Failure of Axle Brackets on Scamp 5W Trailers - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Afternoon all,

I have just had the axle of my 07 19' repaired as per Kent's suggestion, and that of the welder who did the repair. Terry welded in a 12 inch length of heavy wall square tubing agasinst the spacer on the frame, and the horizontal part of the axel mount. Sure looks solid, and I don't thnk I'll worry about it any more. Will, of course, check all regularly. The cost was reasonable, and Kent has said he'll pick up the bill. Many thanks to those who started this line. Because of you, I was able to have the repair done before any serious problems developed. There was a crack, but no displacement of it, and the repair was relatively simple.

Chuck
Chuck Szuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #42

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Darwin Maring, 17 July 2008
My 2002 Scamp 5r Post Axle Replacement Report

I notified both Scamp and AL-KO (along with pictures) in 2005 of the axle situation and was blown off by both of them. All my communications, from 2005 to 2008, with Scamp and AL-KO were certified with return receipt. I firmly believe that having everything in writing and PROOF that I sent it a must when dealing with companies in situations like this.

When the axle problem blossomed on the Fiberglassrv web site and with me receiving emails and phone conversations from Blair McClure, Kamper bob and a phone call from an individual that had the problem on a 2007 within a very short period of picking it up, I sent my package back to Scamp along with some of the posts and requested that they:

Send me a new (BOLT ON) axle
Pay for my Temporary repair so I could move the unit with some sort of safe feeling.
Pay to have the temp repair removed and new Bolt On axle installed.

Kent of Scamp accepted my proposal and when I sent him the estimate of the cost he balked at the estimated 12 hours of labor -Do Not Post Email Addresses- $60 per hour to complete the work. He said that he use to weld and thought it should not take more than 4 hours however he would pay for 6 hours and because he had me over a barrel, I agreed to pay for anything over 6 hours.

My welder is a Certified welder and when he looked at the pictures of the failed axle he stated that he thought because the axle bracket was not supported fully on the frame of the camper and because there is a bolt hole and weld so close to the hole that he thought the heat from the weld may have crystallized the bracket thus allowing it to RIP the bracket.

Anyway:

Scamp sent me the new AL-KO axle with BOLT on bracket.
The welder removed the temp fix and installed the Bolt On Axle and if I ever need to replace the axle again I can do it myself just by jacking the unit up, unbolting the old axle and bolting on a new one.
I sent Scamp a bill for the temp fix and the new install and they sent me a check.
Scamp ask for my 5r Vin and serial number because they said they lost all their records in the fire.

I think Scamp should :

Because they apparently do not have any records of where the pre-fire campers are, I think they should take out adds in Camping magazines (Good Sam for one) to notify Scamp owners on how to go about inspecting their units and what to do should they find the problem.
I also think they should notify the Federal Highway and traffic safety people of a possible problem so notifications can be posted and the public be notified. Just think what the outcome could be should some one be hurt or killed by a failure that they knew about since 2005 and may be adjudicated to be liable for. A prior notice could save some grief and their corporation if it was adjudicated their fault.

Thanks to Blair, Kamper Bob and all the others who have helped in this process.

Forgot to thank Pete Dumbleton for starting this thread. Many thanks Pete.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #43

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
These axle brackets look OK, Are They?

Jon in AZ picked up I should check these on my just purchased 2005 19.

Can someone give me a thumbs up or down?

Arthur

ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Darwin Maring, 17 July 2008

Forgot to thank Pete Dumbleton for starting this thread. Many thanks Pete.
It's nice that Pete's helpfulness continues to live on long after he's gone. I've learned a lot reading his posts, just wish I had the chance to meet him while he was still with us.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #45

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
I know this thread dates way back, but I find that I must comment. I checked the NTSA Recalls for Eveland Scamp and there have only been 5 over the current history of the NTSA recall, investigation, and complaints concerning Scamp. Not one of them concerns any problems with the axle. They all concerned a supplier's refrigerator. Now anyone, including the owner of a vehicle, can file a Vehicle Safety Complaint with the National Transportation Safety Administration. Most often they are reported by shop or dealer's mechanics. Now just how are Scamp owners who are not members of internet forums suppose to find out about problems concerning a RV or travel trailer before they by one. According to NTSA there has never been a axle problem on any Scamp. There will never be a recall without someone filing a Safety Complaint!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #46

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Yes it is an old post

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
I know this thread dates way back, but I find that I must comment.
But the old Scamps are being sold every week. It is important for buyers to get under the unit and inspect both the floor and frame. Trust no one. (and it's not just Scamps.) I think that this is the Darwin Maring picture that started it all.
Attached Thumbnails
axle break.JPG  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #47

Trailer: Unknown fiberglass 5th Wheel
Registry
We lost our axle on our scamp 5th wheel while driving from Las Vegas to Tucson. We were lucky to have a metal bumper across the back but we did have quite a bit of damage. We were passing a slow moving truck on the I-10 and suddenly we learched to the side. Looked in the mirror and the tires and axle were bouncing away as our shell was dragged on the ground sparks flying. Thank you to the truck that slowed everyone behind us down so we could drag across the freeway to a safe zone. Also the police were able to witness and chase down the axle and parts that came off. We were extremely lucky. We were able to put it all back together again with a salvage title and got a brand new axle. Unfortunately for us we were a bit skittish after that with a single axle.
A note on insurance. They tried to give us a fraction of what we paid for it because they are not as familiar with these fiberglass models. We got letters from Scamp (very helpful) and with some back and forth discussion we were able to negotiate an acceptable amount.
KristiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #48

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It should have been investigated to determine the cause and appropiate action taken.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp