situations where the TV is close in weight to the trailer and where the trailer will not be entering salt water.

The best logic for electric brake control is a system that measures the braking force in the TV by looking at the hydraulic pressure in the TV braking system. Max Brake is one brand of controller that does this, and so do built in OEM controllers such as you get with a Ram. Most aftermarket brake controllers measure deceleration of the TV and apply the trailer brakes accordingly. This is not as good as measuring the hydraulic force, but works well as it can be adjusted to match the TV to the trailer and the conditions, and the brakes can be applied independently from the TV brakes in emergencies. Tekonsha is a common brand that uses this method and can be retrofitted to any TV. Time based application is an old fashioned system that simply applies the brakes based in the tail light signal and applies a pre-programmed amount of electrical braking without knowing anything about how fast the TV is trying to stop. This is a very poor method that assumes all stops are the same.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Electrical Brakes for a 13' fiberglass camper

I believe "proportional" is the term used to describe a brake controller that detects (in some fashion) the amount of braking force being applied in the tow vehicle and adjusts braking force in the trailer brakes similarly. Look for a proportional brake controller.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Jim, what did you find out checking your axle ?
I found it is likely the original axle on my 83 Burro, made by Henhshen (rated fro 1200 lbs). I had the intent of buying a new torsion axle after others suggested that the torsion section is likely shot after 34 years, but the old one seems to be in good shape. It responds to upward forces (when I jack it up and down) in an encouraging way and the trailer has no apparent sag. So at this point I'm thinking of just adding electric brakes to the old axle, guided by "if it ain't broken, don't fix it."

I just emailed etrailer to get help finding the brakes I'll need.

I've attached a picture of measurements I made when I was going to order a new axle.
jgilardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It may be worth the extra money to buy the Dexter assemblies from etrailer. I bought the cheaper Axletek assemblies (part # starts with AKE) and had some sort of failure with one. Don't know the exact problem as our son has the trailer and I haven't had time to look at it yet.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #25

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
Laws are for the paranoid or scared. Follow you senses. You are good to go!
hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker22 View Post
Laws are for the paranoid or scared. Follow you senses. You are good to go!
Maybe you're right. I'm not scared, so I've decided to stop on green and go on red. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Laws are for the lawless. Laws protect the innocent from the actions of the lawless. That is not to say all laws are good laws, nor that good laws are always fairly and effectively enforced.

"What could possibly go wrong?"... If everyone stopped on red and went on green, nothing, and there'd be no need for a law making it illegal to run a red light. However, in many places red light running is epidemic. I make a practice to look both ways before entering an intersection, even when I have the green.

A few years ago I T-boned a small pickup truck that rolled right through a stop sign because the driver's "senses" told her the road was clear. Good brakes slowed me enough from 55mph to prevent injury to the two boys riding in the open bed of her truck (which her "senses" apparently told her would be okay, too). Good brakes limited damage to my vehicle to $10K, a good thing because her "senses" told her $10K property damage liability coverage is good enough, and the State of Arizona apparently concurs.

Imagine the same scenario if I had been pulling an unbraked 1500 pound trailer...

If everyone followed current best towing practices, there'd be no need for laws. Of course there will always be disagreement about what are "current best practices." It certainly keeps this forum going! But what any manufacturer did 40 years ago is not relevant. There was also a time when cars came without seat belts.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Does anyone use a breakaway switch with their 13' trailers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Yes I do. Hope to never need it. But if i ever do i will be glad i have it. I dont ever want my trailer going off on its own and possibly harming others. Not for the cost of a few dollers.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, electrical