Extra mirrors needed? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
John,
They look like the 11950 mirror on CIPA's web site. They don't give a size range for what they will fit. They are on sale. Buy one for $7.99 and get one free. Or so they say.

Did you get them at the PTC Walmart?

Thanks,
Kip
Kip,
Yes, they are CIPA part number 11950 and expand or contact to fit either my Dodge Dakota or my Subaru Outback.
The glass can be swiveled to either run horizontally, or vertically, whichever works best for individual applications.
I erred when I said I got them at WalMart. I saw some there, but I actually picked them up at the PTC K-Mart.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
John,

They don't give a size range for what they will fit.
Thanks,
Kip
Forgot to mention, they expand vertically to accept mirrors up to 8" tall. The rubber straps are very secure and hold their adjustment. There is minor vibration at max speed due to the airflow but not a problem at all.
Someone at the LBL Scamp meet also had one of those "Fasthitch 11955" mirrors for the truck tailgate to aid hitching and they really liked it. I need to check into those too.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #23

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
No, but they might block someone beside me from seeing my turn signals, since they are on the edge of the mirror housing.
If a Walmart or K-Mart near you carry that PN11950 mirror you could try them and if not satisfied take them back.

What is your tow vehicle? Is it a full size truck or SUV?
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler 1984
Just a hint....
I criss-cross the straps on my mirrors and have had no slippage problems since. Used them on a Dodge Dakota for several summers and for a month this last summer on a Toyota Highlander.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #25

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
If a Walmart or K-Mart near you carry that PN11950 mirror you could try them and if not satisfied take them back.

What is your tow vehicle? Is it a full size truck or SUV?
Nope, subcompact car -- Scion xD. Similar to a Toyota Yaris, but with a Corolla engine.

I looked at the WalMart mirrors today, and they cost twice as much as camping world sells the CIPA mirror for. I think I'll wait until I get out there. There are two camping worlds that are each 2+ hours from me in either direction (VA or NJ).
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #26

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it really depends completely on your vehicle and trailer combo. With my Liberty, I didn't need mirrors for either of my Burros, but with my current trailer, I couldn't think of going without them.

I hate to have them on there, but I would hate smooshing someone more.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Hi Karalyn,

What is your tow vehicle?

Thanks,
Kip
Kip. I tow with a 2002 GMC Envoy V6.
I can not see a car directly in back of me and did not think any mirror would improve that. From all these messages I am thinking the reason for the extra mirrors might be just to see the car right behind the camper.
I can see the road behind me fine with my SUV mirrors.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
it really depends completely on your vehicle and trailer combo. With my Liberty, I didn't need mirrors for either of my Burros, but with my current trailer, I couldn't think of going without them.

I hate to have them on there, but I would hate smooshing someone more.
Gina, what are you towing now, and are you towing it with the Jeep Liberty? What can you see with the extra mirrors that you could not see without them?
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #29

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalyn View Post
Gina, what are you towing now, and are you towing it with the Jeep Liberty? What can you see with the extra mirrors that you could not see without them?
Karalyn, did you check out the photos that John H. posted on the first page of this thread? If you click on them and make them bigger, you can get a pretty good feel for what they do. I am thinking it is a good idea to use mirrors like these. Of course, some people don't use their mirrors (or their eyes, for that matter) out on the road . Of course, nobody on this forum is a bad driver, right?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
McKesh towing mirrors were the answer for my problem. The 8' wide Bigfoot behind our Toyota Sienna minivan required something better than strap-on extensions. I could not be happier.

McKesh Mirrors
Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #31

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Our mirrors on our Tundra are fine you just have to make sure the person you are passing is really tiny when you pull in.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #32

Maryland
Just bought a pair of the CIPA strap-on extension mirrors from Camping World. I tried them on, but haven't towed with them yet. They are easy to put on... I'm hoping they hold steady on the highway!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #33

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Just bought a pair of the CIPA strap-on extension mirrors from Camping World. I tried them on, but haven't towed with them yet. They are easy to put on... I'm hoping they hold steady on the highway!
Keep your receipt. If they are like mine I could get them tight enough to stop the excessive vibration. I lost my receipt so they've been gathering dust in the shop for 2 years.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #34

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Jesse,

Which model (PN) did you get?

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #35

Maryland
Oops, looks like it is not CIPA brand. I was looking at quite a few, and that name stuck with me for some reason. It is Camping World item #25855.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I am really close to buying those CIPA mirrors... just two problems: 1) nobody close to me sells them. I was planning a trip to Camping World, anyway... so no big deal. 2) My car has turn signals on the mirrors, and I hate to block them.
They are what I have as well and they will not block your turn signals on the mirrors. Pretty sure I picked mine up at Wally World.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #37

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
They are what I have as well and they will not block your turn signals on the mirrors. Pretty sure I picked mine up at Wally World.
They do block anyone beside and slightly back from seeing my turn signals. I am not as worried about merging into someone's lane, but rather about someone not knowing that I want to change lanes (and hopefully make room for me).
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #38

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Was told to:
Adjust vehicle mirrors to clearly see traffic approaching from behind or use extension mirrors or backup camera set on to view while driving if necessary. "trailer is 8' wide so use wireless camera system"
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #39

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Trailer towing requirements: as per mto
-1,360 kg or 3,000lb or 50% of vehicle weight needs brakes with breakaway switch
-safety chains with clips capable of retaining trailer
-load-equalizing hitch maybe needed, trailer and vehicle must be level and hitch must handle min of 10% of load on hitch
-Adjust vehicle mirrors to clearly see traffic approaching from behind. Can use extension mirrors if necessary or rear camera
-vehicle cargo weight, plus tow weight max equals total without trans cooler or tow kit.
-class 3 500 / 5000lb or less depending on setup “equalizing hitch shares load front and back”
-class 1 200 / 2000lb
-8' 6" width max trailer width
-st 225 / 75r15 60psi proper 17’ boler tires
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #40

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew
Oops, looks like it is not CIPA brand. I was looking at quite a few, and that name stuck with me for some reason. It is Camping World item #25855.
I used these extension mirrors for the first time over the Thanksgiving holiday. They worked pretty well. As expected, they shake a bit at speed, but they are still useful. I can see quite a bit further back than with my car's stock mirrors. I found it most helpful to adjust the extension mirrors to see straight back, and the car's mirrors to see further out to the sides.

I recommend them.