ESC & Andersen WDH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2024, 01:50 PM   #1

Name: craig
Trailer: Rockwood
OH
Question ESC & Andersen WDH

Hello. Anticipating the arrival of our new Escape 21C in June and was planning on going with the Andersen WDH (like it's light weight and relative simplicity). My tow vehicle is a Chevrolet Colorado.

In looking over the documentation for the hitch, I see that they suggest disabling electronic sway control in the tow vehicle. This isn't really feasible in the Colorado, as per the manual you can switch it off but it will automatically turn itself back on when the truck hits 30mph...I'm sure I would be quite unpopular driving down the interstate at 25mph! :

Apparently, Blue Ox has the same recommendation and in reading the forums at coloradofans people have said they've towed with the blue ox and have never had the ESC activate, so they feel the advice given by Blue Ox is erroneous. Intuitively this makes sense, as the ESC is only supposed to kick in when the truck senses rear end sway....which the Andersen WDH is meant to prevent.

Just wondering what the group think is on this and if anyone has any real world info they wish to share, especially if you've been towing with the Colorado or Canyon.

Thanks a bunch!
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:22 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton View Post
Hello. Anticipating the arrival of our new Escape 21C in June and was planning on going with the Andersen WDH (like it's light weight and relative simplicity). My tow vehicle is a Chevrolet Colorado.

In looking over the documentation for the hitch, I see that they suggest disabling electronic sway control in the tow vehicle. This isn't really feasible in the Colorado, as per the manual you can switch it off but it will automatically turn itself back on when the truck hits 30mph...I'm sure I would be quite unpopular driving down the interstate at 25mph! :

Apparently, Blue Ox has the same recommendation and in reading the forums at coloradofans people have said they've towed with the blue ox and have never had the ESC activate, so they feel the advice given by Blue Ox is erroneous. Intuitively this makes sense, as the ESC is only supposed to kick in when the truck senses rear end sway....which the Andersen WDH is meant to prevent.

Just wondering what the group think is on this and if anyone has any real world info they wish to share, especially if you've been towing with the Colorado or Canyon.

Thanks a bunch!
Olivers almost exclusively use Anderson hitches because they fit without cutting fiberglass. Not that they work better, just fit without altering the body. They have been known to set off stability alerts in Fords and this was discussed a few years ago on the Oliver discussion site. Anderson said to turn off the stability alarm, which I think is a ridiculous "fix". Add a WDH to increase stability, and turn off a safety system to reduce stability. It's easy for them to tell you to shut off the stability system because they just want to sell you a hitch, instead of possibly addressing anything about the hitch design. But that's what you might expect from Anderson, as they have a history of being inconsistent and making poor judgements. How would you feel about that decision if you had a wreck after following their recommendation?

Why are you planning to use a WDH before even trying the trailer? Is your tow vehicle undersized? What problem do you know exists before even getting the trailer?
Old 03-20-2024, 07:12 PM   #3

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Craig, I opined on that other camper site regarding your questions on ESC versus trailer sway resisting devices, but in regards to the question of why a WDH posed above, I'm of the opinion that adding weight behind the rear axle and levering some weight load OFF the front by that added rear weight, is not beneficial for steering nor braking.
That's my free advice and it comes with a double your money back guarantee.