EU sway control - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
EU sway control

I am in the midst of specifying options for my future purchase of a camping trailer in Poland and noticed that sway control technology is very different in the US and in the EU even though frictional working principle is mostly the same (some US sway controls are not based on friction). In the EU the sway frictional elements are built into the coupling with replaceable friction pads. Attaching the hitch seems to be very easy, just one lever. For this system to work the 50mm diameter ball (EU standard) needs to be a fully integrated part of the hitch to prevent potentially hazardous ball rotation. This sway control works well with mechanical or hydraulic inertia brakes.
http://www.al-ko.co.uk/Downloads/AKS1300Stabiliser(2001).pdf
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
I've not looked into sway control, but the device described here seems an interesting approach to the issue. I'm curious to read what other, more experienced folks might have to say.

Dave
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
That would work with European "swan neck" ball mounts, since they can't unscrew. Some of their hitches are really slick... some even have an electric retracting ball. Others have really nice quick disconnects that don't require any tools. The interesting thing is that many of their hitches do not incorporate safety chains. As one of my German friends said, "Our hitches do not fail... we do not need chains."
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Researching the coupling I picked a newer, a little more expensive model of the stabilizing coupling by the same company with dual axis oscillation dumping functions, horizontal for sway and vertical for pitching (a bump) or porpoising (cyclic bumps). I am not aware of this feature being available in any DOT approved hitch system.
http://92.52.96.201/pdfs/aks3004stabiliser2005.pdf
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote