Engine braking with a 2012 4Runner. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Engine braking with a 2012 4Runner.

This post is about engine braking. I realize this is a widely discussed topic, but I am posting it here for a reason as I explain below. I have a Scamp 13 with electric brakes, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 four-wheel-drive forerunner. Almost every morning I drive down a narrow paved road losing about 600 feet of elevation in a quarter mile or so roughly. I maintain a speed of about 10 miles an hour and I’m really not sure to what degree I should use engine braking versus the brake pedal.
If I shift into four-low, and use an automatic transmission setting of 3, my need for brake-pedal braking is greatly reduced. Another option is to put it in a automatic transmission setting of L, and not use 4WD. Of course there are a lot more possibilities, and because I do it so frequently, I would love to get advice as to what is best in terms of the transmission, the engine, the brakes or other considerations. I have previously gotten advice from people in all of directions.
Based on my past experience on this site, I feel like there are people here who are exceptionally knowledgeable, thoughtful and experienced, so I’m looking forward to getting some expert advice.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just off-hand, I wouldn’t use 4-low on dry pavement, especially if there are turns. Your owner’s manual may have something to say about that. Just put the transmission is the lowest gear and use the brakes as needed. At the speed and distance you’re talking about, there’s little likelihood of overheating the brakes.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Using 4WD on dry pavement will cause a lot of tire wear and is hard on the system, unless it has a "full time" option. Modern vehicles don't have a 2WD low option. Dry pavement will not have a traction problem, so 4WD is not needed anyway. Avoid 4WD.

Using a low gear to raise the engine RPM is fine, and will give more engine braking.

Riding the brakes all that way, almost every day, will definitely shorten the life of the brakes.

It seems your best option is to select L on the tranny, and brake as needed.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Raspy is absolutely correct. The only way to go.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #5

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
I have a 2012 4runner. Yes you can select “s” instead of “d” then 1st 2nd 3rd. Whatever you want. I use it all the time for steep grades or going uphill.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:04 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Using 4WD on dry pavement will cause a lot of tire wear and is hard on the system, unless it has a "full time" option. Modern vehicles don't have a 2WD low option. Dry pavement will not have a traction problem, so 4WD is not needed anyway. Avoid 4WD.

Using a low gear to raise the engine RPM is fine, and will give more engine braking.

Riding the brakes all that way, almost every day, will definitely shorten the life of the brakes.

It seems your best option is to select L on the tranny, and brake as needed.
Thanks all. Thanks Raspy. When I put it in L (2WD) then I hardly need to use the brake pedal much at all, and so the trailer brakes are not activated much. Is that okay for my tow vehicle transmission, engine and ...?

Does the year of the TV matter (mine is 2012)? Some people say that the newer 4Runner transmissions are not as robust.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:57 AM   #7

Smith Valley, Nevada
I can't imagine how you could hurt the trans by doing what you are doing. That's why they give you an L option.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
“L” just means first gear. As long as the engine revs don’t get too high, you’re fine. As Raspy says, this is what it’s for.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I cannot speak for 4 wd as I have never owned one. As per engine breaking I can say with confidence no damage to your engine unless your engine is pushed beyond acceptable rev limits for that engine. I have a brother-in-law that goes to extremes to get high fuel efficiency. He would put his vehicle in neutral on long downgrades. It took some time to convince him that his electronic fuel injection was feeding his engine fuel while idling down hill in neutral and that no fuel was being fed to his engine while engine breaking.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I downshift my FJ Cruiser (same drivetrain as a 4Runner) on downgrades all the time when towing my camper. Especially if you downshift before you get going too fast, it really helps save your brakes from overheating.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #11

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
I downshift to an appropriate gear all the time in my 2017 4Runner when going downhill with the Snoozy. And for the first couple of years the trailer brakes weren't even working. After ~50k miles on the 4Runner, the brakes are still original and fine. These things have big brakes!

Interestingly, in the 2017, when you brake while going downhill, the 4Runner will automatically shift to a lower gear. So that is even more reason to say that it is okay to do so manually.

As an aside, most Snoozy's have surge brakes which will activate under engine compression braking.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #12

Name: Don
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
I have always understood that engine braking downhill does not hurt the engine (with the rev limit caveat mentioned previously) and definitely can keep the brakes from overheating and/or glazing.

We have driven up and down Pike’s Peak twice. Both times coming down I shifted manually into 1st gear to avoid hard and repeated braking. Was driving an earlier model Chevy Tahoe with 4-speed automatic transmission.

A bi-product was watching the engine temperature drop below normal operating temperature since there was no stress on the engine downhill. Also there’s a ranger station part-way where they check the brake temperature. If your brakes are too hot they want you to wait there until they cool enough for the rest of the downward journey. I have never had to rest there because of brakes overheating.
kolocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Casita
New York
Also remember that when using engine braking in 2WD, your rear tires wear faster because they are the only ones doing the braking.
David Marowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Also remember when using your brakes on 2 wd or AWD your front tires wear faster as they do the majority of braking plus they are asked to steer at the same time.
We can't win, tires are going to wear out.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Exactly. And the short 600 yard descent at slow speed described in the original post won’t amount to a hill of beans in the big picture. How many times a day are you going to haul the trailer up and down that hill?

On a serious note, when it is necessary to use the brakes (along with downshifting) to control speed on a longer descent, it is better to brake in short, firm bursts with cooling time in between. Continuous application is more likely to lead to overheating, brake fade, warped rotors, and other bad stuff.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #16

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Exactly. And the short 600 yard descent at slow speed described in the original post won’t amount to a hill of beans in the big picture. How many times a day are you going to haul the trailer up and down that hill?

On a serious note, when it is necessary to use the brakes (along with downshifting) to control speed on a longer descent, it is better to brake in short, firm bursts with cooling time in between. Continuous application is more likely to lead to overheating, brake fade, warped rotors, and other bad stuff.
No, he said it was a 600 foot drop in elevation, in a quarter mile, which is a 45% grade. Makes me wonder how they paved it. That's equal to having a 12/6 roof or close to it.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
No, he said it was a 600 foot drop in elevation, in a quarter mile, which is a 45% grade. Makes me wonder how they paved it. That's equal to having a 12/6 roof or close to it.

Charles
The part I’m sure of is that it’s a 600 foot drop. That’s the change in elevation from where I sleep to where I hang out during the day. Your math is making me think that maybe it’s a half mile or 3/4 of a mile or maybe a little more that it occurs over because, it’s not 45°, but it is quite steep. I’ve been going down in L, as people suggested, and revving at about 2 to 3000 RPM., Which seems to work really well. I appreciate all the experienced seasoned and wonderful advice.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post

Charles
You’re right, I confused the numbers, though 600 yards is actually more than a quarter mile. Still, that would be absurdly steep for a highway vehicle, of course. My point stands. The distance is so short and the speed so slow there would be no measurable wear on any components from using the lowest gear and using brakes as needed.

2000-3000 RPM is nothing to a modern V6.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:03 AM   #19

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Kinda reminds me of a Youtube video I watched earlier this year. The people were visiting a city owned campground around a lake just outside of town, but on much higher ground than the town. The title of the video included 17% grade, which I could not believe. I used Google terrain to determine the beginning and ending elevations, and the distance, and came up with about 11% which, from watching the video was probably about right, quite steep even still. I did some more looking and the video creators had got the 17% from a comment someone had posted on Freecampsites dot net or one of the other similar web sites. They just assumed it was correct. The city website noted it was a steep grade, but didn't say what, and street view didn't show any signs posting the grade.

Charles
Old 01-01-2021, 01:32 AM   #20

Smith Valley, Nevada
Here's my favorite grade. 26% on the Sonora Pass.

I've travelled this road many times and it never gets old
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.27.59 PM.jpg