F-150 3.5 EcoBoost? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Cheryl,

T think you are right for passing on the Ram. That truck is really huge with the long cab and long bed. It's way overkill for pulling a Scamp.

I'm on my third Ram/Cummins now and love them, but am considering going to a Ram 1500 Hemi E-torque. The 3/4 and 1 ton models are brutes on rough roads and maintenance is more expensive. I do it all myself, but still. Also, I have a regular cab, but the quad cab looks much more practical for traveling. Then there is the question of 4WD or not. Personally, I would not by a 2WD truck and I suspect you are considering 4WD too, living high in the mountains. That feature alone would hold me back when looking at a Ram. In the years you mentioned, 2004-2007, in 3/4 and 1 ton, the front ends are weak. The engines are bombproof, but a used one will need front end work.

Sounds like you are on the right track looking at a 1500 four door, short bed, 4WD. One other consideration too, Rams, for example, can come with a 5th wheel prep package. It has the frame mount and rubber plugs in the bed where the hitch drops in and attaches, as well as the bed mounted electrical plug. Very nice. Not sure if this is available on the 1500 though. Have you looked at the cost of installing a 5th wheel hitch?
Old 03-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #22

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Cheryl I second what both Cliff and Carl have said above re the F150 with the 2.7EB. We have the same a 2015 with the six speed and am very happy with it. It's now our daily driver as well as towing but it's towed first our Escape single axle 5.0 and now our tandem one without issue. Towing mileage is over half of total mileage.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #23

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Looking While I Continue to Work
North Carolina
[QUOTE=Raspy;734825]Cheryl,

T think you are right for passing on the Ram. That truck is really huge with the long cab and long bed. It's way overkill for pulling a Scamp.

Thanks, John for the info about the 5th wheel hitch package, have not seen that yet in the used models I've been looking at. Seems most have been construction trucks. I keep checking the forums but I'm in a tight window due to my upcoming move to Austin.
CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #24

North Carolina
Obviously, I need to practice how to quote...sorry about the mess above.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement to not pass on the EB while I continue to look at the 1500 V8. I'll keep everyone posted with the outcome!

Feel so lucky to be amongst such great people here, thanks for helping me on this journey.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Diesel

Hi Cheryl, I tow an escape 5th wheel with the 2.7 eco boost in an f-150 extended cab with a 6.5’ bed. It is a very nice truck! BUT... I would suggest you take another look at the diesel truck. What the owner says about longevity is true as long as rust and corrosion are not issues in your area. The Dodge is all set to tow the scamp and while it may be much more than the Scamp requires, it’s ready to go now. That dodge is very close to the same length as my F-150. So consider taking another look at the condition. If you go with the Dodge and decide after this camping season that the Dodge is not to your liking, I think it will be a easy sell. Have a place that is familiar with dodge trucks put it on a lift and check out the bottom and the front end.
Best of luck on you new venture
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Obviously, I need to practice how to quote...sorry about the mess above.

Just use the QUOTE box under the message. You will get a new text box with the quoted post in place. Delete portions that aren't pertinent to what you are commenting on. Do not remove the brackets at the beginning and end. Preview your post before submitting.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just use the QUOTE box under the message. You will get a new text box with the quoted post in place. Delete portions that aren't pertinent to what you are commenting on. Do not remove the brackets at the beginning and end. Preview your post before submitting.

Hope this looks better
Old 03-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Hope this looks better

You've got it.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #29

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Diesel

If you do go diesel remember in most parts of country diesel is at least 20% more expensive than gas so if you're figuring mileage take that into consideration 😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #30

Name: Brian
Trailer: Owner of a Casita Spirit Deluxe - 16 foot model
California
Quote:
I'm a Ford girl so pretty set in my ways:
1st car was a 64.5 Mustang Fastback and continued with Mustangs until 2000 when I bought a Windstar which I currently own and converted into a camper (287k) miles.

Just made plans to get a 2013 Scamp fiver
So...I'm finally entering the truck world. Must have the crew cab for the flat storage space in the back as it will hold supplies that won't fit in the Scamp.
Looked at F-150's yesterday and discovered the EcoBoost 3.5 but also know about the 2.7.

I will be using the truck as my only daily driver, so fuel efficiency would be nice but dependability is key. Since this is a relatively new engine for Ford, I wanted to get some feedback about this engine compared to a standard 3.3L V6.

I will be buying used and hopefully keep to my budget of under 30k

Thank you!
The Eco boost twin turbo is proven and reliable let. The 2.7 is efficient but limits you as far as capacity. Stick with the 3.5. It has neck snapping performance, good mileage and high efficiency. Good luck.
brian05150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #31

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Your original question was about the F-150 Ecoboost.
I know several owners of the truck who tow large heavy travel trailers...
they are happy campers.

I would avoid the “ new” ranger model from Ford. No track record.

Consumers Reports current issue is devoted to motor vehicles.

Ratings: Ford F-150...average dependability.
Toyota Tundra...clearly above average.
Nissan Full size truck...below average.
Dodge. “. “. “ .....below average
GM products also below average dependability.

My personal experience with Toyota products = above average dependability
For well over 100,000 miles...in one case over 200,000 miles...no major repairs.

Buy something dependable and be a happy camper.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #32

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian05150 View Post
The Eco boost twin turbo is proven and reliable let. The 2.7 is efficient but limits you as far as capacity. Stick with the 3.5. It has neck snapping performance, good mileage and high efficiency. Good luck.
I somewhat disagree with Brian. I have towed my 5.0TA with a 2012 3.5EB (yes, it is a rocket) and with my current 2015 2.7EB. The 5.0TA is heavier than the Scamp 19, yet going uphill, if I punch the accelerator while towing with the 2.7 it will pick up speed rapidly. The cargo capacity of the two are within 75 lbs of each other, so unless one is hauling a load of gravel in the bed while towing there will be no problem. Not towing, the 2.7 gets at least 6-7 mpg better than the 3.5 ever did.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #33

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
The F150 ecoboost is a good engine and great tower from what my friends have but the repair service higher . Also the gas mileage is not what is advertised in real life usage and more than likely from flat and level no wind and no towing. I bought a brand new 2016 5.0 litre 6 speed FWD in very early 2017 at a pretty good price. Added the ford electric brake controller at the advice of the salesman as it controls the shift better in tow mode, minimizing the brake wear as I towe a 21 ft Bigfoot. Mileage is comparable to my 2000 Ranger 4L V6 towing a smaller trailer and much better than my 2004 5.4l towing the same Bigfoot. On the highway with no trailer I get better than advertised. go with the 5L V8 as that has been on the road for a long time in the Mustang. Also regular induction is lower maintenance than the Ecoboost engine. Just my nickel from experience.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #34

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
A poll was recently taken in a large Ford dealership garage amongst the mechanics, the majority of the mechanics recommend the 5.0L V8 over the ecoboost models for reliability.

Despite that poll I am rather taken with the new F150 3.0L powerstroke diesel, my brother in law has on and tows a 25 ft travel trailer, he is happy so far.

Uplander is very accurate in his relibility accessment of brands above.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Take a look at the Ranger supercab with the back seat delete option,then if that's not it, look at the F150 supercab... lots of storage.

If you choose the F150, get the 2.7 ecoboost. It is overkill capable , a lot cheaper, and gets better economy while towing than the 3.5 in your application.

The Ranger is the right right size and has greater payload and tow rating than some fullsized trucks... GCWR 12800 pounds, 1860 payload,7500 pounds tow rating.

Still, buy what you like because early trades cost BIG money.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaMiner View Post
A poll was recently taken in a large Ford dealership garage amongst the mechanics, the majority of the mechanics recommend the 5.0L V8 over the ecoboost models for reliability.

So... 3or4 mechanics in some unnamed garage somewhere preferred the V8?? No surprise, with all great choices!

At least it was the right brand with all good choices!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #37

Name: Mike
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
The gas mileage will decrease substantially with an Eco Boost 6 cyl. This is my experience. It doesn't matter if it is an empty utility trailer...the mile per gallon is bad.
xocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #38

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
My cousin towed a 34 ft Dutchman for several yrs and ended up with a late model F150 3.5TT, he said it towed great even in the mountains going from Washington to Montana. But mpg was bad. I think only way he would see better mpg is to buy a large diesel truck.

As for the poll taken for reliability of 5.0L over Ecoboost here is the video of the Ford garage where it was done.

CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #39

Name: Eric
Trailer: Chalet Arrowhead
California
Quote:
Thanks Radar1!
Looked at the Ranger yesterday as I really was hoping to love it!
Not impressed with how Ford designed the back crew space. Seats do not drop down flat so I have no way to make the Ranger work.
The F150 and Ranger have that big truck bed in the back with a lot more storage than a cramped crew cab. Put a locking fiberglass tonneau cover on it like a Snugtop and you have dry, secure storage for anything you want to bring. Put extra clothes in the crew cab to keep them clean.

Slightly better gas mileage too when you cover the truck bed with a tonneau.

Eric
EricJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #40

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Fuel Mileage Fantasy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
...Also the gas mileage is not what is advertised in real life usage and more than likely from flat and level no wind and no towing.
Actually factory gas mileage is based on tests on dynamometers (indoors), which are like giant treadmills for cars. The EPA examines 200 to 250 vehicles a year, or roughly 15 percent of new models. As to that other 85 percent, the EPA takes automakers at their word without any testing — accepting submitted results as accurate.

How the EPA actually simulates city and highway driving is actually insane. One test cycle developed in 1972 has a maximum acceleration equivalent to an 18-second 0-to-60-mph.

So when they say your mileage may vary, they aren't kidding.

--Harold
Attached Thumbnails
1920-1930.jpg   1951gaswar.jpg  

Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco