Equalizer hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Equalizer hitch?

I am considering buying a fiberglass trailer (max 18') and want to know what is recomended for a hitch. Do I (should I) get an equalizer for it? I looked through the Forum for some info and couldn't find anything specific or even a general guide so I am asking.
Is it a state/province law? Trailer Manuf guide? Or is there a general rule based on either length or weight of the trailer?
Same question about aux electric brakes for the trailer.
If both are recomended or needed, then I'll get them installed before buying.
Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
A lot depends on what your tow vehicle is and what it's owner's manual states. My Honda Odyssey requires a Weight Distribution Hitch when towing any trailer that exceeds 1800 pounds and electric trailer brakes for trailers exceeding 2000 pounds. The latter requirement is also in various State and Province Laws, albiet differing weight limits apply to different jurisdictions.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Many if not all states and provinces have laws the require brakes on trailers over ex so many pounds. Most tows also require brakes on a trailer over ex so many pounds - check its manual as the ex so many pounds may be less than what the law states.

The size of the tow vehicle and its caps are normally the driving force behind the use of an equalizer hitch. Some people use them as they find they provide a better tow even though they are well within the tows caps. I know a number of people who use them in order to reduce the tongue weight and bring it down to what their tow vechile can handle and avoid sway as a result.

The first thing you need to do is check the owners manual of your tow as some *do not support* the use of an equalizer hitch while others require its use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Thanks Frederick. Great information.
I plan to pull with my Ranger (4x4) and it has a maximum towing cap around 5,000 lbs. The manual says nothing that I can find so far regarding hitches or brakes. It does have a trailer tow package with a 2" receiver.
Does an equalizer need to be purchased or mounted for a given trailer or are they quite universal?
Is an equalizer something that requires specific installation knowledge or is it a matter of "bolting it in"?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Thanks Carol. Is there a site on line for BC that gives some legal requirements or are you referring to the towing vehicle requirements? Does the vehicle being towed (trailer) have specs on what is needed to tow it?
Do most fiberglass trailers have (come with) electric brakes? I don't see this mentioned in ads so is it a "given" that they come with them?
Thanks again.
Richard
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #6

Registry
I was referring to both the BC laws re brakes on trailers and the towing vehicle requirements.

Here is a link to the basic brake rule in BC.

Keep reading your owners manual or check on line with Ford re at what weight they require brakes on the trailer.

Most of the 16' and larger Fiberglass trailers come with brakes as standard. It seems that some of the newer 13' do as well but many of the olders ones did not.

Trailer manufactures do not normally tell you what you need to tow their trailers with other than telling you what size ball and the weight of the trailer. Its up to you to know what your tow vehicles safe towing cap is.

What size trailer are you looking for? with a 5000lb cap why do you think you are going to need an equalizer.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Ok after reading the information posted, I re read the Ranger manual and checked the door sticker and found out my truck is not wired for electric brakes but they can be installed :-)
The maximum trailer wieght that can be pulled without an equalizer is 2,000 lbs. Anything heavier requires an equalizer.
So, I guess before buying a trailer I need to do some installs.
Thanks everyone for helping me find what I need.
Richard
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #8

Registry
Hint if you decide to install a brake controller - look across the line. In my experence they can be way way cheaper. Suspect the equilizer may well be as well.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Good tip :-) Althought the way the $ is going I better go soon!
Are the brake controllers and eq hitches pretty universal or are they made for specific vehicles. I have seen them on Buy & Sell in the past (before I was interested in tralers) and could likely get one there at a reduced price but I'd have to have them installed somewhere.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #10

Registry
Brake controllers are universal. If you search here you will find that the Tekonsha Prodige P2 is a *very* popular brake controller - IMHO you cant go wrong with it.

Check around in Nanamio with the folks that sell boat trailers and rv's for recommondations on who can install the wiring for you. The wiring for the controller is universal and then all you need to do is mount and plug in the controller.

Cant answer re the equilizer hitch. Again a search of this forum may help you with ideas as to brand.

I realize your not on the mainland but Burnaby Hitch might be a good place to start in so far as calling and asking prices for what you need - who knows they may have more competive prices these days. They by the way can also do wiring and anything else you need.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you are looking for an Equal-i-zer brand hitch, just get the one with the lightest bars (6000 lb rated, last I checked). Very good hitch, I have one from when I towed a 23' Rockwood but don't use it with my 16'. Got mine from RV Wholesalers website.

Another good weight-distributing/sway-control hitch is the Reese Dual Cam. And there's a newer one called Blue Ox Sway Pro... don't know much about it but it looks ok.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
It does have a trailer tow package with a 2" receiver.
Does an equalizer need to be purchased or mounted for a given trailer or are they quite universal?
Is an equalizer something that requires specific installation knowledge or is it a matter of "bolting it in"?
Equal-i-zer® Hitch - with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution is a specific brand of Weight Distribution Hitch. There are others that do not include built-in sway control, such as the Reese® model that came with my trailer. I have a separate Friction Anti-Sway bar.

They need to be purchased in a size/capacity to match the Tongue Weight of the trailer they are to be mounted on. Too small and it won't distribute enough weight; too hefty and you risk bending the trailer's tongue or damaging the tow vehicle's receiver and frame. Many of the newer designs are bolt-on, while my older one has components that are welded onto the trailer's tongue.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Have towed without an equalizer hitch, but not after i tried WITH one. The truck and trailer track like one unit.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #14

Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Thank you ALL!
Now, I certainly know more about hitches, brakes and my own vehicle than I did just a couple of hours ago.
Looks like I have some homework and learning to do digesting all the great info here.
Looks like I can get and install an electric brake system on my truck and wait to get the anti sway bar/hitch once I know what I'm buying for a trailer.
Thanks again.
Richard
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have an Egg Camper and were told specifically by Jim Palmer, company president, DO NOT use a wd hitch with an Egg Camper. Even on our minivan, the rear only dropped an inch. With our truck, not at all.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #16

Registry
Did he say why? Does your minivan manual say you should be using one? It seems a little odd for a trailer manufacture to say. IMHO its normally the tow vehicle manufacture thats the determining force and there are lots out there that require them.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
He didn't say. It was during our delivery procedure. I haven't checked the minivan manual since it only drops an inch as measured. Probably won't check it now since we don't tow with the minivan any more, though it did a fine job. Since my wife & I are geezers, we prefer the comfort of the Chevy pickup seats to those in the minivan. MPG with either is 14-17 depending on conditions.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Carol, a WD hitch spreads the tongue weight not only through the vehicle chassis, but also the trailer frame. I should assume that the reason they don't recommend it is that the trailer frame is not designed to take that kind of stress. Many trailer hitched and many car chassis are also not designed to take this kind of stress.

The tension of the WD hitch bars help to spread out the weight. But think of it this way: They always say to lift with your legs and not your back, right? Well, what if your knees are bad? Then lifting with your legs might be a really bad thing to do. Same with a car or a trailer that is not designed to have the stress of a WD hitch on it.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Here's a rough sketch (I hope) of the towing rig for my Trillium 1300 and a Tacoma with tow pkg. [3500 lbs]. They were called sway bars when I was growing up.
When the chains are attached to the trailer frame should the link just be slipped over the pin or should the bar and chain be pressured upwards to allow the second or third link to slip onto the pin on the trailer frame?
And, does moving the link change the weight/pressure/distribution?
Hope this can be understood. Thanks in advance. D
Attached Thumbnails
scan0022.jpg  
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Those are really weight distribution bars, not sway bars. They don't do much about sway. You usually attach the chain not with the first link, but with a subsequent link such that it takes some of the weight off the back (distributing it to both the truck's front axle and the trailer's axle) and levels the rig. Either you will crank up the jack to let you hook up the chains, or you can use a snap-up bar on the chain for leverage if you have one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote